Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-HYD Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:44 pm
HAF
Original Poster

SFO-HYD Recommendation

Hi all - for the past few years i have been taking 3-4 business trips a year SFO-HYD on J - i have used EK and CX mainly.... however the last few trips i have used CX because the price has been considerably cheaper than EK and i like the 1-2-1 config on both legs SFO-HKG-HYD 777/330 in addition to getting in at HYD a little earlier than the 3:30am arrival with EK.

For my upcoming trip SQ is coming up at a very reasonable price and i am pretty sure the A350 SFO-SIN will be awesome however I am not sure about silkair B738 SIN-HYD recliner seats esp on the return which is a red eye. What do you all think? is the soft product on SQ that much better that i should consider them or shall i stick with CX flat bed on all flights? oh... and I will be adding the miles on Alaska - which i have been doing for both EK and CX - i think for the most part that should be almost the same as CX or EK.

Thank you
--haf
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
As for myself, I like to try different airlines - so why not check what kind of products SQ / MI have on this route.

I don't like the EK product - 77W has 2+3+2 from what I recall. I'm sure you are more familiar with that option.

I fly CX a fair bit on the SIN-HKG route - a mix of long-haul / regional cabins. Either is fine for 3.5h.

From my perspective, SQ are a great airline and SIN is a nice airport. Clearly there are a lot of different opinions re seat / service etc. At the very least I'd say SQ is a good option.

OK, SilkAir regional J cabin is probably quite similar to AS domestic F. Perhaps recline is better on MI? Have only flown AS a few times, and last time was a number of years ago.

I'm quite OK with the SilkAir product for a 4h flight (presumably SIN-HYD is around 4.5h). Typically fly with them to regional cities in PRC. I'm able to get some sleep in those seats if needed.

I don't think you'd go wrong with SQ either.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I flew Silk air J on same route a few years back. I was probably tired and wasn’t going to work next day, so did not make a diff. Service was excellent as usual. Hyd airport is small and efficient.
If you really want a long haul plane, you can book SQ from BOM or MAA. Both are about an hour from Hyd and cheap domestic fares are available. Obviously it’s a waste of time, but one can also look at it as an opportunity to visit something new in those cities.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:00 pm
HAF
Original Poster

actually my colleague just returned back having used SQ for this same itin and he was not impressed on the SFO-SIN segment. seat needs to be made into bed manually, not enough leg room (weird position) in bed position, no amenity kit... so i will for cathay. their business class seat is way better. and frankly this is the most important factor for me when travelling such a long distance.

--haf
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:53 am

I get all the other comments apart from the amenity kit

I think both SQ and CX seats are fine but appreciate people have different opinions.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nanyang
I get all the other comments apart from the amenity kit

I think both SQ and CX seats are fine but appreciate people have different opinions.
Yeah, how much lip balm and combs do I need collecting dust? The cases are sometimes useful but at some point I have enough. I actually respect an approach of “you can certainly ask for things you need but we won’t shovel a load of stuff you might not need at you.”
jkingsle likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:48 am
HAF
Original Poster

I agree - amenity kit aside - when traveling 24+ hrs around the world it is about the seat:
this attrocity

vs this

i know which has my business. thank you very much
--haf
Unionruler likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:18 am

Hmmm, calling the SQ long-haul seat "this attrocity" on the SQ forum...

Hot take?

Now, I've found it good enough to get some sleep on SQ flights. Perhaps it's a matter of opinion.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ll find out early next year; I’ve booked a BLR-SIN-SEA I fare on SQ.

I’ve flown TATL Y and middle seat transcon so my standards on atrocious may differ. Oddly enough CX longhaul is always in F, though I have been in CX longhaul J on short flights. It seemed OK (I’ll be in a variation of it on AY this summer).
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I’ll find out early next year; I’ve booked a BLR-SIN-SEA I fare on SQ.

I’ve flown TATL Y and middle seat transcon so my standards on atrocious may differ. Oddly enough CX longhaul is always in F, though I have been in CX longhaul J on short flights. It seemed OK (I’ll be in a variation of it on AY this summer).
by that time, you might get to travel on the new regional J or as-of-now-not disclosed new J on 737max!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spk307

by that time, you might get to travel on the new regional J or as-of-now-not disclosed new J on 737max!
I get A350 regional J on the BLR-SIN redeye. I’m going to try and pass out on that flight and only nap on the SIN-SEA flight to try and suffer minimal jet lag.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:11 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
In my experience, the problem with short red eyes like HYD-SIN isn’t the lack of flatbeds but rather the short flight time.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
In my experience, the problem with short red eyes like HYD-SIN isn’t the lack of flatbeds but rather the short flight time.
I suspect that to be the case but I figure 2ish hours sleep on the short leg + a nap on the long leg would be fine. Then just stay up as much as possible the day of arrival to get back on US West Coast time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.