Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIA plane in near miss over Houston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
SIA plane in near miss over Houston

Source: CNA

A Singapore Airlines (SIA) plane leaving Houston flew too close to another aircraft on Friday, resulting in a near collision.

The SIA pilot did not level off when he reached 4,000 feet as required, resulting in the aircraft being less than 2,000 feet away from a Delta Air Lines plane that was preparing to land in Houston, NBC said.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
Collision seem to be a understatement. If there is indeed contact between the two metals, we might be looking into a tragedy with a possible loss of more than 400+ lives.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by hclee01
The SIA pilot did not level off when he reached 4,000 feet as required.
What does this mean? That the plane continued to climb to higher levels without any clearance whatsoever?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by hclee01
Source: CNA

A Singapore Airlines (SIA) plane leaving Houston flew too close to another aircraft on Friday, resulting in a near collision.

The SIA pilot did not level off when he reached 4,000 feet as required, resulting in the aircraft being less than 2,000 feet away from a Delta Air Lines plane that was preparing to land in Houston, NBC said.
Does anyone know the relative speed between the two aircraft?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by aster
What does this mean? That the plane continued to climb to higher levels without any clearance whatsoever?
what else could it mean? he was cleared to 4000 feet after departure but apparently he just kept climbing. Another case of pilot error for non-western airlines.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
what else could it mean? he was cleared to 4000 feet after departure but apparently he just kept climbing. Another case of pilot error for non-western airlines.
right, because western airlines have never had pilot error...
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by aster
The departure procedure says: "Maintain 4000 or assigned by ATC. Expect filed altitude 10 minutes after departure."

Most, if not all, departure procedures out of IAH have an initial altitude restriction of 4,000'. Thus, they can't climb above 4,000' until ATC gives them their next altitude restriction.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Two airplanes narrowly averted a midair crash near the Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston this week in what was the second such incident in as many months.

A Singapore Airlines jumbo 777 flew within 200 feet vertically and about a half-mile horizontally - about eight football fields - of a Delta Air Lines A320 just before 7pm on Thursday.

Air traffic controllers caught the error and corrected the airplanes courses before they got any closer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz36ix6sr9n
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
Air traffic controllers caught the error and corrected the airplanes courses before they got any closer.
That actually sounds like the scariest bit. Getting conflicting directions from ATC and TCAS is one of the known dangerous situations that has caused accidents in the past.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Wow it seems like whenever I fly out of Houston, that same day they would have a near miss...........

Two months in a row
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: TK Elite
This sounds more like a near hit than a near miss to me! I mean if the planes actually missed each other why do we call it a near miss???
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Races and national origins of the pilots are OT. Please be discreet.

cxfan1960
SQ Mod
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Apparently ATC cleared for FL5000ft and told to hold at that FL. Plane continued to climb beyond FL5000ft and at FL5800ft was told to return to FL5000ft. The DL plane was on approach at FL6000ft.

Either way with the little we know I would be careful to make any accusations or jump to conclusions. Media often reports such things inaccurately so I would not rely on what is described there. Investigation will happen and then it will become clear.

BTW, near misses only involving US airlines in US airspace are not unheard off either and actually happen all over the world involving all kinds of carriers. This has nothing to do with non-Western airlines.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
[QUOTE=demue;23154644]Apparently ATC cleared for FL5000ft and told to hold at that FL. Plane continued to climb beyond FL5000ft and at FL5800ft was told to return to FL5000ft. The DL plane was on approach at FL6000ft.
[QUOTE]

As an aside, you don't have flight levels of FL5000ft. You have altitudes of 5000 feet. Flight levels are used above the transition altitude, described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_level
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: DL GM
I suppose I could google to find out more information, but is NextGen already active in Houston? I know that the Houston metroplex was amongst the first few areas that were going to get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.