Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade fare classes and availability

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Upgrade fare classes and availability

I'm looking at flying LHR-SIN-SYD one way on SQ late in Jan 2013. I want to book an economy ticket and upgrade either using KrisFlyer miles or a SAUA using United/Aeroplan miles. I have a few questions regarding this booking:

- on singaporeair, I'm only offered booking class E when choosing the Flexi ticket option. On Expedia, I get a YJOWGB fare basis ticket for USD1488 (details below), which would be perfect if that is really a booking class Y fare, i.e. one that can be upgraded using SAUA and gets 150% PQM on United. Is that plausible? Any way to book this on singaporeair.com?

- how do I check if a SAUA will clear before booking? Is checking for saver award availability on singaporeair.com the correct thing to check?

- since it's a two segment itinerary, is the miles required for the upgrades the amounts shown for Europe-Australia or Europe-Asia-Australia? Is it the latter if I make a stopover in Singapore?

christian

V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 YJOWGB Y‡O 988.00 ---- - -/ - EH01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-LON TO-SYD CXR-SQ TVL-31JAN13 RULE-GB01 IPREUAS/4
FARE BASIS-YJOWGB SPECIAL FARE DIS-E VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XEX OW-REGULAR EXCURSION
GBP 638.00 7575 E02MAY08 D-INFINITY FC-YJOWGB FN-
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 01MAY08/1258 EXPIRES INFINITY
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Don't know cos you gotta check with UA if you're using their points.

As for the stopover, it will depend on the purchased ticket, not the award.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
SQ seems to have a different inventory for upgrades and awards when it comes to third party bookings/upgrades. I had a situation where LH could book an award seat but could not upgrade my ticket. Even if you see a seat on SQ with the United booking tool, it might not be available for an upgrade.

Only way is to book and call UA...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Has anything changed with regards to being able to upgrade on the A380 using SAUA? Is this possible now?

Seems like SAUA would be slightly cheaper for my itinerary than upgrading using KrisFlyer miles (2x30K UA vs. 75K KF), I guess I can book an itinerary that has upgrade availability(*) and then try SAUA through United first and if it's not available then upgrade through KrisFlyer.

christian

(*) does saver award availability on singaporeair.com imply that a saver upgrade is available using KrisFlyer miles? If not, how do I check for KrisFlyer upgrade availability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.