FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Last-minute upgrades on SQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1557478-last-minute-upgrades-sq.html)

ramsfan Mar 4, 2014 3:47 pm

Last-minute upgrades on SQ

Can you purchase last minute upgrades on Singapore Airlines. You can with Air Canada. I'm flying Sydney to Singapore later this week and wondering about this. Also what is the cost.

Wan1dap Mar 4, 2014 4:05 pm

Of course! If the next class is available, you'll pay the full difference in ticket prices.

UAPremExecflyer Mar 4, 2014 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ramsfan (Post 22462281)
Can you purchase last minute upgrades on Singapore Airlines. You can with Air Canada. I'm flying Sydney to Singapore later this week and wondering about this. Also what is the cost.

As Wan1dap notes, expect to pay $$$.
SQ expects you to pay full freight for its premium cabins.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...olci-gate.html

ramsfan Mar 4, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks for the quick replies, but wow that's terrible. On Air Canada we complain that the last-minute upgrade cost too much but it's way less than the fare difference. Similarly on other Star alliance airlines such as Ethiopian. One always complains about one's own airline until you find out things aren't necessarily greener in faraway pastures. Next time I will be more careful and make sure I book SQ flights that are upgradable with star alliance upgrades so I can use air canada AEROPLAN points. I did that for my return from Singapore to Sydney, but not on the journey going out. Oh well flying economy will build character. At least I have a premium seat.

Guy Betsy Mar 4, 2014 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by ramsfan (Post 22464390)
Thanks for the quick replies, but wow that's terrible. On Air Canada we complain that the last-minute upgrade cost too much but it's way less than the fare difference. Similarly on other Star alliance airlines such as Ethiopian. One always complains about one's own airline until you find out things aren't necessarily greener in faraway pastures. Next time I will be more careful and make sure I book SQ flights that are upgradable with star alliance upgrades so I can use air canada AEROPLAN points. I did that for my return from Singapore to Sydney, but not on the journey going out. Oh well flying economy will build character. At least I have a premium seat.

That's how profitable airlines work. People who book in advance don't want to sit next to someone who paid half of what they paid. SQ does not believe in last minute upgrades at airports. Basically if you want to sit in Business Class, you pay for it - in full.

You cannot upgrade on SQ using Aeroplan points on flights operated by 77W, A380 aircrafts. Just FYI.

cmdsea Mar 5, 2014 4:48 pm

Pay the extra for a preferred seat in Y to get yourself some legroom and you may just be pleasantly surprised how the AVOD, cabin service, food and wine quality in SQ economy compares to Air Canada business anyway... :D

fly747first Mar 8, 2014 2:23 am

Originally Posted by ramsfan (Post 22464390)

There are two major issues with your statement: (1) Air Canada is not a 5-star airline and (2) Air Canada is not as profitable as Singapore Airlines. So you actually expect SQ to adopt Revenue Management practices of less prosperous carriers like Air Canada?

weero Mar 11, 2014 10:38 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 22469825)
Pay the extra for a preferred seat in Y to get yourself some legroom and you may just be pleasantly surprised how the AVOD, cabin service, food and wine quality in SQ economy compares to Air Canada business anyway... :D

No. Of course it is not :roll eyes: .

But there is a lot more reasons to escape from Y to C on AC than there is on SQ. So I'd save the cash ....

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 22485222)
There are two major issues with your statement: (1) Air Canada is not a 5-star airline and (2) Air Canada is not as profitable as Singapore Airlines. So you actually expect SQ to adopt Revenue Management practices of less prosperous carriers like Air Canada?

Ahh these so called economic realities ... didn't we have to listen to what a stronghold QF has on markets and customers until late 2013?

But I agree any carrier with a coach like AC should be ineligible for 4 stars ....