Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

strange automatic upgrade to PE and question about bid to upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

strange automatic upgrade to PE and question about bid to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb strange automatic upgrade to PE and question about bid to upgrade

Booked in Y for MEL-SIN-PVG-SIN-MEL, fare classes are M and E respectively.

Received an email from SQ saying my original seat selection has been changed. Logged onto SQ, then found both segments to PVG have been assigned into Premium Economy automatically. I don't understand what has triggered that.. I did put my VA ffp number there, but still though my gold status with VA is perhaps the lowest on their priority list?

Then receive an email 7 days before the department, inviting me to bid for upgrade. Instead of showing permium economy, I am invited to bid straightly to business... which I thought was not possible before? the range displayed is $845 to $1450 for SIN-MEL on a A350, which I am tempted but decided not to bid.

My question is: Can I use SQ points for a upgrade, but still credit the points/status to another airline, say Virgin Australia?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: QF Plat (One world Emerald) QF Lifetime Gold (One world Sapphire), VA Gold (&there4 SQ partner Gold)
Congratulations - this is known as an Operational Upgrade (OpUp) to PE.

If you do a dummy redemption booking and see waitlist available (in either business saver or standard) then you can phone KF and ask for a saver or standard upgrade award.

You may also see the upgrade arrow if you log into your KF account and see booking whilst logged in.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by redwingsGAO
Booked in Y for MEL-SIN-PVG-SIN-MEL, fare classes are M and E respectively.

Received an email from SQ saying my original seat selection has been changed. Logged onto SQ, then found both segments to PVG have been assigned into Premium Economy automatically. I

Was this SQ 238 MEL-SIN? They don't sell PE on that flight, and sometimes it is operated by an aircraft with PE and sometimes without. ), However when it is operated with PE equipped plane, some lucky Y passengers will be allocated into PE seating. Not an operational upgrade (OpUp) as such, as suggested Tomaus, as that results from overselling in one cabin leading to some passengers being bumped up a cabin or two and getting the service of the upgraded cabin as well. These sort of upgrades usually only happen at the airport.

As PE service is more or less the same as Y service, it is functionally almost the same as an operational upgrade though (no champagne that's all) . You even get to use the better headsets. Happened to me on SQ 237 a few weeks ago.

Assume it is same for SIN-PVG, SQ 836, another 77W flight where they don't seem to sell PE.
redwingsGAO likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Was this SQ 238 MEL-SIN? They don't sell PE on that flight, and sometimes it is operated by an aircraft with PE and sometimes without. ), However when it is operated with PE equipped plane, some lucky Y passengers will be allocated into PE seating. Not an operational upgrade (OpUp) as such, as suggested Tomaus, as that results from overselling in one cabin leading to some passengers being bumped up a cabin or two and getting the service of the upgraded cabin as well. These sort of upgrades usually only happen at the airport.

As PE service is more or less the same as Y service, it is functionally almost the same as an operational upgrade though (no champagne that's all) . You even get to use the better headsets. Happened to me on SQ 237 a few weeks ago.

Assume it is same for SIN-PVG, SQ 836, another 77W flight where they don't seem to sell PE.
Thank you. I cannot remember if they sell PE or not on that flight. But anyway, I won't complain. I did check their upgrade award chart, which charges ridiculous amount of miles, close to an award booking. So guess I will save the miles for a J class booking.

And by the way, it looks there are still quite a number of empty seats on both flights. So I am really confused why I was selected for this "upgrade".

Anyway, SQ has been kind to me in the past. Even when I was flying with my United ffp number, I had been upgraded to J on a SIN-MEL flight, which never happened on any other airlines' international flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.