Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The world's most OVERRATED airline - Singapore Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The world's most OVERRATED airline - Singapore Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by vsepr
I had 20 hours transit in April 2017
What was the route?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ps107
What was the route?
QR40 Paris CDG to Doha 1605/2330 A380 First Class
QR942 Doha to SIN 1945/0905+1 Business Class (replacement flight)

I was allowed to stay in the Al Safwa First Lounge for the entire duration because I was originally booked on another A380 First Class from DOH to BKK and Cathay Pacific from BKK to SIN. Ended up the DOH to BKK flight got swooped on the day of check in at Paris to a 2 class B777-300ER double-seater without First Class, so Qatar Airways negotiated with me to take QR942 directly back to SIN and reimbursed me via S$ cheque of S$83 for the overseas handphone calls because they called my handphone to negotiate in DOH and the DOH to BKK flight was overbooked. That was my very first trip with Qatar Airways and I experienced last minute plane swoop!!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:45 am

Oh wow, that made my next point a lot easier than I expected...

Getting to where you want to go non-stop in 1/3 of the time is overrated...?

​​​​​​I think I'd rather do ~13 hours in SQ economy class CDG-SIN than 41 hours in QR (or any airline) first class. I've got much better things to do with my time like argue with strangers on the internet!
SQ325, chisquared, cowie and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ps107; Aug 27, 2019 at 5:51 am
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ps107
Oh wow, that made my next point a lot easier than I expected...

Getting to where you want to go non-stop in 1/3 of the time is overrated...?

​​​​​​I think I'd rather do ~13 hours in SQ economy class CDG-SIN than 41 hours in QR (or any airline) first class. I've got much better things to do with my time like argue with strangers on the internet!
I purposely planned the flights that way so that I can enjoy both the Al Safwa First Lounge and Al Mourjan Business Lounge. Slept in the hotel rooms and had 3 meals in the Al Safwa First Lounge.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:57 am

I purposely planned the flights that way so that I can enjoy both the Al Safwa First Lounge and Al Mourjan Business Lounge. Slept in the hotel rooms and had 3 meals in the Al Safwa First Lounge.
just because of the meals, you booked the long transit? I would rather sleep in my bed instead.
ps107, SQ325, cowie and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:05 am

QR40 Paris CDG to Doha 1605/2330 A380 First Class
QR942 Doha to SIN 1945/0905+1 Business Class (replacement flight)

I was allowed to stay in the Al Safwa First Lounge for the entire duration because I was originally booked on another A380 First Class from DOH to BKK and Cathay Pacific from BKK to SIN. Ended up the DOH to BKK flight got swooped on the day of check in at Paris to a 2 class B777-300ER double-seater without First Class, so Qatar Airways negotiated with me to take QR942 directly back to SIN and reimbursed me via S$ cheque of S$83 for the overseas handphone calls because they called my handphone to negotiate in DOH and the DOH to BKK flight was overbooked. That was my very first trip with Qatar Airways and I experienced last minute plane swoop!!

last minute plane swap? The world best airlines should not have any plane swap. How can it disappoint those paxes by swapping the planes??? They should have more than enough money to keep spare planes around.

Further the world best best airline only compensate $83 to you? Despite downgrading you to business class from Doha??????? You never demand them to rebook you on emirates first class A380? Since Qatar is the world best airlines, they should be able to accept your request. How can a world best airlines downgrade a pax from first to business class.

And you still have to ask for permission to stay in the first class lounge (as what you said, you WAS allowed to stay in the first lounge). How can the world best airline treat you this way?
cowie likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:53 am

I am not biased against Qatar.
You minimize where Qatar is inferior to other airlines and emphasize where they excel compared to other airlines.

It's ok...you are entitled to your opinion...just admit you are biased (everyone is based on their personal needs/values) and you appoint Qatar world's best despite their shortcomings compared to other airlines.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

just because of the meals, you booked the long transit? I would rather sleep in my bed instead.
I want to experience fully the Al Safwa First Lounge & Al Mourjan Business Lounge.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

last minute plane swap? The world best airlines should not have any plane swap. How can it disappoint those paxes by swapping the planes??? They should have more than enough money to keep spare planes around.

