Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Re-routing of flight - what happens to miles and PPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I was booked on a SQ ticket on Business (J) for Singapore --> Frankfurt (SQ) --> Vienna (Lufthansa but SQ codeshare) and back. I flew the sectors from Singapore to Vienna.

However, the flight from Vienna to Frankfurt was cancelled due to a storm at Frankfurt. After several attempts, they re-routed me on Qatar airways - Economy to Doha (no Business seat available), then Business from Doha to Singapore.

In such cases of re-routing (it obviously wasn't my choice), what happens to the mileage accrual and the PPS value for the return leg? It was paid for on a SQ ticket. Do I need to actively do anything?

Also, when there is a need to re-route, who is responsible for handling it? Lufthansa or SQ? The entire ticket was SQ and the Lufthansa sectors had a SQ flight number (codeshare).

Thank you for your advice.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You need to apply to SQ Krisflyer for ORC (original routing credit). Whether it will be approved, I have no idea as I have no experience with SQ Krisflyer. This is not an LH issue/LH can't do anything for you in terms of crediting Krisflyer miles.

Re-routing is handled by the carrier unable to perform. In line with this I assume that LH rebooked you to QR. You may also have been lucky that SQ would have been prepared to rebook you if you had given SQ a call but it is always better to ask the airport agents of the actual carrier to let them deal with it.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Seattle1
I was booked on a SQ ticket on Business (J) for Singapore --> Frankfurt (SQ) --> Vienna (Lufthansa but SQ codeshare) and back. I flew the sectors from Singapore to Vienna.

However, the flight from Vienna to Frankfurt was cancelled due to a storm at Frankfurt. After several attempts, they re-routed me on Qatar airways - Economy to Doha (no Business seat available), then Business from Doha to Singapore.

In such cases of re-routing (it obviously wasn't my choice), what happens to the mileage accrual and the PPS value for the return leg? It was paid for on a SQ ticket. Do I need to actively do anything?

Also, when there is a need to re-route, who is responsible for handling it? Lufthansa or SQ? The entire ticket was SQ and the Lufthansa sectors had a SQ flight number (codeshare).

Thank you for your advice.
as far as I know, you will not get the credit, as you need to actually fly the flights.

I was booked in SIN-BKK-HKG on 2 seperate CX flighs due to last minute arrangement. On the day of travel, they told me that there is seat avail on SIN-HKG flight that depart quite close to SIN-BKK flight timing and asking if I want to be on that flight. but they told me then I will only get credit on SIN-HKG (1 sector).

So, I am also interested to know if airlines will honor the original flights miles. especially when the flight was cancelled or delayed.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by lingua101
as far as I know, you will not get the credit, as you need to actually fly the flights.
It's called ORC for a reason. Every case is assessed individually.

I was booked in SIN-BKK-HKG on 2 seperate CX flighs due to last minute arrangement. On the day of travel, they told me that there is seat avail on SIN-HKG flight that depart quite close to SIN-BKK flight timing and asking if I want to be on that flight. but they told me then I will only get credit on SIN-HKG (1 sector).

So, I am also interested to know if airlines will honor the original flights miles. especially when the flight was cancelled or delayed.
This is a question for the CX forum. But my guess is no, given how it's a voluntary change.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seattle1
After several attempts, they re-routed me on Qatar airways - Economy to Doha (no Business seat available), then Business from Doha to Singapore.
And as this is FT we all hope you have gotten or will claim to a OW ffp for the QR flights. (double dipping ff miles is good ^ )
https://www.wheretocredit.com/qr/j
https://www.wheretocredit.com/qr/y (but you may not have flown Y booking fare class)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

That is incorrect. In the event of involuntary re-routing, a request for original routing credit can be made, to get the miles as if you'd flown the ticketed route. This has been my experience with many different operating airlines and many different frequent flyer programmes.

However, the CX example you gave would be a voluntary change, which is not eligible for original routing credit.
cowie likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That is incorrect. In the event of involuntary re-routing, a request for original routing credit can be made, to get the miles as if you'd flown the ticketed route. This has been my experience with many different operating airlines and many different frequent flyer programmes.

However, the CX example you gave would be a voluntary change, which is not eligible for original routing credit.

OK. I guess the key word is "involuntary". And needs to request for "missing" mileage claim I suppose. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And as this is FT we all hope you have gotten or will claim to a OW ffp for the QR flights. (double dipping ff miles is good ^ )
https://www.wheretocredit.com/qr/y (but you may not have flown Y booking fare class)
Thanks for the advice. Is double dipping actually allowed, or should it be done quietly?

Which airlines in OW would you recommend putting the miles in? I am based in Singapore, and fly Star Alliance as much as possible. Was thinking either American Airlines (in case United doesn't give options there) or Cathay Pacific (although in the region, more likely to try for SQ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice, everyone. I will see what I can do
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Is it all right to claim OW miles, and also claim miles from SQ? Is double dipping a standard practice when you get re-routed on different carriers?

I realized that I need to claim the Qatar airways flights within 30 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.