Search

SQ international connection at SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO SL
SQ international connection at SIN

Hello,

I'm new to Singapore Airlines, and was hoping to ask a question re: making an international connection at Changi Airport.

We're flying PEN -> SIN -> HKG, both segments on the same ticket. Both legs are ticketed as SQ flights, although the first leg might have been operated by SilkAir (not sure).

The connection time is 55 mins. From what I read on this forum, this clears the legal MCT which is 45 mins, and people seem to routinely make SQ->SQ connections at Changi with approx. 1 hr connection time.

I was just hoping to sanity-check that the 55 min CT is generally okay? I was a little worried that

1. walking b/w terminals (if required) might eat up a chunk of the connection time (sorry, not familiar with Changi)

2. since this is an international connection, I wasn't sure whether the connection simply means walking from one gate to another, or if it requires going through passport control/immigrations etc. We won't have any checked bags.

3. is SilkAir treated like SQ, as far as MCTs are concerned?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
My honest opinion between SQ flights is that any connection below 20 minutes is an issue. Everything else I'd be fine with.

You will have to travel between terminals but there is a inter terminal train available for you
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:43 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
You should be okay. No immigration since you stay airside all the way, even if between terminals.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Jimbo
You should be okay. No immigration since you stay airside all the way, even if between terminals.
Yep what he said, You can use the sky train between terminals. I have made a 15 Minute connection at Changi before now. Its really easy at that airport.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:42 pm

Gate closes 10 mins before scheduled departure time, so you have 45 min to make the connection. Should be fine.
If you have to transfer from T2 to T3 (or vice versa) take the Skytrain.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Also security is at the gate which means you don't get landed in a big generic queue for security when transiting between flights, that removes one of the variables of transit time. [Note though there a couple of instances of multiple gates (A1-4 and B1-4) with same security checkpoint, but if you strike another flight (and long queue) at these and it is <15 mins before departure of your flight, just point out that you're flight is about to depart and security should let you through ahead of other pax]
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO SL
thanks everyone.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:17 am

I wouldn't chance it.You might make it but will the luggage?Try get an earlier connection if possible.

It happened to me some years back between Kuala Lumpur and Adelaide.I had just under an hour to connect so no problems but one of my bags went on the later SQ flight down to Perth and arrived back a day later via a domestic flight home.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by LOLABUNNY
I wouldn't chance it.You might make it but will the luggage?Try get an earlier connection if possible.

It happened to me some years back between Kuala Lumpur and Adelaide.I had just under an hour to connect so no problems but one of my bags went on the later SQ flight down to Perth and arrived back a day later via a domestic flight home.
If its a legal connection, and SQ permitted it, SQ personnel will be on hand to assist in the transfer.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by LOLABUNNY
I suspect for the OP, if luggage misses (not that it's likely I've made connections around this duration with no luggage problems), there are a lot more flights to HKG to forward the luggage on than to ADL! So delay to receiving luggage is likely to be much shorter.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My question is slightly different.

I'm arriving from Kota Kinabalu on a SQ flight operated by SilkAir on a separate ticket. I have 2 hours and 30 minutes before my onward SQ flight to Denpasar.

If there is IRROPS, will SQ put me on the next flight to Bali or will they claim that because it's separate tickets (or not SQ metal) that I'm out of luck.

Anyone know about whether these flights (SilkAir from Kota Kinabalu) are more or less likely to have IRROPS?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:30 pm

aren't all the connections @SIN international?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by miki13331
aren't all the connections @SIN international?
Yes, all flights are international since we're that small hehe..
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Yes, all flights are international since we're that small hehe..
this is partially true

for duty free allowance flight to/from Malaysia is excluded.

If you are a bona fide traveller above 18 years of age, have arrived from countries other than Malaysia and have spent 48 hours or more outside Singapore immediately before your arrival, you are granted the following duty free concessions for liquors:

Last edited by lingua101; Mar 26, 2013 at 1:51 am
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
First timer to Changi:

Arriving from ZRH with LX at 5:15pm and departing at 6:35pm with SQ to BKK. Does this still allow time to snack at any of the legendary *G lounges in SIN?

Thx for advices!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.