Last-minute upgrades on SQ

Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Last-minute upgrades on SQ

Can you purchase last minute upgrades on Singapore Airlines. You can with Air Canada. I'm flying Sydney to Singapore later this week and wondering about this. Also what is the cost.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Of course! If the next class is available, you'll pay the full difference in ticket prices.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ramsfan
Can you purchase last minute upgrades on Singapore Airlines. You can with Air Canada. I'm flying Sydney to Singapore later this week and wondering about this. Also what is the cost.
As Wan1dap notes, expect to pay $$$.
SQ expects you to pay full freight for its premium cabins.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...olci-gate.html
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the quick replies, but wow that's terrible. On Air Canada we complain that the last-minute upgrade cost too much but it's way less than the fare difference. Similarly on other Star alliance airlines such as Ethiopian. One always complains about one's own airline until you find out things aren't necessarily greener in faraway pastures. Next time I will be more careful and make sure I book SQ flights that are upgradable with star alliance upgrades so I can use air canada AEROPLAN points. I did that for my return from Singapore to Sydney, but not on the journey going out. Oh well flying economy will build character. At least I have a premium seat.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Thanks for the quick replies, but wow that's terrible. On Air Canada we complain that the last-minute upgrade cost too much but it's way less than the fare difference. Similarly on other Star alliance airlines such as Ethiopian. One always complains about one's own airline until you find out things aren't necessarily greener in faraway pastures. Next time I will be more careful and make sure I book SQ flights that are upgradable with star alliance upgrades so I can use air canada AEROPLAN points. I did that for my return from Singapore to Sydney, but not on the journey going out. Oh well flying economy will build character. At least I have a premium seat.
That's how profitable airlines work. People who book in advance don't want to sit next to someone who paid half of what they paid. SQ does not believe in last minute upgrades at airports. Basically if you want to sit in Business Class, you pay for it - in full.

You cannot upgrade on SQ using Aeroplan points on flights operated by 77W, A380 aircrafts. Just FYI.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Pay the extra for a preferred seat in Y to get yourself some legroom and you may just be pleasantly surprised how the AVOD, cabin service, food and wine quality in SQ economy compares to Air Canada business anyway...
Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
There are two major issues with your statement: (1) Air Canada is not a 5-star airline and (2) Air Canada is not as profitable as Singapore Airlines. So you actually expect SQ to adopt Revenue Management practices of less prosperous carriers like Air Canada?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by cmdsea
Pay the extra for a preferred seat in Y to get yourself some legroom and you may just be pleasantly surprised how the AVOD, cabin service, food and wine quality in SQ economy compares to Air Canada business anyway...
No. Of course it is not :roll eyes: .

But there is a lot more reasons to escape from Y to C on AC than there is on SQ. So I'd save the cash ....
Originally Posted by fly747first
There are two major issues with your statement: (1) Air Canada is not a 5-star airline and (2) Air Canada is not as profitable as Singapore Airlines. So you actually expect SQ to adopt Revenue Management practices of less prosperous carriers like Air Canada?
Ahh these so called economic realities ... didn't we have to listen to what a stronghold QF has on markets and customers until late 2013?

But I agree any carrier with a coach like AC should be ineligible for 4 stars ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.