Wiki Posts
Search

Phuket to Melbourne in J

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Phuket to Melbourne in J

Hi all,

I really didn’t know where I should post this, if I have posted this in the wrong forum, I apologise. Please feel free to move it to the correct forum.

I need to fly from HKT to MEL. Flights will be in J.
Currently booked on Silk Air/Singapore (HKT - SIN - MEL)
I have the option to change it to Thai Airways (HKT - BKK - MEL).
Both options will be an overnight flight on the longer SIN/BKK - MEL sector.
Singapore will be on a 777ER
Thai will be on an A350.

I am curious to see what people’s choices would be? I am concerned with the footwell on the 777 seats. I am 6”1 with size 12 feet and have read that the footwell can be a bit small/cramped? Is this true?
I have never flown with either airline in J before. Have done Cathay and Qantas before and didn’t have any issues with their seats and footwells.

Thank you.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by armurphy86
I need to fly from HKT to MEL. Flights will be in J.
Currently booked on Silk Air/Singapore (HKT - SIN - MEL)
I have the option to change it to Thai Airways (HKT - BKK - MEL).
Both options will be an overnight flight on the longer SIN/BKK - MEL sector.
Singapore will be on a 777ER
Thai will be on an A350.
I think you have two good options to choose from.

The 77W seat is not great for tall people (but not as bad as the SQ 350). TG's 350 uses the Solystys seat, which is a bit narrow. AUSBT found the footwell tight, but I've never had an issue with it in this seat. The seat will have better padding than the SQ seat. Note that TG is notorious for aircraft swaps.

TG service is much less consistent than SQ's. It can be very good or quite mediocre. Same with the food. SIN is a better airport for transfers than BKK, though BKK does offer the advantage of foot massage options (either paid, or free in the Royal Orchid Spa)
armurphy86 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
BKK-MEL doesn't suffer much in the way of aircraft swaps these days now all the A350s have been delivered afaik.

I'd tempted for THAI, if only for the longer sector on a lie flat bed (9 hrs v 7 hrs). If you do, be aware that there is great variety on the aircraft types TG uses HKT-BKK, also beware the code-share with Thai Smile (TG2xxx series). It is easy to check when making the booking.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
BKK-MEL doesn't suffer much in the way of aircraft swaps these days now all the A350s have been delivered afaik.

I'd tempted for THAI, if only for the longer sector on a lie flat bed (9 hrs v 7 hrs). If you do, be aware that there is great variety on the aircraft types TG uses HKT-BKK, also beware the code-share with Thai Smile (TG2xxx series). It is easy to check when making the booking.
That was my thinking. I'd rather 6 hours solid sleep (TG) vs 4 hours (SIA).
I am worried about an aircraft swap, but that is totally out of my control. It could easily happen on either airline.
Not too fussed on the HKT - BKK sector. It's a short flight.

Lounge does come into play. I have heard the TG lounge at BKK can get rather busy. But there are other options, EVA lounge, amongst others.
Sleep is probably the most important aspect, food would be a second, then lounge access options third. We would be ordering special meals, so not too concerned about 'book the cook' options.
Any experience on who does the 'better' special meal?

Thank you
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SQ lounge in BKK is where I usually hang out - or the BR one if the gate location suits Concourse E/F/G. I might move to a TG lounge in Concourse C or E immediately prior to departure, but usually avoid the main D lounge.

My son's former GF was a vegan, and they flew THAI Y AKL-BKK-NRT-BKK-AKL - she was happy enough with the vegan Y choices (her only comparison was LH, which she didn't rate...). Can't comment on SQ special meals.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I also recommend the SQ lounge at BKK, assuming it's not too far out of the way based on your arrival/departure location.
Originally Posted by armurphy86
I am worried about an aircraft swap, but that is totally out of my control. It could easily happen on either airline.
SQ would be extremely unlikely to swap aircraft.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Poster

My son's former GF was a vegan, and they flew THAI Y AKL-BKK-NRT-BKK-AKL - she was happy enough with the vegan Y choices (her only comparison was LH, which she didn't rate...). Can't comment on SQ special meals.
Thank you for sharing. Not ‘vegan’ on my end, just a vegetarian. I do enjoy a good vegan meal however.
I would hope a vegan meal in either TG/SIA J class would be better than a Y one.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I also recommend the SQ lounge at BKK, assuming it's not too far out of the way based on your arrival/departure location.

SQ would be extremely unlikely to swap aircraft.
Exactly what I thought. I feel 99% confident that if I went with Singapore I would be on the metal I booked on.

TG is a little bit of a gamble? Not so much if it is the A350.... That extra 90 min sleep time, with the bigger foot cubby, could make it all worth it.

Thank you for your response.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Not sure what time of year you're doing the trip, but if during Melbourne daylight savings time (when TG lands at 13:05), I'd prefer to perhaps overnight in SIN and one of the day flights back on SQ for a more enjoyable experience (with the warning that the day flight is often full of people connecting from Europe and thus the cabins may be darkened).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Food will be better on SQ. Especially the BTC. But yes the legroom may be a problem for you.

Lounges - the SKL lounge at SIN is kind of a disappointment compared to the quality you expect from SQ esp. given that it’s their home lounge! But at BKK I think the SKL is much better than the TG lounges. I haven’t been to the new SKL there but the old one was much better than TGs and the new SKL certainly is supposed to be much better than the old SKL. Go to TG only for a massage and/or shower. The massage in TG depending on the time of day can have a long waiting time.

Overall, TG - decent food & service and better to sleep... I’d probably pick them over SQ - much better food and service.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses.

I have made the change and swapped to Thai.
Looking forward to checking out the SilverKris Lounge in BKK.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the domestic sector on TG, please note seat selection cannot be made until OLCI opens 24 hrs prior to departure. This quirk, is probably due to the many varieties of aircraft used on this busy sector.

You will be able to make seat selections for the BKK-MEL flight as soon as you you have the TG PNR. Once you have pulled up the booking under 'manage my Booking', the seat selection process is a bit obscure - scroll to the bottom of the page and select 'additional services', which will bring up seat selection and special meals - easy from there.
armurphy86 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

For the domestic sector on TG, please note seat selection cannot be made until OLCI opens 24 hrs prior to departure. This quirk, is probably due to the many varieties of aircraft used on this busy sector.

You will be able to make seat selections for the BKK-MEL flight as soon as you you have the TG PNR. Once you have pulled up the booking under 'manage my Booking', the seat selection process is a bit obscure - scroll to the bottom of the page and select 'additional services', which will bring up seat selection and special meals - easy from there.

Thank you!! I was struggling a little bit with the special meals and seat selection.
I have secured the seats for the BKK - MEL sector.
I got an error message about the special meals, but I will ring the local office today to confirm the meals directly.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:40 pm

I would choose SQ for Book the Cook, and then to enjoy the lounge in Singapore. I find the SilverKris lounge better than the Thai business lounge. Though the SilverKris lounge can indeed get busy!!!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks SQTraveller.
I did look at Book the Cook, but they didn't offer anything that was vegetarian. So that meant it wasn't a big factor in my decision. No matter who I went with, I was ordering a special meal.

I have already made the change to Thai. I do look forward to being able to enjoy Singapore Airlines in J one day in the future, and as lokijuh suggested, I will most likely book a day flight so I can really enjoy the Singapore service.

Thanks to everyone who shared their opinions. I really appreciate it.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.