Wiki Posts
Search

First Vs. Business on SQ1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
First Vs. Business on SQ1

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything addressing the topic:

is there a significant difference between the First Class and business products on SQ1 from SFO to SIN? If so, what is better about First?

Thanks for your input
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:24 am

I've not tried SQ1's Business, but I was very comfortable in First (although it's never going to be the same as the 747's F. I miss those seats). I heard that the J seats are a little harder than the F, but it is hearsay. Food-wise, it is my opinion that F choices are better than J. And I like the free PJs I can change into onboard (saves me the trouble of packing my own since I have to pack for my 3+ yr old too).
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harvardalumna
I've not tried SQ1's Business, but I was very comfortable in First (although it's never going to be the same as the 747's F. I miss those seats). I heard that the J seats are a little harder than the F, but it is hearsay. Food-wise, it is my opinion that F choices are better than J. And I like the free PJs I can change into onboard (saves me the trouble of packing my own since I have to pack for my 3+ yr old too).
I assure you that those PJ's are not free, you're paying thousands of dollars above business class prices for the convenience of not packing them

If I were the OP I'd go for business class and save the money. The main part of the flight is overnight and you can sleep equally as well in both classes IMHO and since SQ offers a "supper" service out of SFO on that flight you wont be getting the full dinner service in F (unlike CX). Unless you plan on staying up all night and drinking Krug and Dom I'd just slum it in Business and use the money/miles elsewhere.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
I have often found SQ 1's F service to be sub-par as compared to other routes at more decent timings. As noted, the meal service is abbreviated and rushed as FA's want to get it over with to allow passengers to maximize on sleep.

Ex HKG, the flight is short so you can't really compare it to long haul F, the usual breakfast service.

Hard product wise, not a whole lot different from biz - IFE screens are larger and your bed doesn't have a narrow foot well which forces you to sleep at an angle in biz class. Other than that I concur with others - save your money and go biz.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I assure you that those PJ's are not free, you're paying thousands of dollars above business class prices for the convenience of not packing them
Yeah, I know. But I try to ignore that fact by acknowledging it only in my subconscious and never saying out loud least my husband freaks out

Most of the time, I BTC Lobster Thermidor. I guess I've never thought about being hurried along because I'd start eating well after many have tucked in because I'd to make sure my little one ate/drank her milk, and sleep before I'd start eating, so I never felt being rushed. I then ply myself with at least 4-5 glasses on Dom And I like CX. Great service!

Perhaps business on SQ1 is a smarter economical choice.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thanks for everyone's input. I knew it was a late flight, but honestly it didn't even occur to me that I'd miss out on all the fun since we'd be sleeping through the night.

If I'm interested in getting the full experience of a flight like that am I better off taking something like SQ15 through ICN? Not quite as convenient with the arrival time, but I suppose then we would also be awake to enjoy the majority of the flight.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by CTcowboy
Thanks for everyone's input. I knew it was a late flight, but honestly it didn't even occur to me that I'd miss out on all the fun since we'd be sleeping through the night.

If I'm interested in getting the full experience of a flight like that am I better off taking something like SQ15 through ICN? Not quite as convenient with the arrival time, but I suppose then we would also be awake to enjoy the majority of the flight.
To get a full experience fly CX F!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by CTcowboy

Never caught either flight in F. SQ 1 was fine in J, and SQ15 in Y, which for Y was definitely the superior option. I found it nice having an early afternoon departure - so I wasn't tired, and arriving very late - it was great to go straight to bed without having to stay up beat the jet lag.

For the full experience SQ15 would have to be much more enjoyable. Plus you can have a shower at ICN if you want - not sure about the F side, but the J side of the SKL in HKG does not have a shower (although I think you could venture to the TG lounge for that if you had the time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.