Wiki Posts
Search

777-300 Row 11 Blocked?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
777-300 Row 11 Blocked?

Hi everyone, I'm looking forward to my first SQ experience. Have wanted to try SQ for so long so am very excited about transferring some points over and booking a J ticket LAX-SIN.

i have done lots of research on this J hard product, and have concluded I only wish to travel in row 11. I'm flexible on dates so am even booking around this, using EF to locate a flight with seats in row 11 available. I have found a pattern though: every flight has row 11 blocked. Whether via ICN or NRT, the airline has the entire row blocked off, even on empty flights. Why is this so? Can one call and unblock them after purchase? After ticketing does SQ sell these as premium J seats? I haven't seen this mentioned before, and I don't believe this is a bassinet row.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:05 am

They sell it for a minimum of S$25,000 for a year's access. PPS only now, since a few months ago.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:44 am

Since PPS only, I've read only 1 report where someone non-PPS was able to reserve row 11 prior to OLCI.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Hmm that's a bummer for me. I am genuinely uninterested in trying the product with the foot cubby, and would rather fly a different carrier/try a different product, such as JAL. How different is the other bulkhead, row 15? And how many PPSers are there out there? Are the odds relatively good that Row 11 will still be open at OLCI?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:22 pm

A fair few PPS on that flight. Unlikely to be available at check in. Certainly more than enough to occupy all bulkheads. The other bulkhead is the same from a seat perspective but you're near the galley. You won't get assigned it anyway as its a bassinet seat. Or borrow a baby for your flight, pay for its ticket and happy days, problem solved.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Actually for row 15, when I called the SQ hotline they are able to assign you those seats. However, they will also warn you that you may be moved at anytime if an eligible flyer requests those seats (i.e. a passenger requiring a bassinet).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:19 pm

I was able to redeem a row 11 seat early this May for travel in early January 2018 HKG -> SFO before the change. Hopefully I won't get bumped.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
Hmm that's a bummer for me. I am genuinely uninterested in trying the product with the foot cubby, and would rather fly a different carrier/try a different product, such as JAL. How different is the other bulkhead, row 15? And how many PPSers are there out there? Are the odds relatively good that Row 11 will still be open at OLCI?
SQ J is still way better than others .. Even with the foot cubby which is more like the space one gets on other airlines
Unlikely 11 will be available
You can , perhaps , ask once on board - after seeing who are in 11

Try 15

There are many of us out here
My default is 11 A or K

On a recent A350 , was actually in the smaller section on 19 K
Worked pretty well , even on my most disliked AC for SQ
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. So you think row 15 is *technically* bookable, just with the conditional note: **seat may be reassigned if a bassinet row is requested by eligible pax.

Is row 15 selectable online, or must it be done via call centre?

Also, with rows 11 and 15 it is hard to get a feel for the length of the seat. Perhaps because the seat is so wide, aerial images look as if the seat is short, less than 6" in length. Is the bulkhead row comfortably long enough to lay flat?

BTW: my other options to SE Asia on this trip are J seats on Eva Air, United Polaris, JAL. I was actually impressed with the Eva Air reviews - not an airline previously on my radar. Also, I can *technically* get SQ First on the same plane, as there's availability. But I'll need to spend US$1000 to top up my miles for that one....
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks for your replies. So you think row 15 is *technically* bookable, just with the conditional note: **seat may be reassigned if a bassinet row is requested by eligible pax.

Also, with rows 11 and 15 it is hard to get a feel for the length of the seat. Perhaps because the seat is so wide, aerial images look as if the seat is short, less than 6" in length. Is the bulkhead row comfortably long enough to lay flat?

BTW: my other options to SE Asia on this trip are J seats on Eva Air, United Polaris, JAL. I was actually impressed with the Eva Air reviews - not an airline previously on my radar. Also, I can *technically* get SQ First on the same plane, as there's availability. But I'll need to spend US$1000 to top up my miles for that one....
Try online first & see what happens .
Should be comfortable enough , not squashed , even in others upfront - first

There are certain airlines I do not bother with , including some you listed , no matter how wonderful reviews are .
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
You'll definitely have to call in to select bassinet seats. I would recommend using expertflyer to first determine whether row 15 has been assigned or not. If it's shown as blocked (X), you can call to SQ to have it assigned to you. If it's a solid blue, means someone else (either someone like you or a real baby) has taken it and you're out of luck.

the bulkhead rows only give your feet more width to play with, not length. You'll likely still have to sleep slightly diagonally as with all the other regular seats.

In all honesty I think Row 15 is way too near the galley and toilets and I wouldn't select this for such a long flight. The cubby hole really isn't as bad as it is made out to be. On my next flight although I'm PPS I've not been able to get Row 11, so I'm in Row 20, and I'm perfectly ok with it.

Dont over think things!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
While I prefer row 11 there is no way I'd chose to fly another airline just because I didn't get to sit in that row. The difference is not that high and there are plenty of other reasons to fly SQ.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:07 am

Well there certainly is for me. And that factor is price. I'm happy to incur the premium as long as I get the bulkhead. If not I'll go elsewhere for a better and cheaper seat provided my routing can accommodate it. Especially where SQ's 350 is concerned. Issue now is there are so many PPS and only 8 bulkheads (assuming no parents with kids) so they're often taken regardless. Nothing your status can do about that.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
A couple of weeks ago I was able to get 11A on an A350 between T-96 and the opening of online check in (which I believe is T-48). Admittedly on a less popular route but it shows it can be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.