Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Flight 31 flight time suddenly an hour faster??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Hello experts,
I am ticketed on SQ31 for Sunday, 31 March, taking off from SFO at 11:30am, landing in Changi airport at 7:10pm. I am connecting to flight 502 to BLR at 8:05pm. Tight connection, but I'll take it. Here is the crazy part: looking at the SQ31 flights SFO-SIN for the past month, they all were scheduled to take off at 10:30, landing at 7:05. They typically landed between 6:30 and 7. Now starting on Sunday, Singapore is changing the take-off from 10:30 to 11:30, but keeping the landing time at 7:05. They claim the flight time will be an hour faster. Does this make any sense? Did they get confused and assumed US daylight savings starts on Sunday March 31st???

Thanks,
Reza
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:37 pm

Nothing to worry. SQ follow the normal daylight saving time instead of US one. SQ32 flight also increase by 1 hr.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:49 am

Add on. The departure time before 9th March is actually 930am.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:12 pm

Daylight saving right?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

No, it's not because of time change. The time change in the US happened back in early March as you point out. And there is no daylight savings in Singapore.
I got a hold of the office in SFO, and they confirmed that,Yes, starting March 31st, the flight will be an hour faster! They didn't give me a good reason
I write this as I sit on the plane. We are going to be at least 40 minutes late, and I will likely miss my connection. Fuming!!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Daylight saving right?
US switched to daylight savings on 8 Mar. Timetable has had same arrival time in SG. Before 8 Mar departure time as 9:30 (PST), then switched to 10:30 (PDT) and has now switched to 11:30 (PDT) for the northern summer timetable. According to EF, switches back to 10:30 (PDT) for northern winter timetable (27 OCT) and then back to 9:30 (PST) upon conclusion of daylight savings.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by rtaheri
. We are going to be at least 40 minutes late, and I will likely miss my connection. Fuming!!
Flightaware showing arrival as 19:35, SQ site showing current arrival as 19:40. Although assume you may have more up to date info on board.

Don't fume until you miss your connection! 25 minutes at Changi is still not an impossible connection, and I bet you are not the only one making that same connection. SFO-BLR I am sure is a popular route on SQ.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Yes, starting March 31st, the flight will be an hour faster! They didn't give me a good reason
From what I understand, the headwind in the northern hemisphere is stronger during the winter; consequently the tailwind when heading to the States is stronger. When I flew the sin-sfo route in January, I noticed that the flight time was noticeably shorter than the time I flew it in August.

Airlines usually overestimate the flight time for schedule buffers and such, but I didn’t think they would actually adjust the flight duration on their website due to these seasonal factors. I also recently noticed what you saw on the website too, so I thought it was interesting that they would make that change on their website when they can just use the average winter flight time as an overestimate all year round to be conservative.

Last edited by arthursiew; Apr 1, 2019 at 5:13 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I write this as I sit on the plane. We are going to be at least 40 minutes late, and I will likely miss my connection. Fuming!!
Did you eventually make your connection? 31-Mar's SQ31 seems to have landed in Changi at 7:55pm, but SQ502 seems to have also been delayed to 8.45pm.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Update: yes, I did make my connection. They held the second flight because there were 20 people connecting to the blr flight
And yes the change in flight time is due to the change in wind. That's understandabke. What confused me is that they make a single, drastic change one time rather than a gradual change
Thanks everyone for your advice!!
Cheers
Reza
lokijuh and w4rd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.