Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines wins World's Best Airline at the World Airline Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

As noted from the title, Singapore Airlines have won World's Best Airline at Skytrax' World Airline Awards for 2018.

They also won...

World's Best First Class
Best First Class Seat
Best First Class Lounge in Asia
Best Business Class Lounge in Asia
Best First Class in Asia
Best Business Class in Asia
Best Premium Economy Class in Asia
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Well done, SQ!

Not sure how The Private Room gets rated Best In Asia when they have The Pier etc as competition though?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:34 am

I am surprised too there Cathay din win anything in the lounge categories.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by Coathanger
Well done, SQ!

Not sure how The Private Room gets rated Best In Asia when they have The Pier etc as competition though?
I have a feeling that someone at SQ must have written a cheque to Skytrax to get all these awards. Their business class lounge is nothing to write home about (especially when comparing to CX's The Pier business class lounge).

I also don't think SQ's Premium Economy class product is all that great. It is a poor hardware product in comparison to the likes of EVA Air, Qantas and Cathay Pacific.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Well done, SQ!

I much prefer The Private Room to The Pier personally. Much quieter (not over-crowded with status-based access like The Pier) and service tends to be better too.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Their business class lounge is nothing to write home about (especially when comparing to CX's The Pier business class lounge).
I'd have to agree with that. The T3 SKL is a nice space but The Pier J is in a different league.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I much prefer The Private Room to The Pier personally. Much quieter (not over-crowded with status-based access like The Pier) and service tends to be better too.
That would be the one aspect where TPR is consistently better. Speaking from a 45 hour sample period there was never more than 10 people in the entire place.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Private Room is much better than the CX F lounges but the CX business lounges are much better than the SQ Biz Lounge, not to mention the lame Kris Flyer Gold lounges. I think that overall SQ has the best business class experience in Asia and the world although I find the seat on MU and CX better than the SQ seat. Premium economy is better on CX than SQ. First class is a toss up between the 2. I also had a surprisingly wonderful FC experience on CA earlier this year. Others are definitely catching up (or SQ is dropping down), but SQ is still very good.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
It seems that we've got a lot of CX fans here
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I've been a big fan of SQ since I was a kid, as a Young Explorer in fact, but it does't mean they are the best at everything.
davidj1 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
If you're based in Singapore or the region (SE Asia), and especially if you like to travel (long haul) West, then CX was always a great alternative to SQ, as one would have to stop-over somewhere anyway en route to the US or Canada. I would always prefer to fly CX to ORD, IAD, BOS or now SEA (From 31/3/19), instead of flying SQ to their US destinations and then having to continue on a US carrier.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:41 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Congratulations SQ! Congratulations for that award that'll very useful for marketing. Whilst I don't believe in Skytrax, it is a recognition that SQ well deserves.

Not something you'd often see over at the CX forum huh

Well done, SQ!

sad for CX...

..... anyways, The Pier's F&B offering has deteriorated a lot recently, after the change of lounge operators and it got very crowded too
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Congratulations SQ! Congratulations for that award that'll very useful for marketing. Whilst I don't believe in Skytrax, it is a recognition that SQ well deserves.

Not something you'd often see over at the CX forum huh

sad for CX...

..... anyways, The Pier's F&B offering has deteriorated a lot recently, after the change of lounge operators and it got very crowded too
yes. I found the pier dining boring and tasteless, especially their main. I prefer to get some real food from food court if I’ve got a not so short lay over.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It has something to do with:

1. It is easier to redeem premium awards from partner programs than CX's own MPC/AM.

2. CX treats OWEs really well, even in Y.

I am a SQ fan as well. But the reality is simple - its program sucks. So I am with UA instead.
User Name likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.