Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350-900 ULR Singapore Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:19 pm

If you folks had the choice of only one of SQ 21 or SQ 22 in business, which would you pick?

SQ 21, 9:45am to 5:15pm seems like more reasonable timing, as you can enjoy a nice meal service after taking off and before landing with (a lot of) sleep in between.
SQ 22, 12:40am to 5:30am feels like a SUUUUPER long redeye. I'm not sure I'd want to eat right after getting on that flight and then I'm not sure if the meal service would even be aligned when when I get my appetite back.

Also, saver award availability == upgradeability from PE right? So if I can search a 92k miles business award, then it should be safe to book a PE flexi ticket and transfer 47k miles into my SQ account for the upgrade...?

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
I was unable to find a single day where a business class award seat for 92K miles (saver rate) was available on this flight, even at the end of their schedule. As was suggested by the phone interaction, it appears that awards/upgrades on this flight are currently blocked. Please post if you have been able to book an award on this flight.
I am definitely seeing saver business redemptions available, 184k miles for a round-trip, though haven't grabbed one yet. Have you tried looking at itineraries that connect in SIN?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by mizzao
If you folks had the choice of only one of SQ 21 or SQ 22 in business, which would you pick?

SQ 21, 9:45am to 5:15pm seems like more reasonable timing, as you can enjoy a nice meal service after taking off and before landing with (a lot of) sleep in between.
SQ 22, 12:40am to 5:30am feels like a SUUUUPER long redeye. I'm not sure I'd want to eat right after getting on that flight and then I'm not sure if the meal service would even be aligned when when I get my appetite back.
Yeah, that SQ22 is going to be a really long night. I am choosing between the A380 to JFK (via FRA) and the A350ULR. Leaning towards the 350 to EWR purely for bragging rights that I have flown the world's longest flight.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mizzao

Also, saver award availability == upgradeability from PE right? So if I can search a 92k miles business award, then it should be safe to book a PE flexi ticket and transfer 47k miles into my SQ account for the upgrade...?

I am definitely seeing saver business redemptions available, 184k miles for a round-trip, though haven't grabbed one yet. Have you tried looking at itineraries that connect in SIN?
Personally I would prefer the SIN-EWR leg. Try to get as much sleep as possible on the flight and survive the next day on the ground by coffee beans.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
many moons ago I did this flight with the A345 and sin-ewr was only 15hrs, so the flight is NOT always a very long flight. I wonder if the A350 flys any faster than those junk A345s.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by knit-in
Yeah, that SQ22 is going to be a really long night. I am choosing between the A380 to JFK (via FRA) and the A350ULR. Leaning towards the 350 to EWR purely for bragging rights that I have flown the world's longest flight.
All depends on your attitude. I’ve found that the problem with most “red eyes” is that they are too short for a good sleep, which is why they are called redeyes.

The good thing about such long flights without stops (at least in business class) is you don’t get interrupted mid flight. The new SQ 22 timetable is almost the same as the old SQ 21 timetable (EWR-SIN). That’s flight was good for post take off supper. Try and stay awake as long as one can then sleep for a while, enjoy a snack and movie and maybe some more sleep then a breakfast before landing. I’d say it’s better than , for example SQ 26 where you have the FRA interruption.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by djsflynn
While Singapore Airlines hasn't made this explicit in its press release (hence some confusion and speculation) the ULR will use the same business class seat as the standard A350-900. We quizzed the airline on ULR seating at the time of the non-stop NY announcement and SQ media advised "We have chosen to use a consistent product across our long-haul A350 fleet."
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Yes they are [edit: SQ confirmed this to us a few months back].
Is this still confirmed that they will use the same seats (that makes you sleep at a weird angle)?

The new lie-flat regional seat seams to look better.

Thinking about booking a RT in business (paid) but really dread that sleeping position!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:31 pm

Here are a few things SQ is planning specifically for the A359-ULR

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-sci...39076?mod=e2fb
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by knit-in
Here are a few things SQ is planning specifically for the A359-ULR

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-sci...39076?mod=e2fb
I'd like to read the article, but I don't have a subscription to the WSJ
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by kittiyut
I'd like to read the article, but I don't have a subscription to the WSJ
I don't either, but it worked for me. They allow you to read it once you've clicked out of their subscription message.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Interestingly, at least one of these A350ULRs is going to have the same registration as a prior A345: 9V-SGE
I happened to look through my list of previously flown aircraft and was curious to see what had become of the A345 that I flew LAX-SIN a few years back.
It came up with this: https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a350-216.htm

I wonder if it's just a coincidence or if the other A345s that were in the fleet will have their reg numbers transferred to the new A350ULRs
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:58 pm

If you don't have access to the WSJ, don't worry...the article is fairly general.

Basically, it says that Qantas, Singapore, and other airlines are putting a lot of energy into the science of long flights. They're adjusting menus to keep people hydrated, adjusting food items so they'll keep/reheat properly after being stored aboard the aircraft for long hours before serving, and trying to find ways to encourage people to get up and move around the cabin (like serving more soup) to avoid DVT.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I've read through this thread but thought I would ask for clarification... I have avoided the A350 J product several times simply because of the terrible reviews of the seat. I am "large" by global standards... haha... 6'3"+ so I require a bit more room.

From what I have read, the J seats are going to be the same on the ULR as the XWB, but will the spacing between the rows be the same? Sounds like that's the biggest issue with the current seats.... seams like they are crammed in from row to row.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by avi8tir
From what I have read, the J seats are going to be the same on the ULR as the XWB, but will the spacing between the rows be the same?
Won't know until the plane is in service. The 2013 J seat is the same on all A350s and almost all the 773s but there is/will likely be subtle differences.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:50 pm

Just booked on SQ33 SFO-SIN (3x weekly) in Dec in PE. Looking forward to the flight - I like the timings, evening departure from SFO, early morning arrival in SIN. Not sure how I feel about 17 hours of darkness, but looking forward to the experience.

Last edited by zeebanker; Aug 31, 2018 at 3:03 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
I just booked the sin-EWR for Jan, excited to give this a try again! Where did SQ 345 planes go that flew this route years ago?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.