Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ52 from MAN to IAH canceled due to Harvey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus

"Due to Tropical Storm Harvey, SQ52's final point of destination, will be Manchester until further notice." --
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=j6uwpgkg

I'm supposed to be flying BKK-SIN-MAN-IAH tomorrow, the 29th, but IAH is currently closed (though it may reopen tomorrow), and SQ52 may not even be going to IAH

I called the Bangkok office, and the lady didn't seem to even know that there was anything going on at IAH. When I mentioned that IAH was closed, she put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back with basically the same info from the website. I was hoping for more details/suggestions on re-routing options, since I'm not even sure what's possible. I asked about getting to DFW, but she said they only fly to LAX, SFO, JFK, and I think one other city? None of which are within driving distance to IAH.

Rescheduling for a later date would be fine, but if it's practical to get back to say AUS or DFW on the 30th, I'd prefer that.

Any advice? Should I try calling the Singapore office? For now, I was going to wait until tomorrow and see if IAH reopens and SQ52 continues on to IAH.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
SQ should be able to rebook you on other Star carriers. Just ask them if they can put you on BKK-SIN-FRA-DFW (FRA-DFW op by LH).
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Many carriers will only rebook to own flights in a situation like this - that is why you are only offered JFK, SFO and LAX. Trying to get rebooked to LH to DFW will costs SQ money, i.e. SQ refuse/prefer to avoid. I think it will be uphill to get SQ to rebook you to AUS or DFW - sorry.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by warakorn
SQ should be able to rebook you on other Star carriers. Just ask them if they can put you on BKK-SIN-FRA-DFW (FRA-DFW op by LH).
I think the key word in your post is should be able to. Of course, SQ can rebook to LH, but is likely to refuse it.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Before calling back, you should do your own homework and have proposals for the specific carrier & flights you want. SQ may be willing to fly you to one of its US gateways and then connect on UA to IAH or somewhere else,

It is much easier to get what you want when you make it easy for the staff.

Rebooking onto another carrier entirely may be a hard sell, but you may certainly ask.

In the meantime, keep your eye on reports relating to IAH. It doesn't do any good to be rerouted onto a UA flight to IAH if IAH is still closed.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
IAH and HOU were both literally underwater at one point yesterday. Houston may not be a viable destination for a few weeks.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Given that the Houston area airports are closed until Wednesday at the earliest - there are passengers and crew still stranded in IAH and HOU at the moment - you would be advised to consider if travel is still a good idea this week. There is no chance that your flight will operate to IAH tomorrow.

Given the situation on the ground, and the disruption that will continue to affect the greater Houston area for the rest of this week [the storm is currently forecast to return to the Gulf, pick up energy, and head towards Houston in the coming days, lingering again once it makes landfall for the second time], you should probably rethink your plans if they called for you being in this area at this time.

If you can instead reroute to one of the other destinations proposed by SQ, then by all means do so.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Just an update: Houston's airports are closed until further notice

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-...ice-2017-08-28

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...closed-notice/
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Often1
Before calling back, you should do your own homework and have proposals for the specific carrier & flights you want. SQ may be willing to fly you to one of its US gateways and then connect on UA to IAH or somewhere else,.
Agree with the sentiment, but SQ and UA are not good bedfellows, maybe have better chance requesting routing via LAX or SFO and onto DAL on SQ codeshare operated by VX? A stab in the dark but a question worth asking.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:20 pm

so Long as your Bkk-iah is booked in Sq one ticket they will get you to IAH no matter what either free accommodation until the next flight or rebooking on the next available flight to IAH

if you have proof of a valid ticket to another connecting destination regardless of airlines, Sq will rebook you to the final destination, otherwise you are prolly only going to be offered IAH

I was on cgk-sin-man-iah-mco, cgk-iah on Sq, iah-mco on other budget, but Sq rebooked me man-mco direct on VS. Happened to all the other pax who were affected as well, some going to Mexico, Europe, UK all got rebooked to their final destination regardless, via BA VS LH THompson cook whichever had the next flight out

Iah is now officially closed until 31 August.
Carfield likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lesocw
so Long as your Bkk-iah is booked in Sq one ticket they will get you to IAH no matter what either free accommodation until the next flight or rebooking on the next available flight to IAH
I have one paid J ticket, all SQ, for BKK-IAH and one redemption J. I just got off the phone with a rep in BKK and she said that changing the date to depart Sep 1 would require a "fare top-up" of over $2000 But she was going to talk to her supervisor and call me back with other options.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
IAH and HOU were both literally underwater at one point yesterday. Houston may not be a viable destination for a few weeks.
I'm trying to get back to AUS.. while my car is at IAH, I'm mostly/sorta fine with leaving it there until things get better. I need to get back home and back to work though.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Dahan
I'm trying to get back to AUS.. while my car is at IAH, I'm mostly/sorta fine with leaving it there until things get better. I need to get back home and back to work though.
SQ codeshare on VX (until AS take it over) from SFO to AUS too.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dahan
I have one paid J ticket, all SQ, for BKK-IAH and one redemption J. I just got off the phone with a rep in BKK and she said that changing the date to depart Sep 1 would require a "fare top-up" of over $2000 But she was going to talk to her supervisor and call me back with other options.
Got the call, and was rescheduled for Sep 1 on SQ981 then SQ52 (same as my original ticket) at no charge. So I guess they're thinking IAH will be open by then... I hope so too! But if not, I'll see about getting to AUS via other cities.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
FWIW, My parents were originally on (TXK-IAH and then) SQ's IAH - KUL, that flight's been cancelled. So they've gotten SIA to rebook for free to JFK - KUL (and they've bought a separate TXK-JFK ticket).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.