Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines Says Job Cuts Are Possible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines Says Job Cuts Are Possible

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Your premise is based on your disappointment re: juicy bonuses and the purported award redemption from SQ.
Thats exactly my point. If Singaporeans are disappointed that awards space is snapped up by others, why would they buy SQ revenue tickets?

Btw, agree on the job cuts forecast. Just a PR stunt for the minority shareholders.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by shuigao
I haven't paid for a single personal trip on SQ (All redemptions and work-paid flights only)..
I'm past my thirties, but not Singaporean. I have been in Singapore for 8 years now and until two months ago in that time I had not paid for a single Singapore originating SQ ticket (Singapore origin tickets have been all redemptions and work paid). Only ticket bought was a $450 one way to LHR that I booked two months ago.

However, I have paid for quite a few SQ ticket originating elsewhere, usually to/from MEL (where my extended family is) and a stopover for a month or six in SIN. Has worked really well for me, and one such ticket was even in business.

I still prefer to fly SQ, which is why I do this (and usually it does come at a slight premium), and I would be happy to pay a slight premium ex-SIN as well. Unfortunately the premium that is asked for way exceeds the premium I am willing to pay for SIN originating tickets.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
... a slap in Lee Hsien Loong's face, especially given the increasing challenge in governing.
Or the challenge of having one's siblings air your family's dirty laundry in public. Strange times we're living in; between the politics in US/UK/ME and the latest soap opera drama here, I find myself wondering if I'm in reality or if I maybe had a huge accident a while ago and am now hallucinating in a drug-induced coma.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by spk307
If Singaporeans are disappointed that awards space is snapped up by others, why would they buy SQ revenue tickets?
You do know that the majority of SQ fare classes are not FFP-eligible, right?

Originally Posted by shuigao
Or the challenge of having one's siblings air your family's dirty laundry in public. Strange times we're living in; between the politics in US/UK/ME and the latest soap opera drama here, I find myself wondering if I'm in reality or if I maybe had a huge accident a while ago and am now hallucinating in a drug-induced coma.
Politics aside, that stupid CEO simply failed to realize what kind of reality he is in. There is always a trade off for GSEs.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
You do know that the majority of SQ fare classes are not FFP-eligible, right?
All commercial fares sold on SQ accrue at least some miles in Krisflyer (in economy it's 10%, 50% or 100%) and matching % in Virgin Australia's Velocity. The 10% and 50% earn fares generally don't earn anything in other star alliance or other partner programs.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by spk307
One reason Singapore-based KF members are p1ssed is that it's become very easy to rack up points and miles through US credit cards. This allows US residents to redeem most of award tickets. So what's the point of earning miles or even being a PPS member when there is no availability to redeem? All their miles from corporate travel is useless if the award space is quickly taken up by US members. So why spend on SQ when you know you cannot redeem?

Most other airlines sell miles through SPG or Amex or Chase or Citi, not all four.

They have recently announced that PPS members will get priority in redemption, but yet to see the details on how they'll do it.

Further to your comments, just saw this:

"Fortunately Singapore Airlines loves the U.S. bank money, and their KrisFlyer program is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards, and Starwood Preferred Guest."

50% Off Short and Medium-Haul Awards Within Asia

by Gary Leff on June 16, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....s-within-asia/
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:18 pm

While that stupid CEO suggested that a job cut is possible, it would be impractical.

As a nation-majority-owned flag carrier, a job cut means pushing the problem back to the big boss - the Republic. As the Republic is proud to have a low unemployment rate, a job cut will be a slap in Lee Hsien Loong's face, especially given the increasing challenge in governing.
If SQ would cut a few thousand jobs it would not change much for the Republic. It will be in the news today and forgotten tomorrow. As there is no welfare system in Singapore, there is enough motivation for the laid-off personnel to get a new employment rather soon.

