Wiki Posts
Search

No surname/last name in passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:41 am
Original Poster

No surname/last name in passport

Hi All,
New member here, created thread to ask this specific question.
My dad's passport has an error wherein his last name is blank and his full name is spelled out in his first name.
Last year when he applied for his US visa and tickets his first name was put as FNU and full name provided in last name in both visa and ticket.
This year he has applied for Australia Tourist Visa and his visa got approved but it doesn't provide a split up of his name unlike US Tourist visa and provides the grant on his full name.
When booking his tickets on Singapore airline today I noticed that the last name is mandatory and First name is not. Should I go ahead and follow the US process of declaring first name as FNU and put his full name under Last Name?

I haven't yet talked to the call center which wasn't open today but not sure how much info they will be able to provide.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
If his name can be split then split it. For example his name is AB then put A as first name and B as last name. Otherwise either duplicate it or put "-".

I never try to put "-" though. But puting same name as first name and last name is very common recommendation.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would say that a passenger or person booking travel for a passenger may not want to enter "FNU" in any of the name fields for the ticketed passenger's name. I only say that because I've seen ticketed names with "FNU" result in more problems than passengers having their first and/or last names repeated in the first and/or last name fields. Of course anyone with a clue and informed that FNU is for "field not used" or something like that should be able to allow the passenger to proceed as normal, but as with many things YMMV from time to time.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your response guys, so if i understand it correctly should just repeat his full name in both first name and last name?
I dont think splitting will work as his passport doesnt show anything in the surname.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by joshmachine
Thanks for your response guys, so if i understand it correctly should just repeat his full name in both first name and last name?
I dont think splitting will work as his passport doesnt show anything in the surname.
That's the safest bet. If he is travelling around SE Asia is quite well understood as many Indonesian only goes with one name.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Ok, great thanks again.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:09 am
Original Poster

In case anyones interested in future, i have been advised by singapore airlines to put the full name in the last name and leave the first name empty
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
? May I ask the obvious?
Why doesn't your dad go get a new passport? If he's a Singaporean or a citizen of a country with an embassy there, should be easy peasy, no?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by adventuroustraveller
? May I ask the obvious?
Why doesn't your dad go get a new passport? If he's a Singaporean or a citizen of a country with an embassy there, should be easy peasy, no?
Perhaps the cost of the new passport? On the other hand, if I was issued such passport, I'd not accept it in the first instance and insisted on new one, pronto!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
If it's a mistake, the passport office should provide a new one for free
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

It is a mistake from the passport office. Having said that it is a tedious process to get one corrected back in India. Especially because he is a senior citizen and not willing to spend time travelling hours together and then waiting in long queues to get this passport corrected. Also there will be additional issues in case he gets a new passport/number as he already has 2 visa's associated with the old one.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by adventuroustraveller
? May I ask the obvious?
It is obviously not that simple ! To change the name in the passport, you need to change the name in all the submitted documents as well, such as the name in your birth certificate, your ID and other documents needed. Because to issue passport need all that supporting documents. And btw, to change the name in your birth certificate, you need a seperate official letter from the authority. And by doing that also means you need to change all your important accounts such as bank accounts and others, since your name in your ID is already different. So, for the ones with only one name in their birth certificate, this is always the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.