Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by kkjay77
JFK-SGN is 8890 miles and JFK-BKK is 8677 miles according to great circle mapper.
No current SQ aircraft (other than A345s) can do those routes.
Yes, not too different in length to LAX-SIN at 8770 miles. And really from a business perspective, SGN and BKK not in the same league as other transit points that SQ use to the US, such as NRT, ICN, FRA, DME & HKG.

Last edited by lokijuh; Nov 15, 2012 at 2:24 am Reason: Removed refererence to 787 from quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:52 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
JFK-SGN is 8890 miles and JFK-BKK is 8677 miles according to great circle mapper.
Can 787s do those routes?
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Yes, not too different in length to LAX-SIN at 8770 miles. And really from a business perspective, SGN and BKK not in the same league as other transit points that SQ use to the US, such as NRT, ICN, FRA, DME & HKG.
No. The 787-8's range is limited to 8200 miles. See:

http://www.newairplane.com/787/desig...eristics/787-8
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
No. The 787-8's range is limited to 8200 miles. See:

http://www.newairplane.com/787/desig...eristics/787-8
Oops I meant, yes I agree with OP, that nothing in fleet to match, and really questioning economics anyway. I missed the bit asking about 787!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:40 am

SQ has opened reservation on SIN EWR and SIN LAX route on/after 27OCT13, the launch of Winter 2013/14 schedule.

Of course, no time frame on when SQ will close reservation.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The cheapest fares I have found to experience these flights are from BOM: approximately $3,289 one-way to EWR or $2,830 to LAX. Many dates.

I would have thought that some good fares would be from CGK, BKK, or KUL, or perhaps an MI station, or maybe somewhere with a currency that is relatively weak against the USD like IST, but none of these were close.

Last edited by mecabq; Nov 18, 2012 at 9:09 am
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Can 787s do those routes?
SQ not longer have any 787 orders anyway.

The A350 had a range of 15,000 km i think the distance between SIN & LAX is 14,000 km.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FN-GM
SQ not longer have any 787 orders anyway.

The A350 had a range of 15,000 km i think the distance between SIN & LAX is 14,000 km.
Long range flights needing to carry great quantities of fuel will be an issue for a long time so the economics of LAX-SIN will always be an issue. Maybe when aircraft are even more fuel efficient?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Would be nice to know when it is going to go away for good and I will book it one way with KF miles. Would you recommend going EWR-SIN or SIN-EWR?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I don`t think I mentioned anywhere in my comments that I expect SQ to fly non stop to Canada, I had predicted in previous posts that SQ`s non-stops were just a publicity stunt and that sooner or later these will come to end.
According to Post #78 at this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-summer-6.html

The air agreement between Singapore and Canada permits "non stop flights" between the two countries only.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Privlige club Silver
Advice

Hi Guys,

Have always been thinking of doing the SQ 345 flight unfortunately its high price has always been a hindrance,
But now that its going i am trying for a One way
I would have about 57K Kris flyer miles once i transfer all my AMEX MR points,
It costs around 68K miles to do it one way from LAX and 73K miles from EWR to SIN, provided you take advanatage of the 15% online redemption

Which would mean i would need to purchase a further 11K or 16K miles

My questions

Which routing is better EWR-SIN or LAX-SIN or vv?

What are my best bet's to transfer miles or purchase miles?

And i do have around 12K miles in United can i transfer those to SQ?

Thanks

Karan
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:13 pm

They stopped A380 between JFK and FRA as well? I am bummed. I was hoping to take my son on his first A380 flight in march. Looks like Lufthansa stopped A380 between JFK and FRA as well. ...?!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by pcotten
They stopped A380 between JFK and FRA as well? I am bummed. I was hoping to take my son on his first A380 flight in march. Looks like Lufthansa stopped A380 between JFK and FRA as well. ...?!
That is just seasonal. It will be back for the summer.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by Karan
Hi Guys,

Have always been thinking of doing the SQ 345 flight unfortunately its high price has always been a hindrance,
But now that its going i am trying for a One way
I would have about 57K Kris flyer miles once i transfer all my AMEX MR points,
It costs around 68K miles to do it one way from LAX and 73K miles from EWR to SIN, provided you take advanatage of the 15% online redemption

Which would mean i would need to purchase a further 11K or 16K miles

My questions

Which routing is better EWR-SIN or LAX-SIN or vv?

What are my best bet's to transfer miles or purchase miles?

And i do have around 12K miles in United can i transfer those to SQ?

Thanks

Karan
Think of it this way, if you are based in the vicinity of EWR then the difference of 5,000 miles is $200, so can you get a trans-continental flight for $200? How much extra would you be willing to pay for Business class on that flight? I think its definitely worth it to pay the extra $200 to get that from EWR than from LAX

I'm not sure if there is, but if there is a way, then I'm sure it will nearly always be useless
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aviationp
Think of it this way, if you are based in the vicinity of EWR then the difference of 5,000 miles is $200, so can you get a trans-continental flight for $200? How much extra would you be willing to pay for Business class on that flight? I think its definitely worth it to pay the extra $200 to get that from EWR than from LAX

I'm not sure if there is, but if there is a way, then I'm sure it will nearly always be useless
J is free if you clear the WL using a CR1 or nothing using AA/DL.
Last year there were transcontinental flights for $200...
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:50 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by aviationp

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
J is free if you clear the WL using a CR1 or nothing using AA/DL.
Last year there were transcontinental flights for $200...
I would also consider the flight times and total travel times - flying via LAX would add several hours considering you have to allow time to clear customs (or to allow for your connection in the other direction), and would also depend on when the connecting flights are. That would add up to being at least 9 hours longer travel time in addition to possibly costing more.

Then again, if you live closer to JFK and don't mind a longer trip, it might be worth it to fly JFK-LAX then LAX-SIN (or vv) so you don't have to get across the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.