Wiki Posts
Search

No noise-canceling headphones

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United MileagePlus Silver
No noise-canceling headphones

I flew Singapore Airlines for the first time (just a short flight from SIN to KUL, and although it was, by and large, a lovely experience, one thing puzzled me. I wear noise-canceling earphones in the air and was told that I had to remove them during take-off and landing. Could it be that the airline doesn't understand that even with noise-canceling headphones, one can still hear voices on the intercom? I didn't argue and then removed them, of course, but part of the reason I wear them is to dampen the sound of the engines during take-off and landing. Does anyone know the reason that headphones are not allowed to be worn during those times?
Old May 21, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
First time we took our own Bose onboard, we were asked to remove them during landing as we would be unable to hear the FAs instructions clearly in the event of an emergency landing. Seems reasonable, havent worn them during a landing since.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:38 pm

It is for safety reasons that you are not supposed to be wearing headphones during take off and landing as you can't hear the verbal directions of flight attendants and the cables become trip hazards, they used to hand out headphones after the plane has reached cruising height but people now bring their own.
Having said this sometimes I have started watching movies with my headphones on whilst the plane has taken off so it depends on the flight attendants if they enforce the rules.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by ryry2003
It is for safety reasons that you are not supposed to be wearing headphones during take off and landing as you can't hear the verbal directions of flight attendants and the cables become trip hazards, they used to hand out headphones after the plane has reached cruising height but people now bring their own.
As I mentioned, the headphones were noise-canceling, which drown out ambient noise, yet allow voices to be heard. I understand not wearing regular headphones where you can't hear others speak, but I just wondered if there were some other reason.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Girlmusttravel
As I mentioned, the headphones were noise-canceling, which drown out ambient noise, yet allow voices to be heard. I understand not wearing regular headphones where you can't hear others speak, but I just wondered if there were some other reason.
Noise cancelling headphones, top of the line Bose which I use, don't allow me to hear the flight attendant ask if I want chicken or beef because they do cut out voices especially if the volume is up, yes you can hear the recorded or live voice through the intercom but not the direct voice of the airline staff member who is next to you.
As I said there are 2 main reasons and as not everyone has these types of headphones so it is an across the board rule, but again as has happened not all staff have strict adherence to these rules especially up the pointy end of the plane.
Glad to here you did the right thing and complied as some people would like to argue even the simplest of requests.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:52 am

The FAs don't know if they noise-canceling vs regular headphones, nor do they know if you're listening to something (loudly).
Old May 25, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by ryry2003
Noise cancelling headphones, top of the line Bose which I use, don't allow me to hear the flight attendant ask if I want chicken or beef because they do cut out voices especially if the volume is up, yes you can hear the recorded or live voice through the intercom but not the direct voice of the airline staff member who is next to you.
As I said there are 2 main reasons and as not everyone has these types of headphones so it is an across the board rule, but again as has happened not all staff have strict adherence to these rules especially up the pointy end of the plane.
Glad to here you did the right thing and complied as some people would like to argue even the simplest of requests.
Yup, my noise cancelling headphones tune out all sounds unless I put them on the setting that allows voices to to break through, nor do I always connect them to the onboard IFE. I never hear the FAs address me during meal times etc if they are not in my line of sight.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I flew Singapore Airlines for the first time (just a short flight from SIN to KUL, and although it was, by and large, a lovely experience, one thing puzzled me. I wear noise-canceling earphones in the air and was told that I had to remove them during take-off and landing. Could it be that the airline doesn't understand that even with noise-canceling headphones, one can still hear voices on the intercom? I didn't argue and then removed them, of course, but part of the reason I wear them is to dampen the sound of the engines during take-off and landing. Does anyone know the reason that headphones are not allowed to be worn during those times?
is it your own? I think they may think you are listening to your own music...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.