Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting between classes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Visiting between classes

I'm flying first class on SQ1 to HKG. My wife is in business with 7-month-old son. Can I see them whenever I want? Also can she and my baby board with me?

Thanks.

Last edited by uclasfo; Dec 13, 2015 at 10:29 pm Reason: .
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Which flight are you on ?
Should be alright most times but preferably not during meal service , unless within US airspace - when one isn't allowed to " wander " or gather
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Which flight are you on ?
Should be alright most times but preferably not during meal service , unless within US airspace - when one isn't allowed to " wander " or gather
Did you bother reading OP? It is SQ1

Originally Posted by uclasfo
I'm flying first class on SQ1 to HKG. My wife is in business with 7-month-old son. Can I see them whenever I want? Also can she and my baby board with me?

Thanks.
You going from F to J is OK, but as said, preferably not during the meal service. Other way round - should not be done.

SQ usually boards mothers with kids and other pax that require assistance even ahead of premium class pax. So I do not see any issues with boarding together.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Did you bother reading OP? It is SQ1
No need to be hard on the poster. The post was edited after he replied, so the flight info might not have been mentioned at first.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by fimo
No need to be hard on the poster. The post was edited after he replied, so the flight info might not have been mentioned at first.
Exactly .
Thanks fimo .
From Tassie .. Not surprising . Perhaps meet up in Saffire or Launceston when we return

So it ' s the portion over US airspace I ' m referring to .
Not sure of portion closer to HI - when it ' s international .
Take SQ 1 often enough , sometimes it seems to fly north up the coast then west & others it seems to head west early on . Can ' t recall if it depends on time of year ..
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The governing principle isn't whether the aircraft is in US airspace, it's whether the aircraft is destined to the US. In that case, movement between cabins is prohibited by DOT rule.

However, that rule is often honored in the breach. Nonetheless, as with all movement between cabins, make certain that you seek the crew's permission each time. If it is denied, that is the end of it.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat

Thanks.
Why not have your wife in F?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Originally Posted by caimaster
Why not have your wife in F?
Unless it's his wife that's the breadwinner and he stays at home with their son, so she wants to spend some quality time with the baby. We shouldn't automatically revert to gender norms.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by windchaser777
Unless it's his wife that's the breadwinner and he stays at home with their son, so she wants to spend some quality time with the baby. We shouldn't automatically revert to gender norms.
Actually, I read the suggestion as both of them in F.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:56 pm

Yeah, my wife would kill me if I was in F and she in J... lol
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
seriously though, why not have your wife in F and you in J?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Thanks.
Basically the answer is yes to all of those.

You can visit her whenever you want. As mentioned, during meal times may be a bit more difficult as there's no buddy seat in business class.

Your wife should not expect to be able to cross up from biz to first however.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
seriously though, why not have your wife in F and you in J?
I really cannot imagine people actually saying and announcing here that they'd fly in F and their wife fly in J ! I would without a doubt do the opposite...

Imagine all the brownie points you'd earn by doing just that.. and spending some quality time with your son in J. Until he needs feeding, then bring baby up to be fed and you stay in J.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I really cannot imagine people actually saying and announcing here that they'd fly in F and their wife fly in J !..
As a woman, I would tell my husband to take F because it means more to him.

Pretty sure he would say, "No, Hon. You take it" and I would roll my eyes and say, "No, Hon. Go, go!" and he would be off and running without looking back.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I really cannot imagine people actually saying and announcing here that they'd fly in F and their wife fly in J !
I admire real men who don't budge to social pressure. The family will survive in C.
Imagine all the brownie points you'd earn by doing just that
But visualise the respect you earn by not doing it!
..Until he needs feeding, then bring baby up to be fed and you stay in J.
But that's exactly what cannot be done ... a J-baby has to stay in J ... let alone a J husband!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.