Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Would opening these routes to *A awards help keep them in service?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Would opening these routes to *A awards help keep them in service?
Oh please say yes!

And also, SIN-SYD-LAX anyone?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:35 pm

Back of envelope calculations

75% load factor, 2,700 USD average sector price (4000 USD discounted by 30% or so for kids, connecting flights, redemptions etc)

=400,000 USD per flight. Add 20,000 USD for some high yield cargo. 420k

Fuel burned 55,000 gallons at 3USD/ gallon, so 330,000 USD a round trip

Leaves you 90,000 to pay for salaries, landing fees, overflight fees, 2 nights hotel & food in NYC per crew etc. Let alone asset costs

Ouch.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by peasant
Back of envelope calculations

75% load factor, 2,700 USD average sector price (4000 USD discounted by 30% or so for kids, connecting flights, redemptions etc)

=400,000 USD per flight. Add 20,000 USD for some high yield cargo. 420k

Fuel burned 55,000 gallons at 3USD/ gallon, so 330,000 USD a round trip

Leaves you 90,000 to pay for salaries, landing fees, overflight fees, 2 nights hotel & food in NYC per crew etc. Let alone asset costs

Ouch.
What about pax catering, amenities, lounge access, mileage accrual etc.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:22 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 7Continents
I don't think anyone uses it to commute
I've been a long time lurker on flyertalk, and just joined to post my disappointment in SQ dropping these flights. Over the past two years I've flown SQ 37/38 at least once a month commuting from the US to Singapore. SQ 11/12 just isn't convenient for a US departure if you have to connect at LAX.

It seems like we keep going backwards in commercial aviation. We used to be able to fly supersonic across the Atlantic, and we'll soon have to be reminiscing about flying non-stop across the Pacific to Singapore.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by FLLDL
There are rumors that SQ got the A345s at minimal cost due to the aircrafts failure to meet performance targets, so SQ was willing to make a go of it until Airbus was able to swap them out for something better. This may have played a role in SQ not pursuing the 77L.
By the time the A340-500s retire/traded-in next year, they would have been in service for 9+ years. This is actually an average service life for SQ aircraft. Some of SQ's aircraft have been in service longer but 7 to 9 years of service per plane is about average for SQ. IMO, SQ really made a go of these routes for all 9+ years of service and had the perfect plane for its time that matched their requirements for these routes.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:56 am

One other thing. The A345 actually has a lot of common parts with A330/A340, so I would expect Airbus to break them for spares, rather than try and resell
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:57 am

So that's 500 New C seats available for SQ... any guesses where they would go?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:11 am

A bit OT, but with SQ ending this flight, what airlines fly all around the world?

The only one I can think of is NZ. Are ther others?

Although to be really technical, SQ was a few miles short of the accomplishment given the distance between JFK and EWR.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:17 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think SIN-EWR went eastbound in both directions due to winds.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...-2013-20121026

About time SQ got rid of the fuel pigs. Interesting how long they let this plane lose money. The route will continue to lose money for the next year.

So EK will be the last one flying 345's AC gave away its 2 A345's in receivership to TAM. TG could not get a decent price for the plane at breakup value.

I expect SQ got the planes at a deal and both AC and TG paid dearly for the junk.
PS TAM has grounded its 2 A345's

Last edited by why fly; Oct 26, 2012 at 5:32 am
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by IAD777
It is unfortunate to learn that SQ will no longer be offering these routes. I still have fond memories of my LAX-SIN flight on the A340-500.
Post replied to in error....

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 26, 2012 at 8:21 am
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by azlawyer
I've been a long time lurker on flyertalk, and just joined to post my disappointment in SQ dropping these flights. Over the past two years I've flown SQ 37/38 at least once a month commuting from the US to Singapore. SQ 11/12 just isn't convenient for a US departure if you have to connect at LAX.

It seems like we keep going backwards in commercial aviation. We used to be able to fly supersonic across the Atlantic, and we'll soon have to be reminiscing about flying non-stop across the Pacific to Singapore.
Yep, and we use to have space shuttles as well.....but now we pay the Russians big bucks to transport our astronauts to and from the ISS in an old technology Soyuz capsule.....

And welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
So where are the SQ A345's headed? The desert? Is there a market for the trade ins to Airbus?
Well, any of these SQ A345s could be converted into one heck of a long range business jet for someone with deep pockets for whom the price of Jet A is not a real big issue.......and Airbus would probably let the aircraft go at a very attractive price......@:-)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FLLDL
Revenue is only half of the equation. The costs make these type of flights brutally expensive to operate.

Per mile fuel costs are much much higher for ultra long haul flights, but the premium that passengers are willing to pay for such a flight dont necessarily cover the higher operating costs.

EWR-SIN non-stop is only about 3-4 hrs faster than some of the one stop options on the same route (via NRT/HKG/Europe etc). How much of a premium are pax willing to pay to save 3-4 hrs?
I seem to be in the minority here, but I took the SQ flight from SIN-LAX once a few years ago, and it was one of the worst flights I've ever taken. At 17 hours, it was simply too long to be entombed in a plane. Add to that the fact that the cabin temperature was set too hot, and the seat was the formerly slanted SpaceBed, and it was just a horrible experience.

From that point on, I have avoided any of the super-long-haul flights from Asia to the USA (including TG's old BKK-LAX). I'd much rather connect, get up and walk around, and get some fresh air.

I don't know how many more people feel as I do, but I'd pay a premium to avoid these flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.