Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Involuntary denied boarding for visa by SQ (compensation?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold

My mum was travelling from SYD-BOM two months ago. She has an Australian Passport and is also an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). There was a bit of a mix up at the Airport as she recently got a new Australian passport (old one expired) which did not contain her OCI Life Long Visa, she did however have her OCI booklet/passport on her. SQ staff insisted that she needed this visa in her new Australian Passport to travel and denied her boarding. I rang the Indian Consulate who said this was not a requirement and they issued an email which enabled mum to get the afternoon flight, also she had no dramas when actually entering Mumbai. My understanding was that TIMATIC is the official system they must use for visa guidelines. Having complained to SQ about the matter they say they are placing reliance on information provided by a third part visa service provider VFS. Per TIMATIC mum should have been allowed to travel. After months of correspondence SQ are refusing to take responsibility for the error and to provide involuntary denied boarding compensation. Does anyone have any suggestions on next steps? Or a view on if we are in the right?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by jetsetter86
My mum was travelling from SYD-BOM two months ago. She has an Australian Passport and is also an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). There was a bit of a mix up at the Airport as she recently got a new Australian passport (old one expired) which did not contain her OCI Life Long Visa, she did however have her OCI booklet/passport on her. SQ staff insisted that she needed this visa in her new Australian Passport to travel and denied her boarding. I rang the Indian Consulate who said this was not a requirement and they issued an email which enabled mum to get the afternoon flight, also she had no dramas when actually entering Mumbai. My understanding was that TIMATIC is the official system they must use for visa guidelines. Having complained to SQ about the matter they say they are placing reliance on information provided by a third part visa service provider VFS. Per TIMATIC mum should have been allowed to travel. After months of correspondence SQ are refusing to take responsibility for the error and to provide involuntary denied boarding compensation. Does anyone have any suggestions on next steps? Or a view on if we are in the right?
SQ is not the only airline relying on third party visa verification. At least CX is the same. Rules are complicated and changes all the time with little or no notice. So many airlines rely on third party check. IMHO, you didn't do anything wrong, but neither did SQ.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
My experience of SQ is that they will *never* admit they are wrong even when you can cite chapter and verse showing how they are wrong
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
... involuntary denied boarding compensation ...
I would imagine the main consideration here is where there are any laws in Australia or India (or maybe SG) that mandate any IDB payout. I know EU (and I suppose US) laws specify the quantum of compensation in IDB scenarios, but obviously these don't apply to a SYD-BOM flight.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:51 am
Original Poster

The trouble is SQ are refusing to acknowledge that it's a case of IDB. They say they followed regulations. In fact they have changed their story. First they said they followed TIMATC then I called them out on it and now they say they followed VFS. Is there any means to escalate?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
The trouble is SQ are refusing to acknowledge that it's a case of IDB. They say they followed regulations. In fact they have changed their story. First they said they followed TIMATC then I called them out on it and now they say they followed VFS. Is there any means to escalate?
What losses did you incur, exactly (other than time and hassle)?

If I understand your initial post correctly, i.e. "... enabled mum to get the afternoon flight, also she had no dramas when actually entering Mumbai," she did eventually get on a later, same-day flight to BOM. Did you have to pay extra for this second flight?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
I would imagine the main consideration here is where there are any laws in Australia or India (or maybe SG) that mandate any IDB payout. I know EU (and I suppose US) laws specify the quantum of compensation in IDB scenarios, but obviously these don't apply to a SYD-BOM flight.
I dare to say that with an IDB case based on visa-irregularities you would have a hard time to claim compensation under EC261/2004 from any airline in europe.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SQ325
I dare to say that with an IDB case based on visa-irregularities you would have a hard time to claim compensation under EC261/2004 from any airline in europe.
That is incorrect. If EC 261/2004 applied, there would be a simple factual determination to be made. E.g., "was the visa requirement properly made and thus the boarding properly denied?" If so, no compensation. If so, EC 261/2004, in all its majesty, would apply and the aggrieved passenger could apply to the carrier and then the courts for compensation. EC 261/2004, of course does not apply here.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Unfortunately Australia doesn't have IDB laws. While you may wish to pursue SQ for some sort of compensation based on goodwill/inconvenience, you will have a hard time pointing to any specific law for protection.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
What losses did you incur, exactly (other than time and hassle)?

If I understand your initial post correctly, i.e. "... enabled mum to get the afternoon flight, also she had no dramas when actually entering Mumbai," she did eventually get on a later, same-day flight to BOM. Did you have to pay extra for this second flight?
And stress... an old lady alone at an outpost airport experiencing being put in limbo, having to argue with checkin staff, plus calls for help to her son and in turn to the Indian consulate. All would not have been caused had the checkin staff verified against TIMATIC and not VFS in the first place.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
That is incorrect.
What is incorrect
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by SQ325
What is incorrect
Um, I think the bit he quoted?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by RTWFF
My experience of SQ is that they will *never* admit they are wrong even when you can cite chapter and verse showing how they are wrong
Spot on. Rule somewhere + robot training + kiasu culture = losing battle.

I had an identical experience, and resolved it by doing as my Singaporean colleagues advised - create a big stink and escalate at least 2 levels.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
SQ is not the only airline relying on third party visa verification. At least CX is the same. Rules are complicated and changes all the time with little or no notice. So many airlines rely on third party check. IMHO, you didn't do anything wrong, but neither did SQ.
All airlines with extensive international flights rely on third party providers for visa information.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KACommuter
Spot on. Rule somewhere + robot training + kiasu culture = losing battle.

I had an identical experience, and resolved it by doing as my Singaporean colleagues advised - create a big stink and escalate at least 2 levels.
Already tried that. They won't budge. They didn't use TIMATC like they are supposed to. Anybody have ideas on other means of escalation? Department of fair trading couldn't help and recommended legal aid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.