Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

UA F tkt - SQ lounge and other questions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

I have no status on UA, but will have an F ticket on UA SIN-HKG.

Can I use the SQ lounge?

My flight leaves at 6:45 in the morning - how early can I check in? I'll just be in SIN one night...could I go out for a late night and then just head to the airport at 2 or 3, hang in the lounge and then catch my early flight?

I know that may sound a little tacky, but I just don't think I'd prefer not to waste any of my 16 or so hours in SIN fooling around with hotel transfers, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

------------------
AA PLT
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
No, you can't use the SQ lounge. IIRC only LH & NZ pax have access to the Silver Kris Lounge in Terminal 2. All other *A carriers are in T1 and will use the SATS Premier Lounge.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fimo:
All other *A carriers are in T1 and will use the SATS Premier Lounge.</font>
...And it's TINY!

Only about ten chairs all bunched up. Small amount of offerings of food and beverage. No Internet access (you have to go to the business lounge next door).

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travels sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (18501894)
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Passengers with paid F tickets on UA have reported success with entering the SQ lounge in SIN.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I've been to SKL before with UA C BP. Avoid the SATs lounge if at all possible. There is way too many passengers, but take into account that SKL is in T2, while UA is in T1.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:54 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Buster CT1K:
Passengers with paid F tickets on UA have reported success with entering the SQ lounge in SIN.</font>
Interesting....

My experience at Changi says that the facts are more like what has been reported above. A UA boarding pass, even in F, will not grant you access to the Silver Kris lounge. Regardless, if you try this, please do report back to us on your luck.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies...I'm very curious, and I will certainly report back.

The UA agents say definitively that I am allowed access, as does the lounge matrix on united.com.

Since I haven't been to SIN before I'm not familiar with the airport layout. Will I have access to both terminals if I'm willing to walk between them?

Again, very much appreciate all the tips.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by workin_it:
Thanks for all the replies...I'm very curious, and I will certainly report back.

The UA agents say definitively that I am allowed access, as does the lounge matrix on united.com.

Since I haven't been to SIN before I'm not familiar with the airport layout. Will I have access to both terminals if I'm willing to walk between them?

Again, very much appreciate all the tips.
</font>

I would suggest getting a letter on UA letterhead about being able to access the SQ Lounge with your UA F ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anc-ord772:

I would suggest getting a letter on UA letterhead about being able to access the SQ Lounge with your UA F ticket.
</font>
But the final onus is with SQ Silver Kris agents.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:28 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Yeup... they will point you to the SATs lounge as it is the designated *A lounge. End 'o story. You aren't denied lounge access, just access to the SQ lounge. But do let us know what happens.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used the SQ F lounge while waiting for my UA flight last November. I got to the airport 2 hours early and checking in and immigration took about 5 minutes. I figured that I'd walk all the way to the SQ lounge to check it out as I'd only been into the biz class side before.

The walk is pretty long and at that hour the tram between terminals doesn't run but after about a 15 minute walk I arrived at the lounge. I was graciously welcomed to the first class side of the lounge and proceded to pig out on the delicious dim sums! I stayed there for about 1 hour. its great
Old Jan 31, 2004, 4:25 am

Programs: BA-Gld, BD Lifetime Gld, LH Pleb, *Wd GPG, HH-Dmd, Amex: can take their Cent card and <CENSORED>
I think this is as a result of the confusion between *A rules for lounge access when flying in economy (based on *G status) and reciprocal lounge access for premium passengers.

To *A's credit, at least they document their policy, unlike OW, which seems to leave you at the mercy of the lounge-gorgon-of-the-day!

The policy is Here

It basically says:

If you are flying in international F with any *A carrier, you, and a guest, can access any F lounge operated by any *A airline, or any business class lounge.

If you are flying in international J/C with any *A carrier, you (no guest) can access any Business Class lounge of any *A carrier.

This is completely seperate from the *G lounge access rules, which only relate to lounge access if you aren't already entitled to it via your ticket (e.g. if you are flying in domestic F on UA - Grrrrrrrrr!).

Take my advice, print the above out, carry it with you, it solves lots of problems!

Ken.

"Learn, Guys!" - Post-It note attached to a software licence agreement by Crowley the Demon, prior to sending said document down to the immortal soul contract department in the depths of hell. - From Good Omens, Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett
Old Jan 31, 2004, 6:44 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KenF:

Take my advice, print the above out, carry it with you, it solves lots of problems!

Wow. Unbelievable. I just love Flyer Talk. Thanks a million, KenF for the helpful link. I have printed the official policy and will have it with me in case there is any question.

Does anyone know what time I can check in for my UA flight. I arrive into SIN on SQ the afternoon before (from BKK), and depart on UA at 6:45 am next day (for HKG). Can I check in all the way through with SQ, or do I have to figure out what time the UA counters open, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">My experience at Changi says that the facts are more like what has been reported above. A UA boarding pass, even in F, will not grant you access to the Silver Kris lounge. Regardless, if you try this, please do report back to us on your luck.</font>
I've probably visited the Silver Kris lounge a dozen times while traveling on a UA boarding pass, including a number of times on an upgrade from Y to C.

My experience (admittedly none @ SIN since February of 2003) is that if you have a boarding pass on UA in C or F, you're in at the Silver Kris lounge.

If you have a Y boarding pass, my experience is that no number of *A gold cards will get you in there.

Greg

Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by workin_it:

Does anyone know what time I can check in for my UA flight. I arrive into SIN on SQ the afternoon before (from BKK), and depart on UA at 6:45 am next day (for HKG). Can I check in all the way through with SQ, or do I have to figure out what time the UA counters open, etc.
</font>
I think it should not be a problem checking thru your bags all the way to HKG, but that depends on how good the check-in agent is. No matter what, you should reconfirm in SIN to make sure your luggage gets on your HKG flight.

SKL is a nice lounge, and they got shower rooms if you need to get refreshed. Internet PC, and wireless lan if you brought your own laptop....a stark contrast to the SATs lounge IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.