Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:55 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by onlySIA
The "flipping" that so many people complain about is really not that bad. Sure, you have to stand up and rearrange a few belongings so they don't get squashed. Cabin crew can assist if you can't figure it out. It usually takes about a minute and the exercise helps reduce DVT
Yeah I don't see the flipping as an issue. the biggest issue for me is the small foot cubby.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jxd
Yeah I don't see the flipping as an issue. the biggest issue for me is the small foot cubby.
+1. I'd like a little extra padding on the seat back or some sort of a slim mattress if I could "make a wish", but folding down the seat isn't bad versus the very narrow foot area and the need to sit angled when stretching out a bit (at least I do) + the limited lounging recline. YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by demue
I'd like a little extra padding on the seat back or some sort of a slim mattress if I could "make a wish"...
Just ask for another duvet from crew. Problem sorted.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by HAF
... the flipping to make a bed, and the hard surface and the tight foot cubby hole... all these scare me for a 16hr flight

Currently all of row 19 is open - but the fact that these are bassinet seats scare me...
Is this a bit over dramatic? Perhaps some perspective is in order, if you get so easily "scared" by an otherwise perfectly functional bed, and the possibility of small people in your cabin.
rt23456p, 17cc and kevin111260 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Just ask for another duvet from crew. Problem sorted.
Well, it's all personal preference I'd say. The first version of SQs fold down Biz seat (2006) had an even harder sleeping side than the 2013 one which was softened a bit because many pax complained. My personal choice is 2017 Biz seat on A380 when it comes to SQ long haul Biz, but then my next two flights are on an A350 .

While admittedly I do follow your advice and use a second blanket (if available) for extra padding (call me soft I guess), I was more coming from the angle that you can get a mattress pad in Biz with other carriers, e.g. NH, LH etc., as part of the product. Ohh and I wouldn't call that SQ "blanky" a duvet

Now just to make sure, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying LH's Biz seat is better or even up to par to SQs, just that there is extra padding available. And most importantly I would not agree with the thread title that SQ Biz seat is shockingly bad, just that it is not perfect in my book for what I like. YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by demue
Well, it's all personal preference I'd say. The first version of SQs fold down Biz seat (2006) had an even harder sleeping side than the 2013 one which was softened a bit because many pax complained. My personal choice is 2017 Biz seat on A380 when it comes to SQ long haul Biz, but then my next two flights are on an A350 .

While admittedly I do follow your advice and use a second blanket (if available) for extra padding (call me soft I guess), I was more coming from the angle that you can get a mattress pad in Biz with other carriers, e.g. NH, LH etc., as part of the product. Ohh and I wouldn't call that SQ "blanky" a duvet

Now just to make sure, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying LH's Biz seat is better or even up to par to SQs, just that there is extra padding available. And most importantly I would not agree with the thread title that SQ Biz seat is shockingly bad, just that it is not perfect in my book for what I like. YMMV.
That's funny...I know it's all personal preference but I find the 2017 A380 seat harder than the A350/77W seat. While I certainly wouldn't mind extra padding, I find the padding on the A380 seat to be somewhat useless...it just comes undone and I find myself straightening it out throughout the flight.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by bpk6h
That's funny...I know it's all personal preference but I find the 2017 A380 seat harder than the A350/77W seat. While I certainly wouldn't mind extra padding, I find the padding on the A380 seat to be somewhat useless...it just comes undone and I find myself straightening it out throughout the flight.
True, the padding coming undone on the 2017 seat is an annoyance that SQ should try to fix. Either way, as I said, it is more preferences. I wouldn't say that any of the current bunch of SQ Biz seats (leave old MI seats out of it) are bad, they are good for me at least, else I'd not fly them, but certainly they are not perfect either and other carriers do have some pretty good products these days.

Will be interesting what SIA comes up with for the 77X in Biz. Time will tell. YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:00 am
HAF

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Is this a bit over dramatic? Perhaps some perspective is in order, if you get so easily "scared" by an otherwise perfectly functional bed, and the possibility of small people in your cabin.
First world problems right? yes it is over dramatic in the big scheme of things - However we have a lot of scar tissue from babies crying their heads off for the duration of a 17hr flight, or a group of 2 year olds stampeding and screaming up and down the corridor, for hours, when I need to be at the office and productive the next day. And at the same time I had babies sitting next to me that I would not even know they are there. I guess it depends on the parents - but anyhow - discussion for different forum.

Regarding the SQ J bed on A350 - I guess I will find out once i fly SQ. The "scary" is reflecting the fact that the SQ business seat concept is unique and in my many years of flying business class around the world I have not come across having to do anything more than just "press the bed button" when I want to seat to go flat - and not to contort diagonally like a pretzel.

Especially on business trips at the other side of the world I do still have the aspiration to minimize jetlag and be able to get restful sleep before I get in to the office for a 12 hour day. Maybe too much to ask these days and expectations need to be lowered.

In any case, I am sure SQ will be fine - your comments are insightful - as I said - for now I will avoid row 19; not only due to the bassinets but also due to the galley noise and traffic, and I will be in the lookout if row 11 opens up at some point closer to check in.

--HAF
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by jxd
It is the same with me since I am over 6 feet tall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.