Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Someone posted this updated link for Star Alliance Map in another thread, good for planning award flights I guess.

http://starmap.fltmaps.com/en
Print Wikipost

Planning a flight using KF Miles.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Question Planning a flight using KF Miles.

Any recommended reading material for a noob who's trying to redeem for flights?

I have never done a redemption before. There seems to be lots of routing rules one has to follow. I'm assuming one would use the ANA *A Award finder tool to see availability?

Sorry, total noob here.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Are you trying to redeem on an alliance partner and not SQ? Not the best use of miles usually compared to SQ saver awards...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Any recommended reading material for a noob who's trying to redeem for flights?

I have never done a redemption before. There seems to be lots of routing rules one has to follow. I'm assuming one would use the ANA *A Award finder tool to see availability?

Sorry, total noob here.
If you're redeeming KrisFlyer miles, I suggest to redeem them on SQ metal to take advantage of the extra 15% off when done online.

Where are you going?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:35 pm

If redeeming KF for SQ, just do a search on SQ.com which is pretty straightforward. It gives 15% online booking discount and better availability. Only snag is sometimes you don't find availability for flights with same aircraft transit online (eg. SIN-SFO) but when you break them into separate segments (eg. SIN-HKG followed by HKG-SFO) you can see availability. If so, don't book online but call KF to book, and insist that they honour the 15% mileage discount.

If redeeming KF for *A, yes use the ANA tool. Simplest is to search by flight segment. No back tracking is allowed normally.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply guys, really appreciate it.

My intention is to fly to HIJ and KIX during the Chinese New Year period in 2015. I'm playing around the dates of Feb 13-22.

Unfortunately SQ metal only flies to KIX so was thinking how should I go about this. I can either fly *A partners and try to find Biz Saver availability and somehow fly SIN-HIJ-KIX-SIN OR transfer SPG points to Aeroplan and redeem SIN-HIJ KIX-SIN (15k Aeroplan miles each way) and use KF Miles to connection HIJ-KIX on a domestic flight using Economy saver (12.5k miles one way).

Let me try playing around with the ANA Tool for segment by segment search in the meantime.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Try out the SQ Mobile app, it'll give you a window of 3+/- days.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Thanks for the reply guys, really appreciate it.

My intention is to fly to HIJ and KIX during the Chinese New Year period in 2015. I'm playing around the dates of Feb 13-22.

Unfortunately SQ metal only flies to KIX so was thinking how should I go about this. I can either fly *A partners and try to find Biz Saver availability and somehow fly SIN-HIJ-KIX-SIN OR transfer SPG points to Aeroplan and redeem SIN-HIJ KIX-SIN (15k Aeroplan miles each way) and use KF Miles to connection HIJ-KIX on a domestic flight using Economy saver (12.5k miles one way).

Let me try playing around with the ANA Tool for segment by segment search in the meantime.
Last time I booked (Jan, 2014) Aeroplan did not charge fuel surcharges on SQ bookings, so that's another consideration
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Roger that.

Currently using ANA tool to search the international segments and UA tool to search for domestic ANA segments. Or I guess domestic award segments can use ANA tool as well?

Last edited by lcpteck; Oct 3, 2014 at 1:27 am
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:18 am

How about trying to replicate what bro vsepr did? But replace NRT with KIX.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...80k-miles.html
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluepanda
How about trying to replicate what bro vsepr did? But replace NRT with KIX.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...80k-miles.html
Yeah, I did try to replicate it but there seems to be no availability for ICN-HIJ or KIX the entire week. Will look through again every few days just to check for availability.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Would these routes be valid?

SIN-TPE-PEK-DLC-HIJ-KIX-HND-CGK-SIN

SIN-TPE-PEK-DLC-HIJ-KIX-SIN

No backtracking on either of them right?

Last edited by lcpteck; Oct 6, 2014 at 9:51 am
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Just got a call back earlier from SQ call center. They couldn't find J availability for CA153 PEK-DLC-HIJ segments for both saver and standard awards. They did check both segments individually as well and couldn't find any. Ironically I do see availability when using the United or ANA website. My guess is CA didn't release the Award to SQ? Or should I ask them to check again?

The only other way to go HIJ is via ICN but no awards available for all classes.

Hmm, have to plan again.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Spoken to another Agent and after giving her my routing, she mentions this would be considered a RTW ticket.... and I'll need to check with Travel Agency to issue this ticket...

Think I'll walk in to SQ Ticketing office @ Ion Orchard tomorrow and check on this...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Haha, RTW. Hilarious. So when do you cross Pacific and Atlantic in that routing? Some agents really are brainless. What a joke, someone like that should be relieved from the role immediately and sent back to 5th grade Geography class.

Hang up and call again. Hope someone with half a brain answers.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Tried my luck again with the call center.

No award availability for PEK-DLC-HIJ even if checked separately. Still see availability separately on UA and NH website though.

Guess I'll walk in to Ion Orchard later today.

Last edited by lcpteck; Oct 12, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.