Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ looking at 'dine on demand' in business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:04 am
Original Poster

A thread-starter to see how this evolves: Singapore Airlines plans to introduce 'dine on demand' in business class, with trials expected in early 2020.

Also – shock, horror – the BTC Lobster Thermidor may be 'enhanced' to a lighter, healthier option.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...business-class

Personally I'm a big fan of dine-on-demand. I love the flexibility it gives me, especially on long-haul routes, but can even see how it'd work on a shorter leg such as SYD-SIN where I'd likely take my main meal in the lounge but would want something halfway through the flight plus a lighter something nearer to arrival.

The big issue is always that the meal service would be more sporadic, instead of built into a fixed two-hour window, so you might be sleeping in the middle of the flight while the crew are on and off setting up meals for passengers near to you.
Alawyer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
For long hauls I find that the crew is generally flexible enough to accommodate occasional requests for dine on demand - just that they don't out the trolleys of fruits/desserts for you to choose from etc. And how they are running SQ21/22 is largely dine on demand, though not the same full multicourse service that is the case now. But personally I'm fine with the shorter service as the extended one takes too long for me...

I haven't ordered the lobster thermidor in ages - mainly because I actually do find it a bit too rich and heavy. On afew occassions they've had a lobster mac & cheese on SQ21 and I've found it very good, with actually very light cheese element. Not a thick creamy sauce at all. I'd be happy to have that as a standard offering.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:10 am

Very good for long haul. Am always follow the destination clock.

Always straight to bed when doing LHR-SIN (evening flight), then wake up for breakfast and lunch.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by fimo
For long hauls I find that the crew is generally flexible enough to accommodate occasional requests for dine on demand - just that they don't out the trolleys of fruits/desserts for you to choose from etc. And how they are running SQ21/22 is largely dine on demand, though not the same full multicourse service that is the case now.
Similar experience as SQ 31/32 and 33/34.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
The flights I take tend to have a full meal immediately upon take off, so this is good news for me as I don't have to restrict my food intake in the lounge prior.

Having others eating while I'm sleeping isn't much of an issue to me as I'm a pretty heavy sleeper, but I can see how it would be annoying to light ones.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
The end of lobster thermidor :(

Sigh - enjoy the "antiquated" lobster while you can!

“Like everything, the Book The Cook programme evolves. The lobster thermidor is a perennial favourite but we’re looking at opportunities to modernise that, whether it be a lobster thermidor-type of dish or something similar and lobster- themed which is a little bit more modern, a little bit more healthy perhaps.

People like lobster, but we’re moving to an environment where people are becoming more health-conscious so maybe the creamy lobster dish is not the right one… maybe a beautiful grilled lobster with fresh asparagus or veggies might be another alternative, as long as we maintain the integrity of the dish.”
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Alawyer
Sigh - enjoy the "antiquated" lobster while you can!
The quality of it has dropped so much recently that I regretted ordering it last month!
Old Sep 29, 2019, 12:46 am

I wonder if people have become more health conscious, has it resulted in the number of lobster thermidors ordered over the years... hence changing to grilled lobster without cheese? I think this is a positive change as long as the lobster hasn’t been enchanted to half or quarter lobster, or just lobster bits.
djsflynn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.