Wiki Posts
Search

PPS worthwhile for a J-only flyer?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum

I primarily fly CX, but have been flying SQ enough recently that PPS looks easily achievable with a bit of planning (i.e PPS value sitting at S$20k).

I only fly SQ regionally in J. Does PPS add anything to someone with that travel pattern. What about if I shift some longhaul from CX to SQ?

When I had PPS in the early 2000s, I think I got F lounge access when flying J, but I think that benefit has disappeared? A quick look at the benefits doesn't suggest much else I would care about. Any soft / unpublished benefits worth considering?

Many thanks in advance. Sorry if it has been asked many times before.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Not much. Better priority in irrops and waitlists.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:59 am

I personally won't go out of the way to fly SQ just to get PPS. There really isn't a noticeable difference if you are a regular J flyer.

If you achieve it as a by-the-way arrangement, treat as a bonus.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you are accruing the miles from your SQ flights to KF and want to redeem for premium cabin then being PPS could offer better award seat availability or at least more pull in getting waitlists for redemptions cleared. YMMV.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:41 pm

No difference really if you fly only J.
IMHO, better waitlist priority/award priority is hard to measure. Particulary on the award availabilty I cant confirm that it is any easier to get awards cleared from the waitlist if you are PPS.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
thanks all
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I primarily fly CX, but have been flying SQ enough recently that PPS looks easily achievable with a bit of planning (i.e PPS value sitting at S$20k).

I only fly SQ regionally in J. Does PPS add anything to someone with that travel pattern. What about if I shift some longhaul from CX to SQ?

When I had PPS in the early 2000s, I think I got F lounge access when flying J, but I think that benefit has disappeared? A quick look at the benefits doesn't suggest much else I would care about. Any soft / unpublished benefits worth considering?

You have to remember that there are way too many PPS (base) members out there. The only god like treatment one gets is if you are a Solitaire PPS member. Other than that, it's not really worth it.

I much prefer the god like treatment I get on CX as Diamond Marco Polo Club member - nicer lounges at HKG (The Pier FCL), upgrades and other priority benefits.

All in all, don't waste your time with SQ PPS Club. It's nothing special.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
The only god like treatment one gets is if you are a Solitaire PPS member.
lol what? Guess it must not take much for you to feel like a God.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
PPS is inferior to CX Gold / DM as you can't even get guaranteed economy / business class seat unless its full fare (which hardly anyone does anymore).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Is this at the cost of CX status- If not, then why not give PPS a shot for a year? It's not that you'd have to rehash travel completely for that.

That said, adding on to Guy Betsy's point, while SQ does work waitlists well in general, if confirmed award seats are important for planning in time, they are nowhere even close in 'opening up' award inventory the way CX does (given my great experiences with CX MPC of late & having been frustrated with SQ in the past, & seeing friends' current frustration in getting anything on the moderate to popular routes). For CX flights, I now don't even bother looking up award availability- just how good/bad revenue ticket sales have been. Likely to change though, with the anticipated program changes.

I once went on a 380 regional route in a ~half full Suites cabin , while my PPS friend slummed it out in Y, as his waitlist (for an outright redemption) didn't clear.

Oh and I (a discount J flier most of the times, PE/Y the remaining times) have been in CX F way more times, than my PPS friends putting in ~100k p.a. to SQ have been on SQ (zilch to none), so if you value the occasional op-up/milestone/birthday/anniversary upgrade....(though SQ seems be doing birthdays now).

On lounges, I wouldn't be surprised if CX enhanced away some access a la SQ, but till that point, being able to get into any CX biz lounge, irrespective of the carrier flown, is great!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction

PPS would not be worth much on regional flying. I would not advise you to shift longhaul flying from CX to SQ unless there is an aspirational need to accumulate miles on SQ.

You would always be better to bank on CX for banking your long haul if you travel the most with them.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I see PPS as being more worthwhile for those who regularly travel in economy (eg. SIN based, travel Y for short haul, but J for long haul). Of little benefit if you only fly in the J cabin anyway (I think the main benefitin J is that PPS get first meal choice ...... ).

The other benefit is only for a select niche of travellers who want to:
1) pursue status on a non-star alliance program (the only two that come to mind in this category are two of the Virgin programs - VA Velocity & VS Flying Club) yet get star alliance gold status.
2) achieve Star Gold in another program but still have status with SQ - for those times they fly SilkAir in Y class
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
The only god like treatment one gets is if you are a Solitaire PPS member.
No god like treatment for this solitaire.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
(I think the main benefitin J is that PPS get first meal choice ...... ).
No, not in J, neither on Longhaul or Shorthauls.

But in Y, but only on Longhauls (beyond 8 hours) and then only if the crew doesnt forget about it. Not to 100% consistent.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No god like treatment for this solitaire.
But at least a better treatment as the rest of the pack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.