Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

When does UA make business awards available to SQ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:52 am
bdh
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PM

Hello All,

I was looking to book 2 business award tickets from SFO-EWR in mid-October on UA. I've got a bunch of Chase points to use, and since SQ's awards chart only needs 40k miles to book a round trip UA business ticket (as opposed to 50k for UA), I was hoping to book through SQ (plus I've got about 20k KF miles that I need to use up).

Anyway, I called SQ today to ask about award availability, and the agent said the only business availability he could find from now through October was for August 7-8 (i.e., in just a few days).

Is this pretty typical and to be expected (i.e., UA only releases business seats to SQ very close to the flight date if they haven't sold)? Do they ever release business seats with more advance?

Anyone have an general tips for finding UA availability through SQ?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA doesn't really release business class awards on that route, except within a couple days of departure, and even then the releases are extremely limited. This is true for UA Mileage Plus members as well. They've basically shut down saver level premium cabin awards on those flights.

You can search UA award availability on the NH or AC websites . . . if you see availability there, it should be bookable through SQ.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:56 pm
bdh
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PM
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA doesn't really release business class awards on that route, except within a couple days of departure, and even then the releases are extremely limited. This is true for UA Mileage Plus members as well. They've basically shut down saver level premium cabin awards on those flights.

You can search UA award availability on the NH or AC websites . . . if you see availability there, it should be bookable through SQ.
Yeah, I was starting to realize this after poking around on UA's website a bit more. Almost all of the "business" saver award availability shown on the calendar is really mixed cabin, where you make a connection somewhere and only one of the two legs is in business.

Any idea how far in advance UA will tend to release business awards for these flights? I have high enough status with DL that I can redeposit award tickets for free up to 72hrs prior, so I may book some economy flights there as a backup and try to refund them if I can manage to snag a last minute business seat on UA.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is a p.s. route that UA can get massive revenue from the business customers.

Even upgrade is rare.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bdh
Any idea how far in advance UA will tend to release business awards for these flights?
As previously stated, they really don't.

You might see a few award seats within a couple days of departure. That's it. Period.

The one-way P fare is $650. That's the way to fly front cabin on this route.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
You might see a few award seats within a couple days of departure. That's it. Period.
The only ones that have availability further out (on UA's own website) would be the red-eyes. I was able to book my mom on a red-eye a couple weeks out on one of the HD 772s.

As for when they release it to partners - I think it would be too much of a crapshoot.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
The only ones that have availability further out (on UA's own website) would be the red-eyes. I was able to book my mom on a red-eye a couple weeks out on one of the HD 772s.
Yeah there's the occasional unicorn, but those are so unusual they might as well not exist for purposes of making plans.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by garykung
It is a p.s. route that UA can get massive revenue from the business customers.

Even upgrade is rare.
And UA won't release saver awards even to its own members on p.s. flights.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by fly747first
And UA won't release saver awards even to its own members on p.s. flights.
That's false based on my recent personal experience, but as others have noted it is very rare and almost always when you get close to actual flight date. I know that UA and SQ aren't on the best terms, though, so would imagine this is even harder if trying to get an award ticket via SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.