Search

Is this a good use of SQ points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Is this a good use of SQ points?

G'day all,

SQ is not my main airline but I've managed to accumulate about 100K KF points through some flights and AmEx Membership Rewards. Some of them will disappear in 1.5 years' time, so I've been thinking of using them for an upcoming SYD-PEK-SYD trip on SA partner AirChina.

The flight sells for AUD 1120, I can redeem a ticket for 90K miles + AUD 480 in taxes, which values each miles at 0.71c.

Do you think this a fair redemption value based on what you've seen for KF redemptions on SQ or other SA partners, or is it a complete ripoff?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:45 am

It ultimately comes down to personal preferences, but I would personally use it for a one-way F/R from PEK to SYD or v.v. and fly Suites. It's 78625 miles per one-way.

Or, if you're willing to find separate flights for HKG-PEK, you can also get round-trip SYD-HKG r/t on SQ in J for less than 100k miles.

To me (and everyone is different of course) 90k miles for AUD 700 value is crazy. If you redeemed 90k for Suites LHR-SIN one-way, it will be more like AUD 7000 value (granted, you may not be willing to pay AUD 7000 anyway, but the point still remains - you can get a lot more value for the same 90k miles).

For me, spending miles are all about redeeming tickets that I would never pay cash for, which means F or J only. For Y, the difference is usually so marginal that I might as well pay the cash fare and earn the miles.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: QF Gold, EK Gold, SQ PPS, IHG AMB, Hilton DM
No

Originally Posted by gypsyinabigtown
so I've been thinking of using them for an upcoming SYD-PEK-SYD trip on SA partner AirChina
That's a terrible idea. It's generally a poor value redeeming for an Economy class ticket on SQ, but even worse value redeeming it on a CA flight!

Suggest you redeem it on SQ flights or use it for upgrades to Business class on a paid SQ ticket.

K
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:38 pm

I did a one-way Suites redemption for HKG-SIN-SYD for 63,750 miles each way, with about $250 USD in taxes. IMO one of the best values on that redemption chart. In your case, SYD-SIN-PEK is worth it for the experience at least one-way (I wonder how much a one-way return is) or a round-trip J ticket is pretty close.

I'd agree it seems crazy to burn KF miles on such awards when SQ F or J awards are available.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Thanks all to replies. I now understand better that the best use of KF points is with SQ Saver Awards indeed.

The trouble is, on the day I need to fly (3 months out from now) SQ has no Saver award available on SYD-SIN F or J class, only the J class is available for a non-A380 plane on Standard awards, which is 90K for SYD-SIN one-way.

I guess the best value is hard-to-get sometimes with only a very limited availability released at a time.

Also, my purpose of getting to PEK was to get to WUH later (SIN-WUH flights have absolutely atrocious timing for my schedule) so I am hesitant to add to many additional legs and make it SYD-SIN-HKG-WUH.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
A lot of availability tends to open up ~2 weeks out from flying -- obviously this requires some flexibility on your part, as there may be no availability on those particular flights, ever.

I recently managed to get F awards for 2 people, ~2 weeks out IAH-DME-SIN-MLE (last leg in J as it is only 2-class, rest F), and then F in CMB-SIN-HKG-SFO (first leg in J as it is only 2-class, rest F).

Within 2 weeks, there was basically availability on pretty much every day for 2 saver F, but there was obviously no way to know that for certain 4 months out.

Personally, I think using the points for 0.7 cents per mile is a HORRIBLE redemption, and would just pay cash for that flight in coach if you absolutely must be on those flights, and use the points for either an upgrade to J if it becomes available, or for another J or F award when you have flexibility.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by KFly
That's a terrible idea. It's generally a poor value redeeming for an Economy class ticket on SQ, but even worse value redeeming it on a CA flight!

Suggest you redeem it on SQ flights or use it for upgrades to Business class on a paid SQ ticket.

K
Exactly, for even after all the improvements CA has made, it is still a joke of an airline next to SQ.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
SQ availability for redemption on SQ J/F is on saver awards is much better than with partners plus you can wait list saver award options - I will echo the advice given so far - stick to redeeming on SQ premium cabins with Krisflyer miles.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by avm2806
SQ availability for redemption on SQ J/F is on saver awards is much better than with partners plus you can wait list saver award options - I will echo the advice given so far - stick to redeeming on SQ premium cabins with Krisflyer miles.
Yes, stick to SQ premium cabin redemptions or upgrades - sometimes the upgrades are better value as you also earn miles on the commercial coach ticket
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:03 am

The difference in miles between upgrade and redemption is so minimal, though. Unless someone else is paying for the underlying ticket (J or F), or you need to requalify for status, it generally isn't worth it.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by avm2806
Totally agree. Business class to the US with partner airlines is more expensive than on SQ Suites.

Only SQ availability in J and F is rather patchy. Generally waitlisting required for longhauls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.