Further the world best best airline only compensate $83 to you? Despite downgrading you to business class from Doha??????? You never demand them to rebook you on emirates first class A380? Since Qatar is the world best airlines, they should be able to accept your request. How can a world best airlines downgrade a pax from first to business class.

And you still have to ask for permission to stay in the first class lounge (as what you said, you WAS allowed to stay in the first lounge). How can the world best airline treat you this way?
Qatar Airways is notorious for last minute plane swoop. For First Class connecting to Business Class, you are only allowed to stay in the Al Safwa First Lounge for 6 hours. Emirates does not fly to Doha.
But onboard, Qatar Airways is really much better than SQ in all areas.

Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:31 pm

Qatar Airways is notorious for last minute plane swoop. For First Class connecting to Business Class, you are only allowed to stay in the Al Safwa First Lounge for 6 hours. Emirates does not fly to Doha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOyd9Ci6x_g&t=748s
I appreciate your input with regards Qatar as I am planning to fly with them next year, though I don't have the same level of vitriol against Singapore Airlines that you do LOL
Personally, I love flying SQ premium cabins when I get the chance, and because it doesn't have a lifetime status program it's not really on my radar except for short haul flights.
Singapore_Air and vsepr like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I appreciate your input with regards Qatar as I am planning to fly with them next year, though I don't have the same level of vitriol against Singapore Airlines that you do LOL
Personally, I love flying SQ premium cabins when I get the chance, and because it doesn't have a lifetime status program it's not really on my radar except for short haul flights.
Singapore Airlines is still a good airline just that it does not have the extras (lounges, GODIVA chocolates, cold/hot towels on a towel plate, light options for food, food presentation, service attitude, wine-tasting, photos of wine bottles in menu cards, separate food & drinks menu, seat with sliding door, self-service area in non-Qsuite planes, amenity kit, pajamas, turn down service) that Qatar Airways have. Once you have flown in the Business Class cabins of Singapore Airlines & Qatar Airways, you will know what I mean. I am not biased. What I stated are facts and not made up.

Last edited by vsepr; Aug 27, 2019 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I want to experience fully the Al Safwa First Lounge & Al Mourjan Business Lounge.
I mean, they're nice lounges no doubt. However after the 8th or 10th or 20th time you've been there the magic starts to slowly fade. I'd much rather be flying 40,000ft overhead in a new SQ F suite on the A380 sipping Dom on my way to my desitnation rather than sitting in the Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounge waiting to board my 77W QSuite. But perhaps that's just me.
cowie and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
I mean, they're nice lounges no doubt. However after the 8th or 10th or 20th time you've been there the magic starts to slowly fade. I'd much rather be flying 40,000ft overhead in a new SQ F suite on the A380 sipping Dom on my way to my desitnation rather than sitting in the Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounge waiting to board my 77W QSuite. But perhaps that's just me.
It was my FIRST and ONLY time in the Al Safwa First Lounge...I stayed there until I know every corner of the lounge.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
You minimize where Qatar is inferior to other airlines and emphasize where they excel compared to other airlines.

It's ok...you are entitled to your opinion...just admit you are biased (everyone is based on their personal needs/values) and you appoint Qatar world's best despite their shortcomings compared to other airlines.
I'm not the only one who thinks so. Please read this article: Review: Why Qatar Airways' Qsuite Is The World's Best Business Class

https://www.executivetraveller.com/r...business-class
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOyd9Ci6x_g&t=748s
so Qatar is still not perfect at all. If it is the best, then should not have any swap at all. They should have replacement planes on standby basis.

Only 6 hours? But you are suppose to fly 1st class to BKK right? So you still have to ask for permission to stay longer in the first class lounge?

And you did not answer why Qatar did not compensate you for downgrading? Oh so Emirates does not fly Doha, but Qatar didn’t rebook you on other airlines in first class but choose to downgrade to business class? This is what a best airline will do?

further why they still have to call you to rebook ? There isn’t any one in the lounge that can help you to do the rebooking ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.