Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ J or QSuites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

SQ J or QSuites?

Trying to decide which J product to take from JFK - SIN. Have flown in SQ J many times and am accustomed to it, but wondering if I should try QSuites this time instead. My main motivations are: the presence of a suite door, pajamas and amenity kit in QR J is quite appealing, and the flight time from JFK - DOH gives more time for a good night's rest, vs. from JFK - FRA. Any input?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
QR has a very good J hard product and a slightly inconsistent but quite decent soft product. Plus Al-Mourjan is a great lounge.

Jet lag and how much you can sleep on planes and how rested you feel I’ve seen is really person dependent. I generally struggle with jet lag traveling west to east no matter what time my flights are.

Since you’ve already experienced SQ J. Trying QR J is a no-brainer in my books - absolutely worth experiencing.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Depending on your travel needs and FFP mileage collection, both J class products are excellent.

However, I think Qatar Airways has an edge over Singapore Airlines these days.

My money would be to go with Qatar Airways.
pennystinkard likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Depending on your travel needs and FFP mileage collection, both J class products are excellent.

However, I think Qatar Airways has an edge over Singapore Airlines these days.

My money would be to go with Qatar Airways.
Well, it's easier to accrue miles for Qatar than for SQ, particularly with the recent announcement of SQ's devaluation, so I think it makes sense to go with QR for the year, at least. One beef I've always had with SQ J is how hard the lie-flat beds are, so hopefully QR will be an improvement. Thanks for your input!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by pennystinkard
Well, it's easier to accrue miles for Qatar than for SQ, particularly with the recent announcement of SQ's devaluation, so I think it makes sense to go with QR for the year, at least. One beef I've always had with SQ J is how hard the lie-flat beds are, so hopefully QR will be an improvement. Thanks for your input!
I would not go to QR for the miles. While everyone hates a devaluation I think SQ’s redemption program is miles ahead of QR.

Whether or not SQ (or *A) accruals make sense for you is a different matter.
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

I would not go to QR for the miles. While everyone hates a devaluation I think SQ’s redemption program is miles ahead of QR.

Anecdotal evidence - simply from reading the QR board - suggests that yes, accruing Miles is easy, but redeeming them appears to be rather a lot more difficult. YMMV.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
I'd go with QR for the following reasons.
- Dine on Demand; Eating at the right time makes it easier to adjust.
- Depending on which connection you take, the arrival in SG is 9+am or 9+pm, which is easier to get over jetlag than a 6+am arrival on SQ.

For miles, you could credit to AA or CX I guess, if you're after reasonably priced redemptions.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE

I don’t understand your reply.

You can bank your QR flying on any oneworld or affiliate partner FFP just like you can with SQ where you get the best bang for your buck.

I still think QR J class experience is better than SQ.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by 380Flyer

I don’t understand your reply.

You can bank your QR flying on any oneworld or affiliate partner FFP just like you can with SQ where you get the best bang for your buck.

I still think QR J class experience is better than SQ.
Oh I think the QSuites & Al Mourjan are fantastic. Not necessarily better than SQ though (this is the SQ forum - you’re going to have SQ fanboys here)!

I meant QR’s miles programme isn’t the best. You can of course credit to any OW. I was saying one should avoid the QR programme.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jan 6, 2019 at 4:44 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfs24
I'd go with QR for the following reasons.
- Dine on Demand; Eating at the right time makes it easier to adjust.
- Depending on which connection you take, the arrival in SG is 9+am or 9+pm, which is easier to get over jetlag than a 6+am arrival on SQ.

For miles, you could credit to AA or CX I guess, if you're after reasonably priced redemptions.
Thanks, this really helps! Yes, it has always been rather difficult to request my meal dine-on-demand style on SQ J, so I like that QR J has this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Oh I think the QSuites & Al Mourjan are fantastic. Not necessarily better than SQ though (this is the SQ forum - you’re going to have SQ fanboys here)!

I meant QR’s miles programme isn’t the best. You can of course credit to any OW. I was saying one should avoid the QR programme.
Oh yes, I understood what you meant (OP here), and I was intending to redeem miles for QR, not accrue miles with QR's program. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany

Anecdotal evidence - simply from reading the QR board - suggests that yes, accruing Miles is easy, but redeeming them appears to be rather a lot more difficult. YMMV.
I would imagine it's about as hard as redeeming on SQ (i.e. it's necessary to redeem it 11 months in advance). For SQ I have found that the JFK gateway is incredibly difficult to secure award seats out of, so I'm used to wrangling for award space already. A quick glance at QR award availability a couple of days ago, for the latest date in the schedule, showed me one seat available (though not for the date I want), so hopefully it will be fine.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I'd just go based on schedule and price if it's between SQ and QR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.