Search

SQ Suites worth the extra points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat

Hi all,

I am booking an award ticket between SIN and CDG. My current options are Business with 68k points and Suites with 91k points. I know their business class seats and service is amazing and would be sufficient for me. The question is whether the Suites class is worth the extra 23k points? It will be the two of us so it'll be an extra 46k points. Would like to hear from people who have sat both the business and suites class on the A380.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold

It's the only time u can get a double bed in a suite, grab it while it lasts. If departing from sin, don't forget to eat at the TPR!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Travelling alone I wouldn't bother because biz is soooo good that you don't actually need to head to first unless you are some sort of service or attention junkie.

But for 2 pax - and I assume you are travelling with your other half - I'd grab the suites for what is probably going to be the best experience in the sky.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Travelling alone I wouldn't bother because biz is soooo good that you don't actually need to head to first unless you are some sort of service or attention junkie.

But for 2 pax - and I assume you are travelling with your other half - I'd grab the suites for what is probably going to be the best experience in the sky.
thanks! trying to get it ticketed now too but agent can't provide the 15% discount since I'm actually doing KUL-SIN.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rooivalk
thanks! trying to get it ticketed now too but agent can't provide the 15% discount since I'm actually doing KUL-SIN.
They shouls still give it to you, keep pushing or ask for supervisor. It is not your fault that their online booking engine su*ks and can't do mixed class redemptions. Usually people have been successful in getting the 15% online discount via the phone booking line in this situation.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
While First Class is very close to Business Class, Suites is definitely worth the additional points!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys - decided to go with the Suites. Will be travelling with my other half. Hope it's worth the extra 46k points! KF miles are hard to come by... I only have enough for 2 one-way Suite class awards
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Thanks guys - decided to go with the Suites. Will be travelling with my other half. Hope it's worth the extra 46k points! KF miles are hard to come by... I only have enough for 2 one-way Suite class awards
I did my first Suites flight two weeks ago SIN-LHR, using First Savers. I knew I had to try it and with savers available, I jumped on it.

Yeah, it's definitely for those who want tons of attention. The cabin crew are amazingly at your beck and call. The bed is excellent, of course. The privacy, fine, but not like I really needed it. I kept my door open when I was awake. Food was good, but nothing spectacular. A family with kids was travelling together and they really made use of the Suites, all four of them dining together in one of the middle block of Suites. I could see how that would be the best way to fly with your kids, if you could afford it. It seemed so luxurious, to be able to dine at 40,000 feet as two tables of two, next to each other and facing each other, with your partner and kids.

As for myself, I write to you sitting in the LHR SKL business class side, happy to have tried Suites but also happy I went with a biz redemption on the way back, rather than spend extra miles. SQ J class is so good already, in my opinion, I wouldn't spend the extra miles again (or $) for Suites again instead of J.

Regardless of all that, enjoy yourself on your first Suites experience!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal
I did my first Suites flight two weeks ago SIN-LHR, using First Savers. I knew I had to try it and with savers available, I jumped on it.

Yeah, it's definitely for those who want tons of attention. The cabin crew are amazingly at your beck and call. The bed is excellent, of course. The privacy, fine, but not like I really needed it. I kept my door open when I was awake. Food was good, but nothing spectacular. A family with kids was travelling together and they really made use of the Suites, all four of them dining together in one of the middle block of Suites. I could see how that would be the best way to fly with your kids, if you could afford it. It seemed so luxurious, to be able to dine at 40,000 feet as two tables of two, next to each other and facing each other, with your partner and kids.

As for myself, I write to you sitting in the LHR SKL business class side, happy to have tried Suites but also happy I went with a biz redemption on the way back, rather than spend extra miles. SQ J class is so good already, in my opinion, I wouldn't spend the extra miles again (or $) for Suites again instead of J.

My sentiments exactly. Totally worth it to try once, just for the experience. But for regular travel, SQ business is already so good that its really not worth the effort, either in terms of additional mileage or the hassles of trying to find availability for multiple seats etc..
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, CX Gold, SPG Plat
Worth

Originally Posted by cmdsea
My sentiments exactly. Totally worth it to try once, just for the experience. But for regular travel, SQ business is already so good that its really not worth the effort, either in terms of additional mileage or the hassles of trying to find availability for multiple seats etc..
Hi Cmdsea (aka Kafka on another website you know I think
Same here, have flown numerous times on the J long-haul and regional and I love it. but the Suites must be something else... hopefully !
I will be going back to CDG for Xmas in economy but returning to SIN in Suites, so I had to fork out the 91k, flying CDG-SIN on Jan 1st, 2014, what a best way to start the new year
What's good for Rooivalk is he/she will be leaving from SIN, so can go through Door 1 in T3 then 1st class entrance then 1st class lounge. For me, departing CDG, I get nothing, maybe the TG First class lounge, not even sure.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal

Usually the price structure for awards is 100 for Y, 200 for C and 300 for F.

SQ increased the pricing for C and kept pricing for F stable and now Suites is just 33% more points than Business Class instead of the usual 50% surcharge when it comes to redemptions.

Suites over Business comes with nicer seat, food and beverages but most importantly you enjoy a quieter cabin environment and can really sleep to the very last minute. Some fresh fruits and a cup of Mountain Blue is offered 30 minutes into arrival - not possible in Biz.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by SMK77
Suites over Business comes with nicer seat, food and beverages but most importantly you enjoy a quieter cabin environment and can really sleep to the very last minute. Some fresh fruits and a cup of Mountain Blue is offered 30 minutes into arrival - not possible in Biz.
In biz class today LHR-SIN I was snacking on breakfast and sipping Champagne
right up until we had to put out seats upright and stow tray tables, about 30 min before touchdown. Happens often enough. So, I dunno if that is truly a Suites only privilege.

Regarding quiet cabins: I was seated in 3A in Suites and 4A was vacant, so the crew offered to make my bed in that suite, allowing me use of both suites. Sounds great but big mistake. 4A is soooo close to the galley, it was noisy and I did not sleep well. I should have had them make my bed in 3A. Meanwhile, in the J cabin on the A380, the cabin is obviously much larger, so it is usually easy to find a row far away from lavs and galleys.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SMK77
While First Class is very close to Business Class, Suites is definitely worth the additional points!
Well technically, only the seat will be different, as service and amenities will be identical to First.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by cmdsea
SQ business is already so good that its really not worth the effort, either in terms of additional mileage or the hassles of trying to find availability for multiple seats etc..
Ironically it's sometimes easier to book 2x Suites than biz seats. Just depends on the day/route I guess...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Ironically it's sometimes easier to book 2x Suites than biz seats. Just depends on the day/route I guess...
That's true. Most of the time Business is not available whereas Suites are. I guess that's because SQ believes they can sell the Business seats more than the Suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.