Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ's "low service" First class offering.. now standard on overnight flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: epigram
Flights confirmed by FTers as "low service" (catering officially known as "sleeper service"):

In F:
  • SQ218 MEL-SIN (dep 01.05 Oct-Mar, 00:05 Apr-Sep)
  • SQ231 SIN-SYD (dep 00:45)
  • SQ237 SIN-MEL (dep 23.45)
  • SQ636 SIN-HND (dep 22:35) - refer post #151 for March 2019 menu
  • SQ638 SIN-NRT (dep 23:55)
  • SQ008 SIN-ICN (dep 02:45)
  • SQ800 SIN-PEK (dep 01:10)

In J:
All of above +
  • SQ255 SIN-BNE (dep 00:45)
  • SQ246 BNE-SIN (dep 23:55)
  • SQ608 SIN-ICN (dep 00:10)
  • SQ618 SIN-KIX (dep 01:30)
  • SQ656 SIN-FUK (dep 01:20)
  • SQ672 SIN-NGO (dep 01:20)
Print Wikipost

SQ's "low service" First class offering.. now standard on overnight flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:37 am

Beat me to it. There is an element of cost cutting involved too.

I was speaking to a management captain last week who told me that it's disheartening to see how much cost cutting is going on at SQ these days. Not that it directly affects him, but given that he is local and feels a personal sense of pride about SQ, he didn't really feel it was right for one of the world's best carriers to adopt a downmarket approach.

Flying more QR and less SQ lately. Always nice to fly a carrier that can afford to operate at a loss. The amount of food available in F on their 0155 departure to BKK has taken a couple of years off my life expectancy. That's how a premium cabin should be catered - relative to the product and not relative to the time of day.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Phaze
Beat me to it. There is an element of cost cutting involved too.

I was speaking to a management captain last week who told me that it's disheartening to see how much cost cutting is going on at SQ these days. Not that it directly affects him, but given that he is local and feels a personal sense of pride about SQ, he didn't really feel it was right for one of the world's best carriers to adopt a downmarket approach.
Well Y cabin food has visibly deteriorated compared with 2 years ago when I was based in Singapore and therefore was travelling on SQ a lot more. The cabin crew manager on my last Singapore US flight complained of cost cutting impacting their service.

Nevertheless it is all relative as they still offer much better F&B than CX.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: Some
Not catering.. but on three consecutive SQ flights from SIN-SYD the KrisWorld didn't work and on one flight my seat was broken.. Hopefully not as a result of cost cutting.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:22 pm

SQ is very poor value for money if you are base in Singapore.

One of my best sleeping experience was with CX, after a full meal service, I went to sleep, really deep sleep. Cabin Crew only waked me up 20min before touch down. Which was really good! Quickly went to get change in washroom, they rearranged the seat to upright mode. Landing at HKG, so could have shower and breakfast in their arrival lounge. If outstation, they told me they would provide a doggy bag.

Most of my SQ premier class experiences were not very impress.
For Y class, yes they are a bit better than others.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat. IHG Plat, SL Jade
Oh this doesn't sound good.

Have booked MEL-LHR and CDG-MEL in Aug, and 3 out of the 4 flights are red eye. I wanted to book suites so these flights were the only available within the time frame I wanted, considering it was saver awards.

I was planning on staying up as long as possible to enjoy the IFE and dom/krug.

Hope the service was only reflective of the crew at the time and not all red eye flights.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by ninjatim
Oh this doesn't sound good.

Have booked MEL-LHR and CDG-MEL in Aug, and 3 out of the 4 flights are red eye. I wanted to book suites so these flights were the only available within the time frame I wanted, considering it was saver awards.

I was planning on staying up as long as possible to enjoy the IFE and dom/krug.

Hope the service was only reflective of the crew at the time and not all red eye flights.
On Europe sectors you get a full service (perhaps without the caviar?). On the MEL sectors the two flights that get the single meal (supper or breakfast) service are SIN-MEL SQ 237 and MEL-SIN on SQ 218. If on the latter, my advice would be to Book the Cook for your supper, stay up for a while and enjoy, then sleep until 20mins before landing and go for breakfast in the lounge or somewhere in SIN if it is a long connection to LHR. Just pass a comment to the crew that you would like to enjoy some food and drinks for a while before going to sleep.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:39 pm

Just changed my SQ F SIN-SFO from SQ16 to SQ2. Now kind of regret the decision. Seems that it's going to be a rushed service with no caviar and satay service. The again, SQ16 only has private room breakfast. Kind of not the full package either ways.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by fzhfzh
The again, SQ16 only has private room breakfast. Kind of not the full package either ways.
Or you could stick to SQ 16, check in the night before (SQ allows 48 hours earlier in Changi if you are kiasu enough), and have dinner at TPR
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
Or you could stick to SQ 16, check in the night before (SQ allows 48 hours earlier in Changi if you are kiasu enough), and have dinner at TPR
Hahaha well I thought of that, but decided it was too much effort for a meal.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
The only things you really don't get on SQ2 is the caviar and satay. You can have plenty of appetizers in the lounge pre flight to make up for that and still get a great meal on board, especially if you BTC.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by fzhfzh
Just changed my SQ F SIN-SFO from SQ16 to SQ2. Now kind of regret the decision. Seems that it's going to be a rushed service with no caviar and satay service. The again, SQ16 only has private room breakfast. Kind of not the full package either ways.
Caviar AND satay? Not together surely? I have never flown F in SQ, but this sounds like a very strange combination.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn
One of my best sleeping experience was with CX, after a full meal service, I went to sleep, really deep sleep. Cabin Crew only waked me up 20min before touch down. Which was really good! Quickly went to get change in washroom, they rearranged the seat to upright mode. Landing at HKG, so could have shower and breakfast in their arrival lounge. If outstation, they told me they would provide a doggy bag.
Exactly my point about service designed for maximising sleep. SQ does not seem to have figured this out yet. When they do I am sure it will be well done, but right now it's neither here nor there.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by KACommuter
Caviar AND satay? Not together surely? I have never flown F in SQ, but this sounds like a very strange combination.
Yeah they have satay first, then caviar service as an appetizer after that.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
The only things you really don't get on SQ2 is the caviar and satay. You can have plenty of appetizers in the lounge pre flight to make up for that and still get a great meal on board, especially if you BTC.
Yeah, I kind of debated with myself as well on this. And decided that I can just order caviar on Amazon for 100 bucks. Whereas foie gras in private room I can't get in california.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Speaking of overnight.... we are doing Delhi to SIN. 10pm to 6am, just short of 6 hour flight in suites on a380. What sort of food service should we expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.