Skipping last leg on an award ticket?

Old May 7, 19, 11:02 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SIN
Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Posts: 679
Skipping last leg on an award ticket?

Hello!

Has any one of you ever booked an award ticket XXX-SIN-YYY or XXX-SIN/SIN-YYY (I.e. building in a stopover at SIN) and then skipped the last leg, debarking in SIN and just calling it a day? If yes, were there ever any negative consequences by SQ / KF for doing so, like having to pay a no-show fee or a retrospective repricing of the award ticket?
NetJets Germany is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 7:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: KF EG
Posts: 58
Why do you want to do that?
If you do not want to travel the last leg XXX-SIN should be cheaper in miles
You could also do SIN-YYY at a later date by requesting a stopover at SIN at a fee of USD100 if this is a one-way award (you can stopover for a year)
Kelvin L is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 9:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BNA/LAX/BWI/SZX/SIN
Posts: 605
No consequences - just make sure you have no baggage checked through.
currentjer is offline  
Old May 9, 19, 12:13 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,072
Originally Posted by Kelvin L View Post
Why do you want to do that?
If you do not want to travel the last leg XXX-SIN should be cheaper in miles
It could be a solution to only seeing "married sector" availability (ie. awards seat available only on the connecting flights, XXX-SIN-YYY, but not on the XXX-SIN sector by itself.)

For a lot of points of origin, travelling to Zones 2 & 3 (South East Asia) will be same as XXX-SIN, and for some origins (Australia/NZ), awards to Zone 4 (HKG, TPE, southern China) are also the same. Although there will be extra taxes in all instances.
lokijuh is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 9:00 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany View Post
Hello!

Has any one of you ever booked an award ticket XXX-SIN-YYY or XXX-SIN/SIN-YYY (I.e. building in a stopover at SIN) and then skipped the last leg, debarking in SIN and just calling it a day? If yes, were there ever any negative consequences by SQ / KF for doing so, like having to pay a no-show fee or a retrospective repricing of the award ticket?
No penalty so far, and i do it a lot
Hopefully it won't learn from LH skiplagged.
If is due to married segment availability, reserved XXX-SIN-YYY, then before issuance/time limit ask agent to drop YYY. Then you still get XXX-SIN.
terbangalways is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 9:27 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SIN
Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
It could be a solution to only seeing "married sector" availability (ie. awards seat available only on the connecting flights, XXX-SIN-YYY, but not on the XXX-SIN sector by itself.)

For a lot of points of origin, travelling to Zones 2 & 3 (South East Asia) will be same as XXX-SIN, and for some origins (Australia/NZ), awards to Zone 4 (HKG, TPE, southern China) are also the same. Although there will be extra taxes in all instances.
Actually the taxes for transiting SIN are low because the government wants to encourage transit. It's the taxes for stopping/ originating in SIN that are high

P.S. Maybe the thread about Jewel should start discussing who subsidised Jewel the most
Unionruler is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 9:57 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SIN
Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Posts: 679
Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
No penalty so far, and i do it a lot
Hopefully it won't learn from LH skiplagged.
If is due to married segment availability, reserved XXX-SIN-YYY, then before issuance/time limit ask agent to drop YYY. Then you still get XXX-SIN.
Yes, that is indeed where I am coming from. Hadn't thought of actually informing SQ about dropping SIN-YYY, but if you say that they don't mind if you call them in advance and they allow to do it, even better!
NetJets Germany is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 9:32 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany View Post
Yes, that is indeed where I am coming from. Hadn't thought of actually informing SQ about dropping SIN-YYY, but if you say that they don't mind if you call them in advance and they allow to do it, even better!
I mean discreetly.......
You do need to HUCA if one agent refused to do so.
Most times, i'll just skip it entirely and don't bother showing up at gate.
terbangalways is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 9:47 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,072
Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
It's the taxes for stopping/ originating in SIN that are high
There are only taxes for departing SIN (not in transit), nothing for arriving passengers (I thought this was so, but just double checked itamatrix to confirm). So someone travelling XXX-SIN will not have any SIN related taxes/charges in their ticket, and nor will someone travelling XXX-SIN-YYY. In some instances there may be taxes or charges relating to arrival in YYY.
lokijuh is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 10:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SIN
Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
There are only taxes for departing SIN (not in transit), nothing for arriving passengers (I thought this was so, but just double checked itamatrix to confirm). So someone travelling XXX-SIN will not have any SIN related taxes/charges in their ticket, and nor will someone travelling XXX-SIN-YYY. In some instances there may be taxes or charges relating to arrival in YYY.
https://sbr.com.sg/aviation/news/cha...tarting-july-1\

It is an Airport Development Levy to be precise, but there is in fact a charge for XXX-SIN-YYY transfer.

Edit: Actually there is a S$6 airport tax too. Please read up beyond ITAMatrix...

https://www.changiairport.com/conten...%20Charges.pdf
Unionruler is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 11:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,072
Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
Edit: Actually there is a S$6 airport tax too. Please read up beyond ITAMatrix...
Yes thank you - the links reaffirm my original claim, as they all show charges applicable to departing passengers and make no mention of charges for arriving passengers, which is what I was saying (reread both my posts).

ITA matrix lists our the charges passengers pay. The links you provide are all entirely consistent with ITA matrix and refer to departing passengers, although you did bring to my attention the charge to transiting passengers on departure which I must have missed when I looked at a particular quote

So someone travelling XXX-SIN-YYY will pay more taxes/charges than someone travelling XXX-SIN, which is what I said in the first place.
lokijuh is offline  
Old May 12, 19, 12:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SIN
Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
So someone travelling XXX-SIN will not have any SIN related taxes/charges in their ticket, and nor will someone travelling XXX-SIN-YYY.
This is the false part of your statement--- such a pax has $9 worth of SIN related charges
Unionruler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread