Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth flying SQ from Chicago to India?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 8:57 am

Note that the SIN-HYD sectors are operated by Silkair (MI) SQs Regional arm. They are operating Narrowbodies A319 and A320. They are Full-Service but dont have AVOD (Personal IFE).

I personally would also choose the shortest possible flight to get there, condsidering you are travelling with a toddler. It could be quite stressful for all of you taking the long route via the Westcost.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:47 pm

I would much rather fly a one-stop journey such as QR ORD-DOH-HYD or EY ORD-AUH-HYD, which should both be a good experience in Y. BA World Traveller Plus would be also good with only one transit. CX also do ORD-HKG-HYD but I believe the overall journey will be longer.

It seems absolutely incomprehensible to fly all that way around with a toddler, regardless of the difference in product. Especially if we're talking about the minute differences between Y products.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Especially if we're talking about the minute differences between Y products.
Compared to BA the whole Y service is much better with SQ.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Compared to BA the whole Y service is much better with SQ.
According to ITA, for example out 21/06 and back 28/06, the shortest journey time from ORD to HYD on SQ is 47h 20m on the way to HYD with 3 transfers, and 53h 35m on the way back again with 3 transfers.

If you flew QR, the journey time would be 19h 30m on the way there, and 21h 05m on the way back, with only a short-ish stop in DOH.

Even if the discussion was something like comparing SQ C and UA C, I would struggle to justify such a huge difference in the overall journey time, especially with a toddler. While SQ does indeed have better Y product, it's still in the context of a cramped Y seat amongst hundreds of people - the shorter the flight, the better. And I genuinely believe it would be crazy to drag a toddler along two full days' worth (or more) of travelling when the journey time can be literally less than half on an airline that is fundamentally similar in quality such as QR.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by stargold
According to ITA, for example out 21/06 and back 28/06, the shortest journey time from ORD to HYD on SQ is 47h 20m on the way to HYD with 3 transfers, and 53h 35m on the way back again with 3 transfers.

If you flew QR, the journey time would be 19h 30m on the way there, and 21h 05m on the way back, with only a short-ish stop in DOH.

Even if the discussion was something like comparing SQ C and UA C, I would struggle to justify such a huge difference in the overall journey time, especially with a toddler. While SQ does indeed have better Y product, it's still in the context of a cramped Y seat amongst hundreds of people - the shorter the flight, the better. And I genuinely believe it would be crazy to drag a toddler along two full days' worth (or more) of travelling when the journey time can be literally less than half on an airline that is fundamentally similar in quality such as QR.
I must say i didn't think the gap was so big!
Old May 20, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Thanks for the advice everyone, as tempting as it is to try out SQ, logic dictates that I take QR, especially with a toddler. Maybe when she is a little bit older I can try out for SQ, but right now, I am leaning towards QR.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:04 pm

I wouldn't fly SQ even if its hell lot cheaper. The routing is lot more complex, not to mention longer and traveling with a kid with such routing is honestly, insanity. I'm a parent of 1 who do fly quite a fair bit with my boy, and I try to fly direct flights as much as possible....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.