Birthday Upgrade

Old Mar 18, 19, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Birthday Upgrade

Hi guys,

I am flying on SQ860(SIN-HKG) on my birthday come June... Can I just ask what are the chances of me being offered a free upgrade to business class? Some background info: I am just a normal Krisflyer member with almost enough miles(~19k KFMiles) to redeem a heavily discounted one-way business class ticket (SIN-HKG/HKG-SIN) under the spontaneous escapes promotion. Would checking in online 48 hours before departure increase/decrease my chances?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by toygg; Mar 18, 19 at 3:13 am Reason: duplicated wor
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:38 am

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
No change, still zero.
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Welcome to FT, and happy birthday, but a complimentary upgrade isn't to be expected.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Hmmmm..... How about a cake at least then? Wat are the chances of them spotting my birthday on Krisflyer system?
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Very slim. I'm not aware that SQ loads birthday cakes.
Old Mar 18, 19, 5:27 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
You can call Krisflyer and ask them to put a request for a cake for yourself as a surprise ........
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Apparently I heard from my friends that they all got a free birthday cake whenever they flew on their birthdays as a surprise from SQ. Not sure whether its true... They are just normal Krisflyer member, not under any elite loyalty status whatsoever.
Old Mar 18, 19, 7:58 am

Programs: SIA PPS, OZ Asiana Club, CX MPC, IHG Royal Amb, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
I flew on SQ from SIN-HKG in J class on paid commercial ticket on my actual birthday in Jan 2019 as a PPS Club member. The crew only noticed my birthday when I was on-boarded. There was no cake loaded (I had check-in online 1.5 days before flight) and they have to find some cookies to wish me happy birthday.
Old Mar 18, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Checked in 2.5 hours before my birthday, check in agent saw my passport and my date of birth. Not a word. Maybe a surprise beep at the gate?

Nah. Was in 50-something G with no cake, no wishes from anyone. At least at that time it was a new 77W.

Old Mar 18, 19, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Just got off the phone with SIA customer service, the cake is free for all passengers(Economy included), u jus got to request for 1 so that they could prepare it for u on that particular flight.
Old Mar 18, 19, 11:27 am

My upcoming flight in two weeks is +/- one day of my birthday. A cake has been ordered to be uplifted on board Currently in 12D/F on the A350 so only seat upgrade would be to Row 11 but currently occupied per EF.
Old Mar 18, 19, 1:44 pm
Suspended

No. Upgrades are rare without status or a highly unusual customer service or booking circumstance anyhow. People asking because it's their birthday or they are on their honeymoon have a better chance of getting hit by a car.

Remember, there are hundreds of people on a flight. Odds are a half a dozen of them have the same birthday as you.

At least you had the sense to ask here, rather than at the check-in where someone's eyes are going to be spared a roll.
Old Mar 18, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AS MVP Gold; DL DM
Why does everyone think they deserve s birthday upgrade? Iím just glad to have a seat Iíve picked, even though Iíll always take a better one.....Iím not entitled to anything.....also glad to see that my feet hit the ground each day.....
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:21 am

For a point of comparison, when I flew on my birthday this year, BA paged me in the first class lounge, and a waitress offered me a glass of Krug champagne from the Concorde Room. That was the extent of recognition for my birthday. Good enough. I have OW Emerald status.
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:48 am

I agree with 'boss315'; airlines shouldn't have to track everybodies birthday in addition to everything else.

Last edited by yakel; Mar 19, 19 at 9:49 am Reason: provide more detail

Search this Thread