Search

First time on SQ suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Delta Platinum, Fairmont Premiere
First time on SQ suggestions

Hi folks,

I'm doing a mileage run in a couple of weeks, and will be flying SQ for the first time. LAX-NRT-SIN and then SFO-HKG-SIN a few weeks later. Coach all the way, but I'm *G so will have access to the lounges, which I hear are quite nice.

Any suggestions regarding
1) the lounges available at LAX and SFO,
2) lounge tips/suggestions at NRT and HKG (ie: is there enough time for a shower between arriving and heading onward to SIN? Will NRT lounge be open in the early morning hours when our flight arrives?),
3) and general navigation through airports like SIN, HKG and NRT? They're unfamiliar territory for me.

Also, any suggestions on how best to spend one's time when one is in economy class of an A380 for hours on end? I'll have a few dozen to while away.

And just in general, anything that's worth knowing about flying SQ?

Any FT'ers planning to be on SQ 11 on Jan 25? or on SQ 12 on Jan 27?

Thanks,
T

Last edited by AirbusFan; Jan 14, 2013 at 9:53 am
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by AirbusFan
Any suggestions regarding
1) the lounges available at LAX and SFO,
2) lounge tips/suggestions at NRT and HKG (ie: is there enough time for a shower between arriving and heading onward to SIN? Will NRT lounge be open in the early morning hours when our flight arrives?)[/quote]
1. Yes. SQ lounge
2. NRT. Yes but pushing it. You need to clear security.
3. HKG. Yes lounge nearby. You need to clear security.
3) and general navigation through airports like SIN, HKG and NRT? They're unfamiliar territory for me.
1. SIN - http://www.changiairport.com/ (You will arrive and depart at T3. Huge Airport. Lots to do. Free everything eg wifi, charging, movies etc)
2. HKG - http://www.hongkongairport.com (Like a huge shopping mall)
3. NRT - http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/ (Can feel empty)
Also, any suggestions on how best to spend one's time when one is in economy class of an A380 for hours on end? I'll have a few dozen to while away.
Krisworld - http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/fl...movieslanding/

Over 80 movie channels, 100s of TV series, CDs, and games. You'll be occupied. Best to bring your own hi fi quality noise cancelling headsets. The ones on board aren't great.
And just in general, anything that's worth knowing about flying SQ?
Don't be afraid to press the call button ! And yes, the Singapore Girls are friendlier than the Air Canada FAs ! Ask them for postcards and sometimes playing cards. If available, they're there for you to take too.
Any FT'ers planning to be on SQ 11 on Jan 25? or on SQ 12 on Jan 27?

Thanks,
T
Enjoy your first SQ experience...!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

This is great info. Thanks!

Wish I could use some of my AP points for a *A upgrade, but I don't think I'm a) in the right class of service, and b) there likely isn't any availability in J anyway

But everything I hear about SQ's business makes me want to try it.

Thanks again.
T
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I see in some material that the SQ lounge has been closed at NRT and the choice is either the ANA Lounge or United Red Carpet club. Any preferences for quality and service?

And is the SQ Silver Kris lounge at HKG better or worse than the UA ones which are also available to *G flyers? I think I have enough time in HKG to visit both, but it's good to hear expert recommendations.

And I also see notes in a Wiki entry that SQ's "Silver Kris" lounges in Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 at SIN are not open to Star Alliance Gold members flying in economy. By "special arrangement" with the Star Alliance. What the heck?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I see in some material that the SQ lounge has been closed at NRT and the choice is either the ANA Lounge or United Red Carpet club. Any preferences for quality and service?

And is the SQ Silver Kris lounge at HKG better or worse than the UA ones which are also available to *G flyers? I think I have enough time in HKG to visit both, but it's good to hear expert recommendations.

And I also see notes in a Wiki entry that SQ's "Silver Kris" lounges in Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 at SIN are not open to Star Alliance Gold members flying in economy. By "special arrangement" with the Star Alliance. What the heck?
1. NRT - You will have to see where your plane is parked cos ANA and UA lounges are at opposite ends of the terminal.

2. HKG - SQ tends to park near their own lounges. UA's and TG's lounges are at the far end of the terminal. There really is no time for you to do both as the terminal is long.

3. In SIN, you get access to the Krisflyer Gold lounge for *A Gold members. SQ restricts its premium Silver Kris Lounge for Business / First class passengers only. The Krisflyer Gold lounge is like the AC Maple Leaf lounges. The Silver Kris Lounges are a cut above that. Better food too.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks! SQ's policies are all a bit confusing at first, but I think I'm getting the hang of it...and they way they name them.

Kind of surprised that there's no Singapore Lounge in LAX. There's one at SFO I see.
(Hope and assume that one is open to *G pax on Y tickets)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: LH, UA, SQ
Thanks! SQ's policies are all a bit confusing at first, but I think I'm getting the hang of it...and they way they name them.

Kind of surprised that there's no Singapore Lounge in LAX. There's one at SFO I see.
(Hope and assume that one is open to *G pax on Y tickets)
At LAX, as a *G you can use Star Alliance lounge at TBIT.
At SFO, you can use either SKL or United Club.
At NRT, I would rather go to NH lounge than United Club for the following reasons:
- NH lounge is nearer to the gate where SQ plane parks.
- NH Lounge has better shower as well as food with udon bar.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:43 am

At SFO, which do you think is the better choice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.