Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Charged YQ on award booking operated by Air Canada within North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Does KrisFlyer still charge fuel surcharge for Air Canada between Canada and USA?

I booked an award seat in J on AC YYZ to SFO. I was charged both YQ and US (I guess since the YQ caused the ticket not to be "free").

I looked at my receipt and I am basically paying the same taxes as an Aeroplan award ticket for the same itinerary.

I was expecting the taxes to be more in line with that of MP or LM (~ 50 USD).

I've tried reaching out to them, but been giving "the amount you are charged is tax" and not looking into the individual charges that make up the ~120 SGD. Don't want to pursue it further if I'm in the wrong since I'd rather not have my booking messed up at this point.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: -
Were you able to fix this? They are trying to charge YQ on a GRU-YYZ one way.

There's no YQ leaving Brazil so I don't understand how that can be (see pasted info from ITA matrix below)

Have tried speaking with supervisors but the agents refuse to transfer me.

Fare 1: Carrier AC D0BOW SAO to YTO (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code D
Covers GRU-YYZ (Business)
S$6,492.30
Brazil Embarkation Fee International (BR)
S$42.20
Subtotal per passenger
S$6,535.20
Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 adult
S$6,535.20
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@jfkcnf

OP is about an Aeroplan award ticket and YQ.
Reading your post, you seem to be talking about a paid ticket on AC, unless you are using KF miles toward the GRU-YYZ one way flight.
Can you clarify?

There are threads on the AC forum about the issue of YQ on award tickets. Some have posted that AC charges it even if other *A FFPs don't on the same routes.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by 24left
@jfkcnf

OP is about an Aeroplan award ticket and YQ.
Reading your post, you seem to be talking about a paid ticket on AC, unless you are using KF miles toward the GRU-YYZ one way flight.
Can you clarify?

There are threads on the AC forum about the issue of YQ on award tickets. Some have posted that AC charges it even if other *A FFPs don't on the same routes.
The OP's thread title refers to an award ticket.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fimo
The OP's thread title refers to an award ticket.
Which I wrote in my post when replying to Poster .#2 as he listed various dollar amounts.

I was replying to him to ask for clarification, especially since the OP was from April 2019 and post .#2 was from yesterday
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:12 pm

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...rule115_en.pdf

referring to the above document ,AC does charge carrier surcharge from Brazil. And i think SQ is only collecting on behalf of AC.

and apparently from AC website , doing a dummy booking, the surcharge is hidden under the fares (not under taxes)

Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by 24left
Which I wrote in my post when replying to Poster .#2 as he listed various dollar amounts.

I was replying to him to ask for clarification, especially since the OP was from April 2019 and post .#2 was from yesterday
Aha! Totally did not catch that LOL....
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: -
This is helpful, thanks. Indeed it's "hidden/included" in the fare (either that or YQ is not being collected).

That said, if it's part of the fare, you'd think that it should NOT be charged (in theory your miles pay for the fare component of a ticket).

By the way, read on some Brazilian forums that people had same issue with TAP points ( booked AC ticket using TAP points). Posters claim they sued TAP and won + damages (link below in Portuguese only, comment section).

Juice not worth the squeeze for me, just stinks that I won't be able to use the points. Hopefully someone fixes the issue eventually.

https://passageirodeprimeira.com/com...es-com-milhas/

Last edited by jfkcnf; Jan 12, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:17 pm
Suspended

@sbs2716g

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...rule115_en.pdf

referring to the above document ,AC does charge carrier surcharge from Brazil. And i think SQ is only collecting on behalf of AC.

and apparently from AC website , doing a dummy booking, the surcharge is hidden under the fares (not under taxes)

It's not exactly hidden on either paid AC tickets or Aeroplan tickets. It seems a few people are not clicking "View Details" On the cost summary pages so they can't see the YQ and any other fees that are charged.

@jfkcnf

Originally Posted by jfkcnf
This is helpful, thanks. Indeed it's "hidden/included" in the fare (either that or YQ is not being collected).

That said, if it's part of the fare, you'd think that it should NOT be charged (in theory your miles pay for the fare component of a ticket).

By the way, read on some Brazilian forums that people had same issue with TAP points ( booked AC ticket using TAP points). Posters claim they sued TAP and won + damages (link below in Portuguese only, comment section).

Juice not worth the squeeze for me, just stinks that I won't be able to use the points. Hopefully someone fixes the issue eventually.

Aeroplan and AC are not going to fix anything. In fact, AC charges YQ on routes and for airlines that UA or NH or SQ do not and may not. It's a major vent-fest on AC FT re this.

A good way to see differences between FFPs is to look up the exact same routing for an award ticket on the same carrier and see the YQ being charged.

BTW, there is a thread on the AC forum discussing carriers that don't charge YQ

See post 215 and 216 on this page

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Another example, posts 496, 503 and 508 in this thread (many carriers are mentioned since it's Aeroplan)

How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions
Polarbeeer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.