.....as well as delay new plane delivery. These measures will help SQ to recoup more than creating more problem.
I would rather dispose off the old inefficient 777s fleet (and not spending money to retrofit that crap) and replace with latest generation fuel efficient planes. This would help them to stay up float even on routes were load factors are challenging. But, I agree that the latest order of Boeing airplanes might be just too big....
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by SQ325
I would rather dispose off the old inefficient 777s fleet (and not spending money to retrofit that crap) and replace with latest generation fuel efficient planes.
Precisely what SQ is doing. 787s and 350s will replace them and the 330s. Can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Phaze
Precisely what SQ is doing. 787s and 350s will replace them and the 330s. Can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
Not in the near future. Delivery of the latest order will be in 2020 and 2021. In 2017/2018 only 3 (!) 777 and 2 A330 will leave the fleet, while 10 more A350 will join (beside the A380s). So the fuel guzzlers will still be around for a while. And, there are currently still 777s stored in the desert.
I'am anyway not sure if the A330 return to lessor and keep the 777s instead is a clever move. I would guess that the A330 is fitting more into SQs fleet needs (until the 787s are joining).
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If SQ would cut a few thousand jobs it would not change much for the Republic. It will be in the news today and forgotten tomorrow. As there is no welfare system in Singapore, there is enough motivation for the laid-off personnel to get a new employment rather soon.
Again - the pride of the Republic.

It is always not about the people get cut, but the confidence to the Republic.

Nature of GSE.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:52 am

Again - the pride of the Republic.

It is always not about the people get cut, but the confidence to the Republic.

Nature of GSE.
SQ was LKY favorite baby. The new government generation is not sharing such emotional bonding. They are much more concerned about the money they spent and as soon as SQ is becoming a cost burden anything can happen.
The young Singaporean is also not sharing that pride, they shun SQ and fly cheap. SQ was once also know as "Ang-Moh" Airlines.

Anyway, a few weeks back the CEO stated that no jobs will be cut. Within a few weeks he turned around. You can be sure that he wont say that if the government would not support such move.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK

I'am anyway not sure if the A330 return to lessor and keep the 777s instead is a clever move. I would guess that the A330 is fitting more into SQs fleet needs (until the 787s are joining).
A330-300 / current fleet
- 23 in service + 1 in storage
- 1 owned + 23 leased (operating lease) [based on public info]

777-200ER
- 22 in service + 2 in storage (1 operated by NokScoot)
- 24 owned + 0 leased

On this basis, it becomes rather obvious why it's easier (cheaper?) to offload A330-300s and hold on to the 777-200ER fleet, which is hardly in demand these days.

Do you know what their exit plan is for the 777-200ER?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can be sure that he wont say that if the government would not support such move.
But I am definitely sure that he is stupid.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
SQ was LKY favorite baby. The new government generation is not sharing such emotional bonding. They are much more concerned about the money they spent and as soon as SQ is becoming a cost burden anything can happen.
The young Singaporean is also not sharing that pride, they shun SQ and fly cheap. SQ was once also know as "Ang-Moh" Airlines.

Anyway, a few weeks back the CEO stated that no jobs will be cut. Within a few weeks he turned around. You can be sure that he wont say that if the government would not support such move.
Can't agree more on the LKY pet project. There is even a YouTube video of his speech, probably his most famous one.

Most government company CEOs are like that. They know they don't have freedom to do what they want. They have to do some PR stunts every now and then.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by nanyang
A330-300 / current fleet
- 23 in service + 1 in storage
- 1 owned + 23 leased (operating lease) [based on public info]

777-200ER
- 22 in service + 2 in storage (1 operated by NokScoot)
- 24 owned + 0 leased

On this basis, it becomes rather obvious why it's easier (cheaper?) to offload A330-300s and hold on to the 777-200ER fleet, which is hardly in demand these days.
I agree, thats the easy way. But also the cheapest? You would need to look at the operation cost and i doubt that the 772s are on par with the A330.
I guess that the valuation of these 772s is a bit on the high side and thefor they would need to offload them at (book-) losses. But the situation will not get any better if they hold onto them, the demand for such birds will not get any better.

Originally Posted by nanyang
Do you know what their exit plan is for the 777-200ER?
Not really. They will eventually go. One this year. Originally they planned hat the A350 should replace them. But we know that the fleets kept changing and changing in the past.

By the way:
There are only 11 772ERs the rest should be non-ERs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.