Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SG-Auckland Prices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
SG-Auckland Prices

Have been comparing prices for the SG to Auckland return flight in Feb 2018 vs Malaysia Airlines on economy and the difference is massive; RM7000 (MH) for 2 pax vs SQ RM10k for the same sector.

Just wondering if these excessive prices are actually damaging the SQ and revenue by over charging perhaps for flights.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
On some days in Feb you can get for $$1395 SGD per pax (8700RM for 2) on SQ, so then the difference comes down to just 850 MYR or $270 SGD per pax.

Aside from the MH service being indirect (you end up flying over SIN about 3 hrs after you first leave SIN), and therefore SQ charging a premium for a direct service, there are many Singaporeans for various reasons who refuse to fly MH (which was the case even before the tragic events of 2014, which of course didn't help).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
On some days in Feb you can get for $$1395 SGD per pax (8700RM for 2) on SQ, so then the difference comes down to just 850 MYR or $270 SGD per pax.

Aside from the MH service being indirect (you end up flying over SIN about 3 hrs after you first leave SIN), and therefore SQ charging a premium for a direct service, there are many Singaporeans for various reasons who refuse to fly MH (which was the case even before the tragic events of 2014, which of course didn't help).
Understand the points made. Thank you for sharing.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: EK Silver
Occasionally the same flight on SQ would be much cheaper ex-KUL or PEN, seems worthwhile to add a cheap positioning flight.

Recent example for a booking I made - similar differences for other destinations
SIN-NRT-HND-SIN - S$1400
KUL-SIN-NRT-HND-SIN-KUL - S$445
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nedelk
Occasionally the same flight on SQ would be much cheaper ex-KUL or PEN, seems worthwhile to add a cheap positioning flight.

Recent example for a booking I made - similar differences for other destinations
SIN-NRT-HND-SIN - S$1400
KUL-SIN-NRT-HND-SIN-KUL - S$445
Sadly, I have not seen any good fares on the SQ website for the past 6 months. It has remained consistently high. Had a check of flights from KUL and BKI transit SG on to Auckland and they were still more expensive than flying on MH sadly.

Would really love to give the SQ product a go for this trip but it's just too expensive.

May consider Cathay as an option out of HK.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This is normal for most airlines. Fares are higher (sometimes much higher) for their home markets than for other places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.