Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YQ from New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

YQ from New Zealand

I (vaguely) understand that airlines do not charge YQ for flights originating from New Zealand - I'm not sure whether it is a 'practice' or a law. I booked an AKL-SIN Saver award and was charged YQ. On the receipt it shows up as Airport/Government taxes NZD33.95 and Carrier Surcharges NZD188.80.

I tried to do another Standard booking and YQ shows as 0 (ie only taxes of NZD33.95).

Does anyone know whether I can recover it from SQ, and how to do so?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Originally Posted by bluepanda
I (vaguely) understand that airlines do not charge YQ for flights originating from New Zealand - I'm not sure whether it is a 'practice' or a law. I booked an AKL-SIN Saver award and was charged YQ. On the receipt it shows up as Airport/Government taxes NZD33.95 and Carrier Surcharges NZD188.80.

I tried to do another Standard booking and YQ shows as 0 (ie only taxes of NZD33.95).

Does anyone know whether I can recover it from SQ, and how to do so?
Call SQ to refund it.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by planetshakers
Call SQ to refund it.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I will. Have you done it before, and have you done it successfully?

The question is about how I should approach it, to ensure a first (and one time) success.

I'm afraid if I use the word "refund", I end up losing the ticket (agent will cancel it and refund me everything).

You know how sticky and/or uninformed they might be.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Could anyone get clarification about this if round-trip booking was made from SIN? I have following charges for SIN-CHC-SIN in C:

New Border Clearance Levy SGD 20.20
Passenger Service Charge (International) SGD 24.00
Passenger Service and Security Charge SGD 19.90
Passenger Security Charge (international) SGD 11.30
Aviation Levy SGD 6.10
Passenger Security Service Charge SGD 8.00
Airline Fuel and Insurance Surcharge SGD 333.00

Total SGD 422.50
I have upcoming flight on Dec 20th and coming back on Jan 5th. If I can get refund for YQ, does it has to be done before the flight?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
This is interesting news to me - thanks for posting. I have confirmed single J saver redemption CHC-SIN next year with:

Full cost breakdown

Airport/Government taxes include the following:

Tax charges per passenger Currency Adult
New Border Clearance Levy (F1) NZD 3.37
Passenger Service Charge (International) (KK) NZD 12.78
Passenger Security Charge (international) (IA) NZD 12.08
Sub-total (per passenger) NZD 28.23
Number of passengers 1
Total taxes NZD 28.23
Carrier surcharges include the following:

Surcharge per passenger Currency Adult
Airline Fuel and Insurance Surcharge (YQ) NZD 166.90
Sub-total (per passenger) NZD 166.90
Number of passengers 1
Total surcharges NZD 166.90
I suppose I'll be phoning up too, though I have some other flights on waitlist so I'll probably hold on until I know which flight I'll be on.

Last edited by w4rd; Dec 16, 2016 at 9:16 am Reason: clarified ticket
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:37 am

If anyone had any success in getting the YQ refunded for Saver awards originating from NZ, appreciate if you can share it.

Had previously tried to 'argue' this case with SQ for 3-4 months, at the end of it, was given an official email that "redemption fares issued from New Zealand with effect from 2006, the “Airline Fuel and Insurance surcharge” (YQ) element has been included in the fares for tickets issued under the Standard/Full redemption fare types. However for tickets issued under the Saver redemption fare types, the YQ element is still calculated as a separate entity. "
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:43 am

You would also notice that PEY saver doesn't have the YQ but the Y saver does. I'm not sure why.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slacker
If anyone had any success in getting the YQ refunded for Saver awards originating from NZ, appreciate if you can share it.

Had previously tried to 'argue' this case with SQ for 3-4 months, at the end of it, was given an official email that "redemption fares issued from New Zealand with effect from 2006, the “Airline Fuel and Insurance surcharge” (YQ) element has been included in the fares for tickets issued under the Standard/Full redemption fare types. However for tickets issued under the Saver redemption fare types, the YQ element is still calculated as a separate entity. "
Typical response that I've anticipated, which is why I didn't want to call before I have sufficient ammo.

Does any one have a quote, preferably a link, to the NZ regulation (if there's one) that prohibits the YQ?

Collectively, we can right this wrong!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:20 pm

Typical response that I've anticipated, which is why I didn't want to call before I have sufficient ammo.

Does any one have a quote, preferably a link, to the NZ regulation (if there's one) that prohibits the YQ?

Collectively, we can right this wrong!
I have previously written to Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand and they advised that they are state safety regulator, and my enquiry on fuel surcharges is outside their area of responsibility.

I also wrote to NZ Ministry of Transport and they advised that:
New Zealand does not regulate surcharges applied to airline tickets.

New Zealand removed the need for international tariffs (including surcharges) to be approved as part of the overall deregulation which took place in the economy from the mid 1980s.

Where two or more airlines are jointly setting tariffs, this might raise competition issues in terms of the Commerce Act. However, if appropriate, airlines can seek authorisation which provides an exemption from the Commerce Act.
You are right, we need to right this wrong.
But unless somebody can come up with the relevant regulation/legislation, I believe it is quite hard for SQ not to get away with this.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I don't where people get the idea that YQ is not allowed in NZ. That is not true.

OP may be confused by the consumer law that requires prices in NZ to be quoted inclusive of all taxes/fees?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I don't where people get the idea that YQ is not allowed in NZ. That is not true.

OP may be confused by the consumer law that requires prices in NZ to be quoted inclusive of all taxes/fees?
+1
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks. This explains it then. However, the mystery remains that Standard J or F does not charge YQ. Someone mentioned PEY too. Is SQ that generous? If they are allowed to charge YQ, they would!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

On further reflection, this does mean YQ is not allowed, isn't it? If ticket price is all-inclusive, nothing can be additional.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
On further reflection, this does mean YQ is not allowed, isn't it? If ticket price is all-inclusive, nothing can be additional.
No - airlines are free to have charges ex-NZ (including domestic). They are not allowed to quote a price that excludes the charges without also displaying the price that is inclusive of charges.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:27 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
There is a difference between buying a ticket and a redemption ticket.

Buying a ticket - the YQ is included in the marketed price.

Redemption ticket - YQ is an additional charge for a Saver Award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.