Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SQ regional J for the 787-10?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

New SQ regional J for the 787-10?

If I'm reading that right, that's a slightly different one than the longhaul version... and with an 8 hour flight radius planned, I really hope it's not TOO Different.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...10-airbus-a350
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
If I'm reading that right, that's a slightly different one than the longhaul version... and with an 8 hour flight radius planned, I really hope it's not TOO Different.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...10-airbus-a350
it makes sense for the new regional J seats on the new 787s and new batch of A350s to be more similar to the 2017 A380 new J seats rather than follow the 2013 product that is used on the current batch of 350s
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:00 pm

Interesting that SQ appears to be looking to a regional / medium-haul design as differentiated from long-haul – admittedly the longest medium-haul routes are to Australia's east coast at around 8 hours with overnight flights part of that, although many other regional flights would be a handful of hours.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:36 pm

8 hour flights are long haul in my book. Particularly on overnight flights when you want to sleep, the angled flat beds on A330s and 777-200s don't cut it. Hoping the new regional J will at least be proper lie-flat.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I sincerely hope it is going to a big upgrade from the current regional product on the A330s. That seat is torture (relatively speaking of course) on medium haul red-eyes to Australia or India.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by occasionalJ
8 hour flights are long haul in my book. Particularly on overnight flights when you want to sleep, the angled flat beds on A330s and 777-200s don't cut it. Hoping the new regional J will at least be proper lie-flat.
Eight hours are a relatively short run for us Aussies! :P

Totally agreed that any new regional J should be fully-flat, not a 'sloping sleeper'. I think most would expect that, unless Australia gets the standard A350s and the regionals are assigned to much shorter runs.

[Be interested to hear what SQ's longest and highest-frequency regional routes are, once you remove Australia from the list – TGflyergirl, any idea?]

The thing is: if a new regional J was fully-flat, then how else to substantially differentiate it from long-haul fully-flat J..?

And 'substantial' might be the key word here. Unless the design can bring down the per-seat cost or reduce the footprint to fit more pax in the same cabin space, then might not the economics of designing and producing a different seat for the regional fleet be outweighed by the savings and fleet simplification (including equipment swaps) of deploying the same long-haul J seat right across the A350-900 fleet?

Last edited by djsflynn; Apr 5, 2016 at 9:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Eight hours are a relatively short run for us Aussies! :P
True. For me though, the 8 hour "short run" is always followed by a 13 hour flight! I would think most Aussies are transiting Changi, so we are on true long haul trips!

Plus with Virgin and QF both offering proper lie-flat beds from SYD / MEL / BNE to PER on a ~5 hour point-to-point flight, the market expects that as standard. Hoping SQ keep pace with the market!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:13 am

I also agree that SIN-Australia is essentially long-haul and requires a long-haul product. Hopefully they won't introduce a very sub-standard product as they have on the A330 and retrofitted B777-200s/-300s.

Speaking of the future of Business Class, is anyone going to the SQ research session next week ?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Eh? I thought SQ doesn't want any 787 (they gave all the 787 they ordered to Scoot).
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by williamluk
Eh? I thought SQ doesn't want any 787 (they gave all the 787 they ordered to Scoot).
The 787-8s and 787-9s went to Scoot but the larger capacity 787-10 is with the SQ mainline.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
The 787-8s and 787-9s went to Scoot but the larger capacity 787-10 is with the SQ mainline.
I see . . .. Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Interesting that SQ appears to be looking to a regional / medium-haul design as differentiated from long-haul – admittedly the longest medium-haul routes are to Australia's east coast at around 8 hours with overnight flights part of that, although many other regional flights would be a handful of hours.
And it's exactly this that has me fearing that some bright spark at SQ may be considering something other than a 1-2-1 config. I really hope they don't cock this up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.