Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

ultra short long haul connections with SQ at Changi - advice needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Silver

I am Eurobonus Diamond/*Gold normally fly everywhere with SK, but find myself on SQ this Thursday/Friday/Saturday flying from LHR-SIN-CHC. I have an extremely short connection at Changi between the LHR-SIN and SIN-CHC. Inbound SQ321 arrives at 19:00 on Friday, outbound SQ297 leaves at 19:50. To make it even more challenging I am in Y at the back of an SQ A380. I have made similarly short and even shorter connections at ZRH with LX, but do any SQ Changi regulars have advice about whether this connection is even possible, if it is how I might make it more possible and whether or how SQ might actually help me to make it, and if I can't whether SQ will help me out with a re-routing or anything via AKL or somewhere else. I'd really appreciate any advice as I know CPH, EWR, ICN and NRT like the back of my hand, but don't pay too many visits to SIN.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:59 pm

Not an expert with Changi connection but yours should work. SQ flights are located Terminal 3 so it shouldn't be a problem.
The other option is to re-book your outbound on SQ305 which departs 1h30m earlier than SQ321 if you are uncomfortable with the short connection.

Last edited by kevinoh; Nov 23, 2015 at 2:10 pm Reason: More info
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Is this all on one ticket, even if it is not SQ usually is very good with protecting you on the onward flight. Both flights should be arriving and leaving from Terminal 3. As well, SQ is selling this connection so you should be fine. Not to worry.

LHR flights usually arrive in the A gates and CHC leaves from around those same gates.
Get familiar with Terminal 3 :

Last edited by djjaguar64; Nov 23, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Is this all on one ticket, even if it is not SQ usually is very good with protecting you on the onward flight. Both flights should be arriving and leaving from Terminal 3. As well, SQ is selling this connection so you should be fine. Not to worry.

Get familiar with Terminal 3 :

Yes all on one ticket, I would never buy two long haul tickets with such a short connection - even perhaps with SK and SQ, who I guess could interline baggage. Thanks for the map of Changi, it'll help me figure out which way to run off the plane! Hopefully SIN Terminal 2 isn't like BRU, with a ridiculous convoluted labyrinth of a journey between arriving and departing gates (and badly signposted elevator journey).
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, AZ Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, HHonors Gold
50mins should be more than enough. Besides, I have noticed SQ typically pads their schedule, and more often than not, my SQ flights have arrived ahead of schedule into SIN.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:13 pm

SQ will definitely try their best to get you on your connecting flight. Gate info will be posted on IFE and also outside the gate once you've disembarked. Sometimes they'll standby a buggy for extremely tight connections.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Departure from SIN to LHR or CHC is via Terminal 3 but arrival will depends on the Ground ATC and whatever situation that might appear during that time. So you might arrive in Terminal 2 instead of 3.

I think the only thing you have to be worried about is if there's a delay ex-LHR.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by worldrally
SQ will definitely try their best to get you on your connecting flight. Gate info will be posted on IFE and also outside the gate once you've disembarked. Sometimes they'll standby a buggy for extremely tight connections.
Not always...

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Departure from SIN to LHR or CHC is via Terminal 3 but arrival will depends on the Ground ATC and whatever situation that might appear during that time. So you might arrive in Terminal 2 instead of 3.

I think the only thing you have to be worried about is if there's a delay ex-LHR.
Correct...
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Your baggage - assuming you have checked some in - will precede you between aircraft so they will move heaven and earth not to have to search for and unload your baggage, which is what they will do once they declare you a no-show

I often make a 50 minute connection at Changi, sometimes between T2 & T3. However I'd approach the cabin crew about an hour before landing and explain your situation. Not sure what happens on an A380 because I never sit down the back and I can't recall whether it's F or J at the front, but on 777 I've often seen passengers moved into the front cabin from Economy immediately before "fasten your seatbelts"
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Very reassuring all of that, at least it sounds possible, and if anything the issue will be with LHR and the inevitable waiting on the tarmac in west London, or flying round south east England in circles for hours. Normally I fly out of MAN to avoid LHR, but SQ's flight from MAN to SIN via MUC adds virtually half a day and a very early start to what is already a terribly long journey in economy. I am doing the CHC-SIN-MUC-MAN on return with SQ, but the return is better timed. At least it's on SQ as opposed to UA (last year I did MAN-EWR-SFO-HNL in economy which is the same length as LHR-SIN-CHC, but was one of the hardest and least comfortable days of my life) thanks again anyway everyone.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Just one more comment. One reason this is entirely possible at SIN is because of gate based security. In most situations of transferring intl-intl (except intra-Schengen and the like), where there are common security points for transferring passengers, this can cause delays. At Changi, you don't reach security until you reach the gate, and if there is a big queue there, chances are that it's for your flight.

The main exception to this, is where there are shared gates, and if you find yourself with a long queue at security, because passengers for a later departing flight are also queuing at the same security line - and its <15 mins to departure time for your CHC flight- quietly approach security and point out you are on the CHC flight and they will allow you to jump the queue. In my experience they are very accommodating in these situations.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As others have said, entirely doable even in 30mins I would say, unless your LHR flight is delayed in which case SQ will protect you on your next flight. When you exit the plane into the terminal, look out for ground staff with a sign for the CHC flight. They usually usher the pax with tight connections to their next gate (with or without buggy, depends).
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
50 minutes is plenty of time and also there are likely to be other passengers making the same connection.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The only problem I see, is that you cannot enjoy the airport!!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
No problem at all.

10 mins - Getting out of Plane
25 mins - Getting to outbound Gate
10 mins - Clear Gate security

If the flight is late, SQ will normally have someone waiting at arrival Gate with your name on it. They will help get you to the gate on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.