Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Best Seat Selection for travelling with Kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

I am flying on SQ327 MUC - SIN and then SQ288 SIN to SYD later this year

There are 4 of us travelling in Business class, My wife, myself an our 2 daughters aged 2 and 5.

It would seem obvious for us to select two rows in the middle one with each child so we are seated together but I am conscious that on both these aircraft the configuration may be awkward to tend to each of our daughters.

Has anybody traveled business in this configuration with young kids? Is it better for us to be across the isle from each other rather than the two middle seats?

Appreciate any comments.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I'd take a single row. It's not easy to jump between middle rows so aisle + middle combination is better.

Also there's loads of privacy between the middle seats so sitting side by side there wouldn't mean the kids would be able to see you easily.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:38 am

Agree with PAGD.

Anytime layout is 1-2-1 when traveling with kids always best to have one at window and parent sitting opposite. Easier to reach across and also in this case you are on same side of plane for aisle access.
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:53 am

Single aisle. I traveled solo with my two kids (ages 9 and 11 at time of travel) in J on SQ32 SIN-SFO. I sat on the aisle, with my youngest across the aisle from me and the older kiddo on the far middle seat. Sitting in the aisle will allow you to lean forward to see the kids without getting up.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I think you are right being across the isle from them will enable us to better tend to them. I just worry slightly about take off and landing as I can't get to them during that time. bear in mind I am dealing with a 2 year old and 5 year old

Cheers
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Wramsey1980
I just worry slightly about take off and landing as I can't get to them during that time.
You wouldn’t be able to get to them during take-off and landing even if you and your child are both seated in middle seats. In fact, in case of an emergency where you needed to get to them despite the plane taking off/landing, I think you’d be better off sitting across the aisle from them rather than next to them in the middle.

If you’re particularly concerned about this, I have a slightly unorthodox suggestion. Ask the FAs if you can be seated in Y for take-off and landing, so that you can make sure you are right next to your children while buckled in. I imagine they’ll be fine with this if there is space.
Ex-SIN likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I'd take a single row. It's not easy to jump between middle rows so aisle + middle combination is better.

Also there's loads of privacy between the middle seats so sitting side by side there wouldn't mean the kids would be able to see you easily.
Originally Posted by Mlee888
Agree with PAGD.

Anytime layout is 1-2-1 when traveling with kids always best to have one at window and parent sitting opposite. Easier to reach across and also in this case you are on same side of plane for aisle access.
Interesting. I have never thought of it this way around. I guess I'd need to keep kid numbers below 2 for this to work
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by chisquared

You wouldn’t be able to get to them during take-off and landing even if you and your child are both seated in middle seats. In fact, in case of an emergency where you needed to get to them despite the plane taking off/landing, I think you’d be better off sitting across the aisle from them rather than next to them in the middle.

If you’re particularly concerned about this, I have a slightly unorthodox suggestion. Ask the FAs if you can be seated in Y for take-off and landing, so that you can make sure you are right next to your children while buckled in. I imagine they’ll be fine with this if there is space.
I flew with my two kids in the old Suites when they were similar aged....as they have flown multiple times they were both fine. The five year old was watching cartoons and the younger one I could watch her drinking her bottle.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Wramsey1980
Thanks all. I think you are right being across the isle from them will enable us to better tend to them. I just worry slightly about take off and landing as I can't get to them during that time. bear in mind I am dealing with a 2 year old and 5 year old

Cheers
You can make the 2 year sit with you during take off & landing.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I tried asking if a 2 year old can sit together, but they wouldn't allow. Very strict (at least on all SQ flights)!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
On similar lines, if you are flying with an infant, would you select the front middle seats in 1-2-1 on a 77W?
Am undecided between using the bassinet (which my infant is not happy with anyway) or moving to a middle row to avoid the noise from galley and toilets.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:32 am

I have always put mine in the middle for 1-2-1 configuration since they needed seats for themselves i.e. >2 years old
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:11 pm

I’ve just done this actually.

Outbound managed to get bulkhead seats 19a and d and return had back row. Was easier with bulkhead seats as there was more space to sit and even sleep with my 2 year old.

Bit more noisier though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.