Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Booking Flight Change at Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Award Booking Flight Change at Check-In

I wanted to share an experience I had recently flying on SIA suites class with an award booking,

I had booked an award ticket for 2 pax SIN-ZRH-JFK on SQ346 in F suites & LX 14 in Business back in June 2017 for a flight in early April 2018. I was also waitlisted on SQ26 (SIN-JFK with stop in FRA) in Suites class and had made a few calls to check on the status but eventually it never cleared. I arrived at the airport around 6 hours before my flight (SQ 346 departs around 01:15) to check out the lounges and see what all the fuss about Changi is. Much to my surprise, when I get to check-in the person at the counter asked me if we wanted to get on flight SQ 26 to get to our destination faster (SQ 26 departed at 23:55). I was a little confused given that I was on the waitlist for this flight, so I asked her again if she meant we could fly on SQ26 in suites class to NY. The agent told us we could only fly in suites on the first leg, but would then have to fly in business on the 2nd leg (it was unclear to me if this was because our 2nd leg in LX was in business or if because there simply were no seats on the 2nd leg). She also confirmed that we could have the same seats (3D and 3G middle seats, which was important!). So we took the flight without hesitation, not only because we saved ourselves a 4.5 hr layover in Zurich but also because I’ve flown LX in C a few times before and was not that impressed. In the end, I’m glad we took this option since I find SQ business class to be pretty great. I had read some reviews/comments about how some people think it’s dated, uncomfortable to sleep in sideways, and uncomfortable to lounge I didn’t find any of those things to be an issue at all!! In fact, I think it’s probably one of the best Business class seats to travel with a companion. Of course, nothing beats the Suites experience!!

The interesting thing is that this original trip cost about 112,500 miles + 300 USD per pax because of the *A connection, whereas if were originally booked on SQ26 in F and C, it would have been 120,000 miles per pax but without the high taxes.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Also, is there any chance I could be refunded the taxes in return for providing the miles?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:08 am

I would hazard a guess that there was an operational reason why they didn't want you to fly on the original SIN-ZRH, for example faulty seat or overbooking (e.g. if J was overbooked and they wanted your seat).

Without some irrops situation, it's definitely not standard practice to offer you different routings on different airlines and city pair without reissuing the ticket.

Taxes - I doubt it, as the ticket was presumably not reissued with the correct taxes.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by stargold
I would hazard a guess that there was an operational reason why they didn't want you to fly on the original SIN-ZRH, for example faulty seat or overbooking (e.g. if J was overbooked and they wanted your seat).

Without some irrops situation, it's definitely not standard practice to offer you different routings on different airlines and city pair without reissuing the ticket.

Taxes - I doubt it, as the ticket was presumably not reissued with the correct taxes.
Indeed. The check-in staff are usually reluctant to allow changes to earlier flights even on straightforward KF award tickets to high-frequency destinations like BKK and CGK. I agree that there must have been a compelling reason for them to proactively change the OP's routing on an award ticket just like that.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
It is possible they wanted to avoid the LX connection, since they re-booked you on SQ 26. The LX flight could have been full or IRROPS (or SQ wanted to save having to pay LX)?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
The ZRH flight is the last A380 flight to leave during the night departure bank. If any of the A380 went tech, they'll swap it with the ZRH A380 and hence the ZRH flight is usually the one to take the hit. So I reckon it might have something to do with that?
davidj1 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
not sure when the OP flight suppose to be.

I notice on 8-APR, SQ346 quite significantly delayed. If this is the date, this may cause OP miss the ZRH-JFK connection?08 Apr 2018Singapore (SIN)Zurich (ZRH)A388 (9V-SKK)12:111:25 AM4:10 AM8:15 AMLanded 10:20 AM
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:17 am
Original Poster

My original flight was SQ346 on 9 Apr at 01:50 on arriving in ZRH at 08:15 then connecting to LX14 departing from ZRH at 12:55. I monitored that flight and it actually left and arrived on time. Instead I was put on SQ26 on 8 Apr at 23:50.

Surprised that this turned out to be more rare than common. It was the very first thing the check in agent brought up when she saw our passports and inputted our info so I assumed it was something common (my very first question was: "but are the middle seats available on SQ26??") She did have to make a couple of phone calls and had some issues at first getting us seats together on the FRA-JFK leg and then went somewhere off with our passports for a few minutes during which time I was expecting this to fall through until we finally got our boarding passes in hand.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by mkt80
It was the very first thing the check in agent brought up when she saw our passports and inputted our info so I assumed it was something common (my very first question was: "but are the middle seats available on SQ26??")
Someone would have organised this in advance and put in a note on your PNR, so that it would have popped up prompting the check-in agent to ask you.

I can confidently tell you that 99.9% of the time on an identical itinerary, they will not offer you this option. It's not the way SQ works. So if you enjoyed the new routing, I'd just chalk it up as an unexpected win.

Timing within the same day, sometimes they are willing to accommodate. Different route and different airline, on an award no less? It really doesn't happen without some sort of disruption or unexpected circumstances.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Someone would have organised this in advance and put in a note on your PNR, so that it would have popped up prompting the check-in agent to ask you.

I can confidently tell you that 99.9% of the time on an identical itinerary, they will not offer you this option. It's not the way SQ works. So if you enjoyed the new routing, I'd just chalk it up as an unexpected win.

Timing within the same day, sometimes they are willing to accommodate. Different route and different airline, on an award no less? It really doesn't happen without some sort of disruption or unexpected circumstances.
Definitely a win on my part! Thanks for the feedback. Will make sure to not makes plans around something like this happening again in the future!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Definitely rare. I tried shifting an award flight to an earlier flight once and had to pay a no-show fee + change fee....
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold

My guess would be that somebody important really needed to get on that flight to ZRH.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
It is possible they wanted to avoid the LX connection, since they re-booked you on SQ 26. The LX flight could have been full or IRROPS (or SQ wanted to save having to pay LX)?
Wouldn’t SQ would have had to pay LX at the time the redemption ticket was issued by SQ?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:53 am

Carriers would only get paid once the ticket has been used.

That said, this would not be a reason for the check-in agent to be proactively offering to change tickets around in this way. They just don't have that flexibility without a flight disruption or other operational need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.