Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

What happened to award stopover option on website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold

Hi,

First time poster on the Flyertalk SQ page. Just wanted to know if I am missing something here.

Trying to book an award SFO-SIN-DPS-SIN (stopover)-SFO in December. In the old SQ website, when booking an award you could select one stopover in either direction (not 1 each way) on the website. Now I go into the new SQ website, and that option is gone. Do I have to call the SQ call center now to do that or is this a screw up on the the design of the website (or am I not doing this right)? If I have to call the call center since that functionality is not there, would I not get the 15% award booking discount? Would I have to book the award flights online and then call in to have them change the itinerary to include the stopover (and will I be charged for it)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Not sure how old the "old website" you're referring to is, but since I joined the hobby maybe 2 years ago, stopovers weren't bookable online.

Need to call to book.
They should honour the 15% discount.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:25 pm
azj

I just booked an AKL-SIN-TPE ticket with about a 40 hour layover on purpose, to take advantage of 2 nights in SIN. Just look closely at the details of your flight options and pick one that suits you. My ticket cost no more than the other flight options with shorter layovers. Once the booking was complete, there was an area in "Manage booking" to book a stopover hotel package. Cheaper options can be found on your own, however.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
I just tried to book a GRU-SIN.
After selecting the flight with a BCN stopover, the second page was one asking specifically if I wanted to do a stopover. So now it is in a separate pop-up window it seems.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
Not sure how old the "old website" you're referring to is, but since I joined the hobby maybe 2 years ago, stopovers weren't bookable online.

Need to call to book.
They should honour the 15% discount.
There was always an option to book it online. I booked a flight also SFO-DPS via SIN 6 months ago and within each leg it use to ask if you wanted to add a stopover. When I say stopover I am not talking about stopover package where you get to book discounted hotels etc. I am referring to having the option to select which city you want to stopover at and how long before you depart to the next destination. The city must be one that the flight is scheduled to stop at either as a fuel stop or a stop where you need to transfer aircraft. As mentioned earlier, I have booked SFO-SIN, stayed 2 weeks and then carried on to DPS. Then on the return left DPS, 4 hour transit in Singapore then onward to SFO via HKG. This was all done on the website.

The website 6 months ago was an older version of what it is today. Each time then when I logged in it use to ask me if I wanted to stay on the current website or go to the beta website. The beta website is now the current version of the website. That is my understanding.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnSIN
I just tried to book a GRU-SIN.
After selecting the flight with a BCN stopover, the second page was one asking specifically if I wanted to do a stopover. So now it is in a separate pop-up window it seems.
The only option I see for asking to do a stopover is to book a hotel (part of the stopover package that SQ offers). I am looking for flight stopovers, not hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:34 pm

Example you wish to fly on the dates below:

SFO-SIN-DPS 20 Jan
DPS-SIN 30 Jan
SIN-SFO 20 Feb

You need to search SFO-DPS as a round trip redemption booking. Outbound 20 Jan, return 30 Jan. Then you select your desired SFO-DPS flight on 20 Jan. Doesn't matter which DPS-SFO flight you select on 30 Jan (you are not going to fly back to SFO on this date anyway).

Then after clicking next, the system will ask if you wish to add a stopover. Then you will can choose to stopover in SIN on the return, and fly out only on 20 Feb. The system will then ask you to choose your flights again for the return segment, this time as DPS-SIN on 30 Jan and SIN-SFO on 20 Feb.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by buaya00
The only option I see for asking to do a stopover is to book a hotel (part of the stopover package that SQ offers). I am looking for flight stopovers, not hotel.
I dunno, I've never tried personally but every time I see similar threads on these boards, the answer has always been (well, since I joined a year ago) "you can't book stopovers on the website, you need to call in to KF and request the 15% discount."

*shrug* So this thread confuses me since it goes against all I've read on these boards in the past year.

[edit] Aha, I see where I might have misunderstood. SQ's website should allow you to book the 'free' stopover (e.g. 1 stopover on return saver awards, 2 stopovers on return standard/full awards), but not the pay-$100-for-it additional stopover?

Last edited by shuigao; Jan 13, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:38 am

Yes, free stopover can be booked online. Any open-jaw or paid stopover must be done via call center. 15% discount can be honored.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samunique
Example you wish to fly on the dates below:

SFO-SIN-DPS 20 Jan
DPS-SIN 30 Jan
SIN-SFO 20 Feb

You need to search SFO-DPS as a round trip redemption booking. Outbound 20 Jan, return 30 Jan. Then you select your desired SFO-DPS flight on 20 Jan. Doesn't matter which DPS-SFO flight you select on 30 Jan (you are not going to fly back to SFO on this date anyway).

Then after clicking next, the system will ask if you wish to add a stopover. Then you will can choose to stopover in SIN on the return, and fly out only on 20 Feb. The system will then ask you to choose your flights again for the return segment, this time as DPS-SIN on 30 Jan and SIN-SFO on 20 Feb.
Thank you so much!!! I see it now. Weird thing is when I have done this numerous times before, I never saw the pop up. Wonder if my pop-up blocker had turned it off.

Appreciate all the responses.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
is the $100 stopover on one way awards applicable to star alliance flights, or SQ operated metal only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.