Wiki Posts
Search

SQ cabin baggage - SHAPE restrictions ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

SQ cabin baggage - SHAPE restrictions ?

Hello everybody,

I'll be flying with SQ for the first time and I don't know if my cabin baggage will be accepted. It is a wheeled backpack, but an unusual shape, in section is a trapeze, with the bottom larger than the top, like this one:http://offers.kd2.org/de/ch/aldi/pCbw/
The size is 55 x 34 x 26 cm (21.6 x 13.4 x 10.2 inches). SQ website says: Sum of length, width and height piece should not exceed 115cm. Mine is exactly 115, but it's the depth that worries me. Does SQ accept only standard rectangular trolleys max. 55x40x20 cm or it could be any shape, if the sum is below 115 cm ?
Please help, I'm leaving in 2 weeks ! Thank you !
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
It's within the rules, presumably if they had a maximum length they would have said so. BUT I would advise you to make sure you board early because otherwise you may have difficulty finding an overhead locker!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
In my experience SQ is pretty relaxed on hand luggage. I've never seen anyone stopped at the gate, though as the checked allowance is quite generous passengers tend not too go too crazy.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by w4rd
In my experience SQ is pretty relaxed on hand luggage. I've never seen anyone stopped at the gate, though as the checked allowance is quite generous passengers tend not too go too crazy.
Not in my experience @ LAX!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
I travel on SQ with a "legal" 110.5cm roller, but I find it doesn't fit in the overhead bins on the upper J deck of the A380. It does however slot fairly snugly into the storage area under the seat in front.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your answers ! I still have questions, sorry, never been with SQ nor on an A380
- may I take as a cabin baggage any shape of bag, if the sum is not bigger than 115 cm ? Even if the depth is 30-35 cm (e.g. a duffle bag on wheels) ?
- what does "early" mean ? 2 hours, more, less ? I am departing from Zurich and connecting in Singapore (for Sydney), all in Economy
- what if I don't find a locker, they will make me put it under the seat in front of me ?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
The 115cm maximum seems to be the only rule, but obviously you need to be able to store the bag safely. I fly J, so I don't know what the under-seat economy area is like, but it will be your only other option if the overhead lockers are full or not big enough.

Zurich airport is easily reached by SBB trains which I find to be very regular and reliable. The station is right underneath the main building where you check in, so you can't get lost.

At ZRH, SQ flights for SIN leave from Gate E which is not in the main terminal building and requires a (free) trip on the subterranean Skymetro Automated People Mover (APM). It's a short trip, but you need to allow 10 mins for it as well as time to clear customs, security, etc. It's a pretty large airport by world standards.

I usually cut 30 mins off the recommended 2 hours, but be aware that the A380s can commence boarding up to 50 mins prior to the scheduled departure time.

Try for a window seat on the right-hand side if you want to get a lovely panaroma of the Swiss Alps as you leave and start heading east. SQ345 leaves mid-morning, so weather permitting it can be quite a view.

Last edited by Jaunt411; Apr 1, 2017 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the great tips and help, Jaunt411 !

behyx, what happened at LAX ? Can they stop you at the gate and make you check in your hand luggage, even if they've accepted it at the check-in counter ? Does that mean that they may have different size standards for different airports ? That scares me, because I'll have to return with the same hand luggage from Sydney airport, I really hope they don't have stricter rules for Australia !

w4rd, can you confirm/infirm that for Singapore airport ? Do they check your hand-luggage again at the gates ? Only the size/weight or they scan it, as well ? I'll have a pack of cigarettes in it and I've heard that's very strict in Singapore.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
At Singapore Changi security scanning by airport staff is done at the gate. Airline staff will then have a quick look at you when you present your passport to enter the holding area, but in my experience they have not been concerned about hand luggage as long as it looks like it will fit in a locker. I have never seen anyone checking with scales and a tape measure! Of course, YMMV.

AFAIK there is no cigarette duty free allowance, so don't try and bring huge cartons into the country, but unless I'm mistaken its no business of outbound security.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I have never seen anyone checking with scales and a tape measure! Of course, YMMV.
Great, that's reassuring, thank you !
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

AFAIK there is no cigarette duty free allowance, so don't try and bring huge cartons into the country, but unless I'm mistaken its no business of outbound security.
But on inbound, yes ? Not even a few cigs in 1 open pack ?! My gosh ! How will I manage, then ? I have an 8 hours layover in SIN and I intend to take the Free Singapore Tour, so I'll be entering Singapore with my 3-4 cigarettes, to smoke them when we stop. Do you mean that's not possible ?!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Cigarettes aren't illegal. You just have to pay duty on them.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fimo
Cigarettes aren't illegal. You just have to pay duty on them.
I have nothing against it, but I don't want to slow down the whole group because I have something to declare and pay elsewhere, I imagine. Where could I buy Singaporean cigarettes before joining the tour group, while I'm still in transit ? I'll be in T3.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
If you have an 8hr layover I assume you have time to settle these issues before joining the tour.

Can't help you beyond that as I've not had to deal with this issue, maybe check the Changi Airport website or the tour organisers for info.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by micazina
But on inbound, yes ? Not even a few cigs in 1 open pack ?! My gosh ! How will I manage, then ? I have an 8 hours layover in SIN and I intend to take the Free Singapore Tour, so I'll be entering Singapore with my 3-4 cigarettes, to smoke them when we stop. Do you mean that's not possible ?!
Open packets are usually accepted by customs duty free (I would consider less than half a pack acceptable), but there is no guarantee as in accordance with the law even 1 cigarette is subject to duties.
Keep it on your body, as your luggage (even hand luggage) might get scanned by customs when leaving the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.