Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Layover in Changhi with switch from Suites Class to Air Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi

I'll be transiting through Changhi burning some miles in Suites Class. I've taken advantage of a layover so returning from Tokyo to London with a stop in Singapore. I'm breaking my SQ flight to spend a few days in Langkawi however my flight gets me into Changhi at 3am (SQ) and my flight to Langkawi with Air Asia isn't until 11am.

What are my options for sleeping in the airport? It looks like I'll have to pass through immigration and end up airside until check-in opens for the Langkawi flight, is that right? Ideally I'd like to be able to use a nap suite in the transit hotel, can I do this? If not can anyone help with options for getting some shut eye

Sadly, lost all Star Alliance Gold and UA Platinum Status this year so have no clout with lounges accept access to Lounge Club offered by Amex.

Really I'm just trying to confirm whether or not I will be able to pick up my bags and stay airside and get a nap suite or if I'll kicked out until check-in opens for the budget travel leg

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by PaulieV; Apr 28, 2015 at 7:57 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Baggage is post immigration (pre customs), so you'd be landside. Not sure if you can get your Air Asia bp that early on. In case you can- you could go back airside and to the transit hotel.

Else, there's http://www.thehaven.com.sg and the The Crown Plaza. It 'might' be possible to go to the transit hotel and just clear immigration/take bags a few hours after arrival..

BTW, it's Changi.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Suites to Air Asia? That's a letdown! LOL

The Transit Hotel will definitely work. You can book it in hourly blocks for as long as you like. I've used it several times for transfers like the one you are describing.

The Crowne Plaza is a really nice hotel though and part of the airport complex (you walk to it). Even though it means leaving/reentering Singapore, this is really no big deal at Changi...the world's best and most efficient airport. A bit more expensive than the Transit Hotel....but a hell of lot nicer.

Last edited by RBH58; Apr 28, 2015 at 7:03 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Air Asia check typically only opens close to 6am. So once you clear immigration and pick up your bag you'll have a 2+ hour gap landside before you can check in and pick up your AA boarding pass to go back airside.

If you're comfortable with leaving your bags at the baggage area for a while, just don't clear immigration, go straight to the transit hotel for a nap and shower then only leave at ~9am.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
If you're comfortable with leaving your bags at the baggage area for a while, just don't clear immigration, go straight to the transit hotel for a nap and shower then only leave at ~9am.
This. Short of being stolen, the bags will be at the SQ Lost Baggage office - just allow some extra time to retrieve it.

Disembark, go straight to transit hotel, sleep, then go through immigration and go to the Lost Baggage office, then go to check in for your AK flight.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Wow going to be an interesting change from Suites to Air Asia!
Old May 6, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
Wow going to be an interesting change from Suites to Air Asia!
Old May 12, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Really appreciate your advice, thank you very much.

It's going to be an interesting switch between the two carriers but having spent four years flying domestic on legacy US carriers when I lived in the States, being prodded, snarled at and abused (UA I'm talking about you!) I'm not too concerned

Thanks again chaps

Last edited by PaulieV; May 18, 2015 at 4:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.