Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ Premium Economy - Preliminary Thoughts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Premium Economy - Preliminary Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:44 pm

I just did SIN-SYD as well on PE and I actually liked the seats. I was on the 77W on the outbound leg and I thought the greater incline made it more comfortable to sleep in. The only complaint I have though was that the position of the headphone jack was hardly intuitive and it took me a while to find it. Otoh, it also meant that you do not have a cable stringing across to the seat in front of you if the person next to you wants to get out.

Some other observations
- Meal service is Y more than J (not surprisingly), but you get more options (3 instead of 2) and I think the selection is better (in terms of what you can get). BtC is a nice fallback, if you don't want to chance whatever is being served on the plane though.
- The table is a little higher than Y and more easier to eat or work off.
- Because there are less seats in the cabin, overhead bin space is not a problem.
- There was an even mix of families and business travellers in the cabin.
- The 77W had the newer IFE system (with touchscreen, and the PSP like controller), while the return leg on the A380 had the older IFE system (with the phone like controller). I had assumed that with the refitting of the cabin, they would upgrade all the IFE. Guess not.
- Although sold as one of the features, there really isn't much of a priority checkin nor boarding. In essence, you are treated like a *G passenger. So if you have *G, nothing to get excited about.
- The bottled water waiting on the plane is a nice touch.
- The amenities bag has the 'Lengths we go to' pictures printed on it. It also has buttons that will allow you to clip them together (daisy chaining them together). Not sure why you would want to do that, but you can. Apparently, there are three different designs but I got the same for both flights

Overall, would I pay for the difference? It's certainly nicer than flying in Y so for short haul, I guess it would depend on the price difference. For longer hauls, I think the extra money is worth it for the additional incline and legroom, especially if you cannot and don't want to stump up to J. The rest is more of a 'good to have'.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
I recently flew SQ Premium Economy from Singapore to London on SQ322. It was an excellent flight.

Here are some pictures of the SQ Premium Economy cabin on the A380, as well as the meals served.

Premium Economy Cabin...

Seating...

Seat fully reclined...

Amenity kit...

Dinner tray – 3 choices of mains...

Breakfast tray – 3 breakfast choices...

IFE – A very large and vivid screen...

Overall I felt that SQ Premium Economy was a definite improvement over regular SQ economy (Which is already an excellent Y product).

The seat / hard product compares favourably with other carriers such as BA or LH. On the other hand it is not streets ahead of the competition either.

Catering is fairly close to regular SQ Y, although you have more meal choices and a "book the cook" option.

SQ's cabin service is excellent, and passengers also get a fast track pass to clear immigration at Heathrow.

I would not hesitate to choose SQ premium over regular economy on long haul flights if the price was right.

For those interested in a more detailed write-up on the flight, this can be found in this Trip Report (Link clicks through to sqtalk.com).

Cheers!

Last edited by sqyf; Oct 15, 2015 at 8:02 am
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:50 am

I had my flights on PE on a 777-300ER from SIN-LHN and from LHN-SIN

Personally I think the legroom is better than Y. Food wise, better to book the chef menu to have something different from Y

Best thing is, unlimited champagne

I still love 777-300ER J
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:52 am

the only think I hate is the new entertainment system, I think it's running on Android, and it sucks to the max!

Every single time you end a show and the system has to reboot! Damn it!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by babyk

Every single time you end a show and the system has to reboot! Damn it!
You should have asked them to reset it for you. That's not how the system works.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by fimo
You should have asked them to reset it for you. That's not how the system works.
The first segment, I asked them to reset as the system hang and no response at all

The second segment, same thing, different plane, the new entertainment system on Boeing is really having a lot of bugs!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
oh that really sucks!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by babyk
the only think I hate is the new entertainment system, I think it's running on Android, and it sucks to the max!

Every single time you end a show and the system has to reboot! ..
That really does sound like my Andorid phone !
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: SQ Gold, BA Bronze,GA Silver
Just flown on PE from SIN to MUC and got it as an Op-Up at the gate. It is better than Y, especially on that red-eye flight to Europe when you got to straight away attend meetings after arrival.

One of the small benefits in PE is getting your meal choice as you do get served first compared to Y and can also get to sleep alot faster as well as they clear it all up pretty quickly as well.

Not much difference in feeling to the CX or ANA PE which I have flown recently as well although I think ANA's service in PE feels the more differentiated product rather than the others.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Has any of you flown both ScootBiz and SQ's PY? Just wondering how the two products stack up (since ScootBiz really is a PY product rather than actual Biz).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
Has any of you flown both ScootBiz and SQ's PY? Just wondering how the two products stack up (since ScootBiz really is a PY product rather than actual Biz).
I did but found it hard to compare as I use Scoot for 2-5 hours flights. Scoot Biz gives you only one alcoholic drink, typical Singapore LCC foot (not as bad as MI, I guess but nearly there), no proper IFE of any sorts but is of very similar seat proportions.

So I'd take SQ PE any day over the Scoot product. But the latter is still excellent value for redeyes within Asia.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:57 am

I noticed that there is no cheese and crackers for dinner meal for such a long flight.
Have they got rid of cheese in economy class?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by BrianUA800
I noticed that there is no cheese and crackers for dinner meal for such a long flight.
Which long flight?

But I haven't noticed cheese indeed ...
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by BrianUA800
On a recent SQ Economy flight CDG-SIN, which is comparable in duration (About 12 hours) they did have cheese and crackers in Y.

This was the Y lunch on SQ for CDG-SIN on the A380 earlier this month

For the SIN-LHR flight, I'm not sure whether they had this or not, but sometimes the tray for the Asian meals is different from the tray for Western meals -- not just the main is different, so the Western tray could have come with cheese and crackers. On the other hand, SIN-LHR had 3 choices of main course in Y for supper, whereas CDG-SIN Y had only 2 choices for lunch, so there appear to be differences in catering for each sector.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Question for you guys:

Cost aside, if travelling with a partner would you prefer a block of 3 seats with the middle seat vacant or sit next to each other in PY? Usually able to get the middle seat blocked when flying Y.

I haven't had a full flight in Y since Xmas last year and that was to KUL, flight was oversold and I got bumped into J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.