Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

“Upgrade” existing economy award ticket to business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Booked an SQ award ticket with miles only to decide it was worth the extra work (and miles) to do it in business.

Assuming there’s availability (even if on another flight), how would Singapore handle this? Would I have to cancel my existing reservation and wait for the miles to redeposit?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Basically yes. If you phone up you may be able to get the agent to cancel your existing economy booking and immediately redeposit miles to confirm your new business ticket but YMMV.

Good decision BTW. Redeeming for economy is really missing the point
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
My experience in these cases is that they will cancel your Y reservation, make the J reservation and just deduct the additional miles needed for your J flight from your account to ticket your J flight -- no redeposit needed.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Not exactly Y to J, but a few months ago I "upgraded" a J award to F, and the miles deduction was done immediately over the phone as how Ex-SIN described. Note that I got hit with a usd20 or usd25 fee, can't remember whether it was a cancel/re-issue fee or just a cabin class change fee though.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kpottermn
Booked an SQ award ticket with miles only to decide it was worth the extra work (and miles) to do it in business.

Assuming there’s availability (even if on another flight), how would Singapore handle this? Would I have to cancel my existing reservation and wait for the miles to redeposit?
Following up:
I sorted this out by calling Singapore and requesting an award hold for the J seats while the remainder of my SPG points were transferring into my KF account. When those points were in, I called Singapore again and had them cancel my existing reservation -- it took about 16 hours for those miles to redeposit, at which point I called a third time to confirm and ticket the J award on hold. Pretty seemless and Singapore/KF support really shone here.

BUT, it looks like there's an easier way to do this online through Manage my booking, by simply changing the booking. Unclear if that works if you're booking into a different cabin on the same flight (my flight was different), but I didn't go that route because I was worried the seats would disappear as I waited for my SPG transfer to clear.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It won't work through manage my booking as you were already holding an award ticket. You cant upgrade that any further using miles. It is a cancel and rebook as you did. However, all could have been done during your second call as the agent can redeposit the miles immediately and book the new itinerary. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.