Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Ticket Upgrade at Gate?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Reward Ticket Upgrade at Gate?

I redeemed UA miles for travel on Asiana F from ORD to ICN. I would like to add SQ603 and SQ422 on 10/19 but united's website shows only economy seats available. Will Singapore let me upgrade to business at the gate if there are seats available?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sleepyinboston
I redeemed UA miles for travel on Asiana F from ORD to ICN. I would like to add SQ603 and SQ422 on 10/19 but united's website shows only economy seats available. Will Singapore let me upgrade to business at the gate if there are seats available?
You can't upgrade award tickets. Anyway, SQ doesn't do cheap buy-ups like North American carriers. If you have a revenue ticket and want to upgrade to next class of service, you pay the fare difference ($4000 in the case of my brother flying SGN-SIN-ZRH recently).
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
He's not suggesting paying, as he already has redeemed points for a F award. He was unable to book F or J on SQ due to availability.

To answer the original question, NO. SQ will not, IMHO, upgrade you from the ticketed cabin unless the change is done prior. Keep checking UA.com for availability.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both. I did some googling and learned that I can check *A availability on ANA. Found J award on SQ422 but not SQ603. Called UA and SQ422 does in fact have award seats. I might just book now and take your advice and keep checking back with UA for J seat on SQ603.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I had SQ do this for me in the lounge just before boarding was called - move me from C to F on a UA F award ticket where one leg was booked in C due to lack of availability at time of booking and up to day of travel (as far as ANA showed). However, the SQ agent called UA and after much discussion got UA to re-issue the ticket - so SQ was most willing but he really needed to push UA to make the last minute change. All in all I would not count on it.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pschafer
I had SQ do this for me in the lounge just before boarding was called - move me from C to F on a UA F award ticket where one leg was booked in C due to lack of availability at time of booking and up to day of travel (as far as ANA showed). However, the SQ agent called UA and after much discussion got UA to re-issue the ticket - so SQ was most willing but he really needed to push UA to make the last minute change. All in all I would not count on it.
SQ cannot upgrade UA issued ticket. SQ agent was being customer friendly by calling UA on your behalf. Only UA can upgrade UA issued tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.